No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got this one! No wonder I can never take advantage of CD's Great deals. Love all the art work in the Shattered Sea series, very well done.
    Half A War02292016195352.jpg

Comment

Absolutely killer! Big congrats! Do you have the other books in the trilogy too?
      I've been considering picking up those books too, have yet to delve into it though. Loving the First Law trilogy so far though... So I can't see why I wouldn't.

Comment

Thanks! I have all the Abercrombie books that Sub has done. I found him pretty early on, so I was looking for the limiteds. This series is not my favorite, sometimes it reads a little YAish, not as dark as 1st Law for sure. Enjoyable though. The neat thing is they're doing a slipcase for the set.

Comment

I got some fun new books the last couple of days.

First up - on Tuesday - I attended my first SFWA (Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America) gathering in Kirkland, Washington.

The reason of my going was that an author I really enjoy was going to be there as part of a mini-book tour promoting his first non-self-published novel. I've seen Jason Gurley on two separate occasions (one was at a library north of Seattle, and the second time was a brewery in Portland - beers and books - WINNING!)

I was able to get my copy of Eleanor (his novel) signed, along with the paperback ARC of the same, and a copy of a collection that one of his short stories appeared in (the same story in fact that he read at the brewery reading.)

Gurley.jpg
          Loosed Upon the World, Eleanor ARC, Eleanor

Quiet Town is his short story and my inscription reads "For Jason, who hasn't read it ... but that's okay!" The meaning behind this is that I told him I haven't read the story in the book, but I did hear him read it, which is a good start.

My Eleanor ARC was inscribed as "For Jason, who also never wins!" This is due to my making a comment that even though he did quite a few contests to win this ARC (and other books,) I had to resort to getting my copy on eBay. He also used a handy little stamp that says Time is a River, which he inscribed in my copy of the self-published version of Eleanor.

And finally, my hardcover of Eleanor:
          Eleanor.jpg

On the top is a sweet little drawing that Jason did for me. I saw a copy of this book on eBay that included a similar drawing, and I tweeted at him about what would it take to get a drawing too. He told me to ask nicely and smile. So I bought him a shot of a local whiskey.

And on the bottom my inscription reads "For Jason - Carl Sagan said "Books are proof humans are capable of working magic." Hope you find some here!"

I also purchased books from the other two participants in this reading. I hadn't heard of either before, but I enjoyed chatting with Susan Forest (who I shared a table with, along with her husband (who some fantastic stories of his own,) and my girlfriend.)

Updraft Immunity.jpg
          Updraft by Fran Wilde (To Jason - On your wings) and Immunity to Strange Tales by Susan Forest (Jason - So great to meet you tonight at the Pacific Northwest Reading series in Seattle!)

Even though Kirkland isn't very convenient for someone living in Tacoma (on a Tuesday evening,) it was still quite a fun night!
          Last edited by TacomaDiver; 03-04-2016, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Go**amn it, I forgot all about that signing...had every intention of going to get my Sub Press Howey set signed and pick up a signed ELANOR HC. And it's just down the proverbial road for me. Shoot.

Darn cool remarque, Jason.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

My other fun book that I received (on Monday I believe,) is the latest Harlan Ellison collection from Subterranean Press - Can & Can'tankerous.

The first thing about this book - which is practically impossible to capture in photographs - is the quality of the slipcase. It's possibly my favorite slipcase in my collection. It's a really cool dark grey color (that is bright red inside - which matches the overall theme of the book's design,) and is super smooth. It has has beveled edges which makes it unique when compared to my other slipcases.

ellison1.jpg

The grey/black and red theme is carried throughout the entire production. I'm really impressed. I think Sub Press truly outdid themselves here with the entire presentation.
              ellison2.jpg

Comment

That's awful!! If I knew I would have pinged you to remind you. I know that when I got my Wool set signed, Jason said that he had only signed one other set (from Argentina I believe) so I'm sure he would have enjoyed another one.

And I too love the remarque. Jason's a cool guy - my girlfriend thinks I'm stalking him, but I have progressed to getting a man-hug instead of a handshake and he always remembers her and my name (not that mine is tricky . . .)

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                Go**amn it, I forgot all about that signing...had every intention of going to get my Sub Press Howey set signed and pick up a signed ELANOR HC. And it's just down the proverbial road for me. Shoot.

Darn cool remarque, Jason.

Comment

Very cool! Especially love that inscription!

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                  My Eleanor ARC was inscribed as "For Jason, who also never wins!"
                  “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                  -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                    Very cool! Especially love that inscription!

Comment

Great additions. Glad the drive up to Kirkland was worth it!

Comment

That's awful!! If I knew I would have pinged you to remind you.
                        I appreciate the thought, but it's my own damn fault. Maybe this'll teach me to not rely on my pitted memory so much, and start using my Outlook calendar more for events like this.
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

My other fun book that I received (on Monday I believe,) is the latest Harlan Ellison collection from Subterranean Press - Can & Can'tankerous.

The first thing about this book - which is practically impossible to capture in photographs - is the quality of the slipcase. It's possibly my favorite slipcase in my collection. It's a really cool dark grey color (that is bright red inside - which matches the overall theme of the book's design,) and is super smooth. It has has beveled edges which makes it unique when compared to my other slipcases.

The grey/black and red theme is carried throughout the entire production. I'm really impressed. I think Sub Press truly outdid themselves here with the entire presentation.
                          That looks really nice! I have one on the way too. I didn't order it when it was first announced, but Sub Press had undersold the limited by 30 copies, so I ordered one a few days ago.

Comment

You're going to be impressed! It's a beautiful book. Enjoy.

I might have to buy the trade now just so I don't have to lug around my fancy version. (Yes, I read my signed books - OH NO!)

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                            That looks really nice! I have one on the way too. I didn't order it when it was first announced, but Sub Press had undersold the limited by 30 copies, so I ordered one a few days ago.

Comment

You're going to be impressed! It's a beautiful book. Enjoy.

I might have to buy the trade now just so I don't have to lug around my fancy version. (Yes, I read my signed books - OH NO!)
                              Yes, it is! It showed up yesterday. I'll have to read it when I get some time to just sit here at home with it. I read my signed books too, carefully, and they don't leave the house.

I still have to get back to Ellison Wonderland. I started the new introduction, but then got distracted

Comment

Received Hell's Bounty by the Champion Mojo Storyteller Joe Lansdale and his brother, John earlier in the week. I missed out when it went up for pre-order at SubPress. I knew I wanted the book, but I couldn't afford it as I had other books I wanted more. When it sold out, I was resigned to paying the inevitable after market mark up on E-Bay. Imagine my surprise when it showed up in stock at Amazon for only thirty bones. I couldn't pull the trigger fast enough.

Nice clean book. The Timothy Truman cover is amazing, just like the rest of the Lansdale titles he's done for SubPress. It was nice to see it utilized on the signature page as well. Super happy to have added it to my steadily growing Champion Joe collection.

edit: looks like it's available again directly from SubPress.
                                Last edited by Plasticine; 03-05-2016, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X