Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Shining (in all its publication forms)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    It actually kinda reminds me of promotional art you would see for a Wes Anderson movie.
    Yes! This definitely reminded me of the Wes Anderson feeling of "I got my head stuck in the 4th wall of a diorama" (FYI, I like Wes Anderson). I didn't mention this because I wasn't sure it tied to the point I was making, but it's good to see that someone else picked up on this.

Originally posted by Theli View Post
    I do like the abundance of art in the Sub. Press edition, especially the smaller pieces like chapter headings etc.
    Agreed, and although I (for now) am not looking for Shinings beyond CD's (I'm not much of a collector, although the eye does wander), the SP edition will always be in the back of my mind, and those illustrations are the main reason for this.
    Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

This is a bit off-topic, and while I'm not trying to turn this into a bash-oriented thread, I feel I simply must share this: for anyone looking for artwork that is even worse (IMO! IMO!) than the South Park The Shining cover, go google Cor Blok's atrocious (IMO! IMO!) work for Lord Of The Rings. (Again - IMO! I know CB's work appeals to some; the man gets work, after all.)
      Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

Here's the best cover for The Shining ever!!

shining1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by St. Troy View Post
          This is a bit off-topic, and while I'm not trying to turn this into a bash-oriented thread, I feel I simply must share this: for anyone looking for artwork that is even worse (IMO! IMO!) than the South Park The Shining cover, go google Cor Blok's atrocious (IMO! IMO!) work for Lord Of The Rings. (Again - IMO! I know CB's work appeals to some; the man gets work, after all.)
          You know what... I just looked that up, I'd never heard of Blok before, and I must say I liked it more than I thought I would. I definitely see how his style would be very polarizing, but I liked it. It has a distinctly medieval appearance to it. And despite it's cartoonish or arguably amateurish bend I think it's actually a strikingly dark style. In a way it reminds me of Edward Gorey. Thanks for bringing him to my attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
            Here's the best cover for The Shining ever!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19434[/ATTACH]
            I haven't slightest idea as to what that has to do with The Shining. Hahaha.

Comment

You know what... I just looked that up, I'd never heard of Blok before, and I must say I liked it more than I thought I would. I definitely see how his style would be very polarizing, but I liked it. It has a distinctly medieval appearance to it. And despite it's cartoonish or arguably amateurish bend I think it's actually a strikingly dark style. In a way it reminds me of Edward Gorey. Thanks for bringing him to my attention.
              Yeah, I dig it too. I definitely got the medieval feel.

Comment

Ha, same here... I can see how it would be incredibly polarizing especially when you're discussing a project that has SO many fans, but I kind of liked it for what it is. I agree with you, re: the medieval appearance to the art. But I can absolutely understand how it would NOT be what someone was expecting, too.

Brian
                Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Working...
                X