appraising early CD titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

appraising early CD titles

I was glad to discover this forum..........unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have much traffic.........I have a few early CD titles (and other publishers); and I was wondering if there was a 'wanted' list by folks looking for books other than this one. I need to know what titles are worth without actually putting them up for sale...........

thanks, larry t

Hi Larry. Nope this is the only place. You're probably gonna have a hard time finding what you're looking for anywhere. Your best bet would be to search Ebay's history / ABE Books for the titles you're looking for.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

ebay's list of sold items is the best way to gauge a value, provided a copy (or copies) have sold in the last month. Active listings (unless there are bids) and books for sale on ABE should be taken with a grain of salt as a seller can ask whatever he or she wants for a book.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
        ebay's list of sold items is the best way to gauge a value, provided a copy (or copies) have sold in the last month. Active listings (unless there are bids) and books for sale on ABE should be taken with a grain of salt as a seller can ask whatever he or she wants for a book.
        Correct with ABE, if using ABE use a price from the middle of the pack.

Instagram

Comment

Not much traffic, what the *&^%$#!@* LOL!

Comment

With a few exceptions, CD titles do not typically increase in value nor, often, maintain value, though this small-press issue is certainly not limited to just CD and the market seems to continue to soften. If the author's last name is not King and you do not want to hassle with eBay and ABE (and, as suggested, taking the mid-pack/average price), you're probably safe looking at the inside dj flap price, reducing it by 1/3, and making that your fair-market value. If eBay is any gauge, some titles might be better assigned a 50% reduction or less, but generally speaking a 1/3 decrease in value is a normative guideline.

There are exceptions of CD titles with more stable value or increases in value, but they are few, unfortunately. If you want to provide a list, we can tell you if your collection contains any of these exceptions. Most of us are also versed in other publishers' releases, so can give you feedback on those as well if any of them stand out as exceptional values.
            Last edited by RonClinton; 06-10-2016, 12:57 AM.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by larry torre View Post
              I was glad to discover this forum..........unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have much traffic.........I have a few early CD titles (and other publishers); and I was wondering if there was a 'wanted' list by folks looking for books other than this one. I need to know what titles are worth without actually putting them up for sale...........thanks, larry t
              If you have any #81s from the Novella Series, I'd be extremely interested. I'll 2nd Ron's advise as well.

Edit: And welcome to the forum, btw!
              Last edited by Brian861; 06-10-2016, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                Not much traffic, what the *&^%$#!@* LOL!
                Behave, Mike LOL!!

Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                  Behave, Mike LOL!!

Spoiler!
                  He's not wrong. Compared to most forums of similar nature we have fairly low traffic.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                    He's not wrong. Compared to most forums of similar nature we have fairly low traffic.
                    Yeah, but that's all gonna change once I grow a goatee.
                    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                      With a few exceptions, CD titles do not typically increase in value nor, often, maintain value, though this small-press issue is certainly not limited to just CD and the market seems to continue to soften. If the author's last name is not King and you do not want to hassle with eBay and ABE (and, as suggested, taking the mid-pack/average price), you're probably safe looking at the inside dj flap price, reducing it by 1/3, and making that your fair-market value. If eBay is any gauge, some titles might be better assigned a 50% reduction or less, but generally speaking a 1/3 decrease in value is a normative guideline.

There are exceptions of CD titles with more stable value or increases in value, but they are few, unfortunately. If you want to provide a list, we can tell you if your collection contains any of these exceptions. Most of us are also versed in other publishers' releases, so can give you feedback on those as well if any of them stand out as exceptional values.
                      Hi Larry,

Yep, thats pretty accurate.

I'm sure a few of us would be happy to look at a list of the books you are trying to put a value on, and offer our opinions. Then you could probably get a middle of the road valuation.

I've been buying and selling small press horror for about fifteen years.

Good to see you here.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                        Originally posted by bugen View Post
                        Yeah, but that's all gonna change once I grow a goatee.
                        LOL, Andrew. Dan, I guess it really is just us same old folks posting most of the time. Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                          LOL, Andrew. Dan, I guess it really is just us same old folks posting most of the time. Good point.
                          I've been participating quite a bit more recently...and who the heck are you callin old dammit!! (lol)

Comment

Originally posted by ruderabbit View Post
                            I've been participating quite a bit more recently...and who the heck are you callin old dammit!! (lol)
                            "ole" LOL. Still all shining and new myself. Couple months out yet from my anniversary

Comment

As others have said it really depends on the author and book. I do think the value of some of CD's more recent releases and the general collecting market has begun to stabilize though.

Comment

Working...
                              X