appraising early CD titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
    "ole" LOL. Still all shining and new myself. Couple months out yet from my anniversary
    I am definitely old! This is a quiet little corner of the web. I prefer it over the busy boards. Whether it is a result of a smaller number of regular contributors or that management of the board by Dan and Brian, I find the discourse here more positive than on other boards. I also find that the post count varies greatly, at times very little is being posted and at times we get hopping.

Comment

As a moderator of another forum of similar interests and discussion, it's become progressively clear over the last few years that forums have lost serious ground and participation to other, newer bite-sized social media like Facebook, Twitter, etc. i still don't understand the appeal of these over forums, where one can really carry on a topic conversation in depth...but it is what it is. For me, I just plan to stay with forums as long as they stick around...guess we'll gray out together.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Ron - I absolutely agree. I miss some of the old forums that I frequented "back in the day."

I still occasionally use my LiveJournal and posted a pretty lengthy account of a convention I went to for my girlfriend and loved the feedback that I got on it. Didn't get anything like it from Facebook or even the few other people I shared it with.

I don't frequent too many forums anymore - but I think this might be my favorite. The volume is posts is VERY manageable and we lack the jerks and negativity. (Excluding me saying that Easton Press books are ugly, but you have to have one of those everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
          As a moderator of another forum of similar interests and discussion, it's become progressively clear over the last few years that forums have lost serious ground and participation to other, newer bite-sized social media like Facebook, Twitter, etc. i still don't understand the appeal of these over forums, where one can really carry on a topic conversation in depth...but it is what it is. For me, I just plan to stay with forums as long as they stick around...guess we'll gray out together.
          You nailed it with "where one can really carry on a topic conversation in depth". Facebook to me is a reflection of the texting and soundbite society we live in. I find that when I direct people to well written articles about things they are interested in they often will not read it because it is to "wordy". They want to know about the topic but want to learn about is soundbites. My wife really wants me to participate in Facebook and the more she shows me the less I want anything to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            I am definitely old! This is a quiet little corner of the web. I prefer it over the busy boards. Whether it is a result of a smaller number of regular contributors or that management of the board by Dan and Brian, I find the discourse here more positive than on other boards. I also find that the post count varies greatly, at times very little is being posted and at times we get hopping.
            I'd agree, Martin about our little corner of the web here. It definitely feels a lot closer knit. (I'm only a member of one other forum and that's plenty for me). We have our core little group that pretty must post everyday or (like myself) replies to others post pretty much everyday. Can't say I'm much of a contributor; have let to gain all the knowledge of the medium that most of you guys have. I also feel we can razz each other here a little more without getting feels hurt or others taking offense. Can't really do that as easily with a bigger group I don't think. While I'm a member of Facebook; I hardly ever use it anymore. Probably lots more I'm missing about the books and authors I'm interested in. Just too many folks spewing too much crap. Reckon I'm getting old myself lol. "You darn kids with your technology"!!

Comment

I enjoy the camaraderie on our forum. Any number of members have steered me to a new author or book, and even alerted me when a book I was looking for was up for sale. I've also purchased form members in the past and always felt like I got a fair or better than fair deal. It is a nice little "community" in the truest sense. The on other group I'm really involved with is librarything and I really enjoy them too.

Comment

Site's like Reddit have been / are the downfall of traditional forums and message boards.
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                  Site's like Reddit have been / are the downfall of traditional forums and message boards.
                  Even with the newer social media (Twitter, Instagram, etc.), I'm behind the times...I've yet to figure out (okay, granted, I haven't tried very hard) what Pinterest and Reddit are about. Even as slow and quiet as they've become, I hope forums stick around for a long while yet, as they're the only social media venue that feels like home.
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                    I hope forums stick around for a long while yet, as they're the only social media venue that feels like home.
                    I am with you on that brother. I have a niece who now lives with us and lives and dies by snapchat and after five minutes of explaining how it worked, my only understanding was that I am now officially old. Some things are just better by virtue of ease of use. Simple forums of dedicated long time users is one of those things.

Comment

Reddit is essentially forums / message boards in a different form. Not really a form of social media (like the other major forms of social media). I like reddit most of the time, the biggest downfall it has is the large variety of traffic, so it comes with a lot of idiots. For me I don't understand why anyone uses Instagram, it really just makes your pictures look worse. Don't even get me started on Pintrest (I have absolutely no idea what that's about).
                      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Pinterest is how I tell when my girlfriend is awake because she sends me pins.

Or how all parties are planned now it seems. And dinner is made.

Comment

Working...
                        X