Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    One thing to consider. If the only reason you are thinking of passing are the design elements. Mr. Suntup has tweaked each book he has published from the originally shown concept before publication. You may pass based on what you have seen so far and then like what ends up getting published. You have a tough decision to make and I wish you luck in making a decision that you do not regret later.
    Great minds,Martin!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
      Great minds,Martin!
      That's funny. I saw your comments shortly after I posted mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        That's funny. I saw your comments shortly after I posted mine.
        I think we are both genuinely looking out for Ron. And it's interesting because I can't pass on this book and for you, it's an easy "no." So he knows he's not getting an agenda. At least not from you!

Comment

I'll play the voice on the other shoulder though. I don't think it's a good idea to buy something in the hopes that the design will change. Especially if it's a major part of the current design. That's just asking to be disappointed.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I appreciate the shared perspective of you two , Jeff and Martin, but he'd have to change all external design choices (woven cloth, the front-board pic) and I believe that's highly unlikely...maybe some slight tweak, but not a complete overhaul. No, I just have to base my choice on the aesthetics that're in front of me...and I have less than 24 hours to convince myself that passing isn't the right decision. Anything else is, as Dan said, a losing gamble.

Tick, tock, tick, tock...
            Last edited by RonClinton; 04-12-2019, 08:28 PM.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
              I'll play the voice on the other shoulder though. I don't think it's a good idea to buy something in the hopes that the design will change. Especially if it's a major part of the current design. That's just asking to be disappointed.
              THAT is totally true. You can't count on it to change and the parts Ron doesn't like seem to be key in the initial design. So it's a total off-chance. But I still think he'll be able to sell it if he's unhappy. Again, I wouldn't be making the argument for it if Ron didn't adore the book the way I do.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                I appreciate the shared perspective of you two , Jeff and Martin, but he'd have to change all external design choices (woven cloth, the front-board pic) and I believe that's highly unlikely...maybe some slight tweak, but not a complete overhaul. No, I just have to base my choice on the aesthetics that's in front of me...and I have less than 24 hours to convince myself that passing isn't the right decision. Anything else is, as Dan said, a losing gamble.

Tick, tock, tick, tock...
                At the end of the day, Jeff can sign it for you when he comes to shoot his unboxing episodes to your house. He might even influence Joe Hill. It is bound to go up in value after that.
                Last edited by WebInterceptor; 04-12-2019, 08:32 PM.

Comment

I will say that I see what Ron is saying about the engraving on the cover. Seems the illustrations are more in alignment with the feel of the story than the image on the cover. They do look casual. Not enough to dent my delight in this edition, but I see your point, Ron. And I can't disagree.

Comment

Again, I wouldn't be making the argument for it if Ron didn't adore the book the way I do.
                    And I appreciate the cheerleading for the book...I sincerely hope Paul has a quick sellout to affirm the book's value to those who love it (along with those who are just buying it because it's Suntup and thus has a vague King connection and/or want to keep their subscription number and/or for speculation, etc.). It's our shared love for this book that's keeping me from tapping out on this one...any other book -- *any* -- and it'd be an easy decision. As it is and trying not to get hyperbolic about it, it's kind of heartbreaking for me that what is being offered is so far removed from the ideal that for years I'd envisioned of my favorite book.*

*Again, not a slam against Paul and his design choices...they're just not *for me.* If the nuances of book design preferences isn't a subjective thing, I don't know what is.
                    Last edited by RonClinton; 04-12-2019, 08:45 PM.

Comment

I will say that I see what Ron is saying about the engraving on the cover. Seems the illustrations are more in alignment with the feel of the story than the image on the cover. They do look casual. Not enough to dent my delight in this edition, but I see your point, Ron. And I can't disagree.
                      And it's the little things like that that instead become big things when it's featured front-and-center on the front, and become even bigger when the offering price is $300. For $300, one had better be pretty happy, or or least satisfied, with the product one is paying for.

I agree that the interiors that I've seen seem to be better reflective of the story, so it's unfortunate that that particular art was chosen for prominent cover placement. It's funny, had there been another picture in its place and just a simple but high-quality leather used on the boards, this would be an entirely different conversation for me, and my finger would have been on the Order button at 9am tomorrow.

Some might say those it's silly for me to let a couple simple design choices make all the difference, but those two features are what I see when I hold it closed in my hands and have it sit on the shelf, they are the most prominent and immediate and lasting visual components and representations of the book. I already have two 1st ed. HCs (U.S. and U.K.) on my shelf...this needed to be something that was visually special and stimulating for me, something that oozed pride-of-ownership on the shelf, to justify yet another edition of THE ROAD and the $300 expense, and unfortunately for me it just isn't.

Comment

I already have two 1st ed. HCs (U.S. and U.K.) on my shelf...
                        By the way, for anyone who hasn't seen the 1st U.K., here're a couple pics of it...I do like the art used, simple but effective.

roaduk1.jpg

roaduk2.jpg

EDIT: Number line is hard to read once I reduced and compressed the pic...for those looking for a 1st ed. / 1st printing, it's 1 3 5 7 9 8 6 4 2. Needless to say, like the U.S. edition, it went into many subsequent HC printings.
                        Last edited by RonClinton; 04-12-2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

To likely no one’s surprise, with ten minutes to go until the pre-order window opens, it’s now official: After more wavering this morning, I have decided definitively to sit this one out. Best of luck to those who are after a copy, and look forward to congratulating you all.

Comment

Congratulations for those who purchased a copy! I am sure it will be a stunning book.

Comment

To likely no one’s surprise, with ten minutes to go until the pre-order window opens, it’s now official: After more wavering this morning, I have decided definitively to sit this one out. Best of luck to those who are after a copy, and look forward to congratulating you all.
                              I purchased you a copy, Ron but I'll have to charge ya double. After all, friends don't let friends pay retail for books

Comment

As I've stated before, I'm passing on this one as well. The design doesn't grab me that much and frankly, I just don't have that kind of extra money right now. I made a major purchase recently and I just received invoices from Camelot and Centipede totaling over $500. Glad everyone who wanted one is able to get one.
                                Last edited by Sock Monkey; 04-13-2019, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X