Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Draven Ames View Post
    My ulcers are doing horrible now.
    I have enough tums for both of us, my friend!
    http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

First of all, thanks to all of you that voted for my story,Nonbie. You don't know how much joy I felt when I saw the poll. I really thought it would get zero, maybe 1 (me). I've reread it, and I could have done so much more with it.

There are some great stories in the competition.It's like reaching into a lucky bag and finding some gems inside (have I shown my age?Do they even sell lucky bags anymore?).

I was trying to sleep, and having no sucess,it was maybe 4 am, and all that was running through my head was gotta eat,gotta eat,gotta eat,eat,eat. That damn thing was driving me crazy.I'm sure you've all had the experience of something stuck in your head ,continuing on and on like a broken record. But, the thought came into my mind,why they eat.Yes! That's why zombies eat,to stop that damn jingle! Genius!Ha!

Anyway, I read about the short story competition, and I thought that writing it would exorcise the jingle (it did).

Now, I was thinking of a title of the story, and came up with "Why They Eat." But, then I thought, it's a first person account, so the title is misleading, why not change it to "Why We Eat." Then I noticed that Nonbie sounded somewhat like zombie in a roundabout way, so, hey, I thought,that sounded better.

It bloody well doesn't.

So, question, if I had named the story "Why They Eat," would you be more inclined to read it?Doe the title influence you to read a story?
      http://damaged-mind-shattered-soul.com//

If knowledge is power, then I am powerless

Comment

Not sure who read my story, but thank you! Especially those 11 who voted for it. Much appreciated. =)
        "Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

The Eyesore Times | Shock Totem | Getcha Rocks Off

Comment

Originally posted by Kenwood View Post
          Not sure who read my story, but thank you! Especially those 11 who voted for it. Much appreciated. =)
          Hello Kenwood,
          I read your story. Twice in fact. It was VERY well done, and one of my favorites. Best of luck to you in your writing endeavors.

Comment

Hello Smokedragon,

Nonbie was one of my favorites. I'm not particularly a zombie fan, but I loved the humor and the fact that it was told from the zombie's pov.

In answer to your question, the title didn't determine whether I read the story or not. I actually read all of them. I do agree with you that the title wasn't quite right, and I can't think of a better one off the top of my head, but it didn't keep me from reading and enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by mstrom View Post
              I know exactly what you mean Craig. I once worked at a company that had bi-monthly layoffs over a two year stretch. After each gutting, the clueless executives would throw a survivors party in an attempt to boost moral. Of course, it had the exact opposite effect.
              Good God.

Comment

Originally posted by smokedragon View Post

So, question, if I had named the story "Why They Eat," would you be more inclined to read it?Doe the title influence you to read a story?

Smokedragon, that story rocked. It was like opening a closet door and being buried as all the contents came tumbling out. Wicked stuff.
                My two cents on the title - "Why They Eat" puts some distance between title and story, and rather than having everyone stand back and chew over the why, I'd be tempted to just drop 'em in with something more urgent and immediate and in tempo with the story itself - Gotta Eat, They Eat, Eat - or similar? Line 'em up in front of that closet door.
                http://louis-eldest.livejournal.com/

Comment

I enjoyed that story very much.
                  http://louis-eldest.livejournal.com/

Comment

Same
                    Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by smokedragon View Post
                      I am sure that in a contest such as this where there were so many stories to choose from, that the title has some bearing on views. As previously discussed, Meat Socks was a brilliant title. I mean just seeing that intriguing title instantly makes one want to find out what it is all about. As for my story, The Dark Caller I’ve also been disappointed with the title figuring some folks may assume that the story was a cliché about a babysitter and a mysterious phone caller. The original title was The Dark Presser which I chose because that is how many different cultures labeled the phenomenon of sleep paralysis. Yet for some odd reason, as I was submitting the story I had second thoughts and impulsively renamed it right before hitting the submit button. Afterwards it was too late to change the title so I was stuck with it...

Comment

Originally posted by mstrom View Post
                        I am sure that in a contest such as this where there were so many stories to choose from, that the title has some bearing on views. As previously discussed, Meat Socks was a brilliant title. I mean just seeing that intriguing title instantly makes one want to find out what it is all about. As for my story, The Dark Caller I’ve also been disappointed with the title figuring some folks may assume that the story was a cliché about a babysitter and a mysterious phone caller. The original title was The Dark Presser which I chose because that is how many different cultures labeled the phenomenon of sleep paralysis. Yet for some odd reason, as I was submitting the story I had second thoughts and impulsively renamed it right before hitting the submit button. Afterwards it was too late to change the title so I was stuck with it...
                        I didn't think about a babysitter once! I totally got Dark Visitor from your title! I also understood the sleep paralysis theme right away as well. I think the title is perfect. It's funny, titles are usually one of my stornger points and I have been complimented on my ability to think up perfect titles, but for my story here, I was stumped. I couldn't think of anything better than Dr. Johnson's Patient. I agree that a title with a lot of glitz is more likely to get read first, but I don't think it will have much bearing on the vote. A spectacular title with a so-so story will be just that, a so-so story. A humdrum title with an excellent story may not get read first, but it will stick with the reader for longer!
                        http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

this is exactly why i started another thread on how to choose a title - it so makes a difference. I noticed it before they divided the stories into groups of ten, my sucky title "Prepared" wasnt getting any hits and the more I think about it, the more I can see why. I would never buy a story called "Prepared" as it doesnt tell me anything about it AND my first thought is "boooo-ring"

but yet a book called "twilight" sells millions of copies..... :/
                          It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Comment

Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
                            I didn't think about a babysitter once! I totally got Dark Visitor from your title! I also understood the sleep paralysis theme right away as well. I think the title is perfect. It's funny, titles are usually one of my stornger points and I have been complimented on my ability to think up perfect titles, but for my story here, I was stumped. I couldn't think of anything better than Dr. Johnson's Patient. I agree that a title with a lot of glitz is more likely to get read first, but I don't think it will have much bearing on the vote. A spectacular title with a so-so story will be just that, a so-so story. A humdrum title with an excellent story may not get read first, but it will stick with the reader for longer!
                            Thanks! Now I don’t feel so bad about the title. I actually toyed with The Dark Visitor, The Dark Intruder, The Dark Bastard; I guess anything with Dark in it. Though the length limitation didn’t allow for it, I intended to convey that it was the main character’s suicidal thoughts that summoned the visitor, hence The Dark Caller seemed fitting at the time, but even so, I still think that The Dark Visitor has a better ring to it.

Comment

Like Caren said, a title might get you looked at earlier, but it won't make or break the story. I also got visitor from The Dark Caller. RJ, maybe Prepared isn't a gripping title, but it fit the story very well and didn't keep me from looking at it. I've never had a title keep me from looking at a work. In this contest, of course I read everything, but even in magazines or anthologies the name of the story won't make me skip 10 pages further and miss out on the story. A bad 1st page may make me skip, but not a bad (or even good) title.
                              "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
                                I couldn't think of anything better than Dr. Johnson's Patient. I agree that a title with a lot of glitz is more likely to get read first, but I don't think it will have much bearing on the vote. !
                                CW, I will admit, I read your title and something happened in my brain and instantly I was reminded of that film, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, only it merged with your title and became scrambled up in my head as, The Imagination of the Patient Doctor's Johnson, which, was quite perfectly the most perfect title to get me to read it.

Also 13, as a title, sucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X