The Listener by Robert McCammon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
    OK, I feel like I'm in a safe space here so I will go ahead and admit....I haven't read Swan Song yet either. Please don't judge!
    I don't what to do. This is definitely an emergency situation but it's unprecedented. No one who knows who McCammon is has ever not read SWAN SONG. I mean you need to be isolated with a copy immediately.

I need to reread it myself.

Comment

OK, I feel like I'm in a safe space here so I will go ahead and admit....I haven't read Swan Song yet either. Please don't judge!
      You just triggered me by that outlandish statement.

Make us both feel better and go read the thing.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

You are not alone. The only McCammon I have read so far is Boy's Life and to be honest I was not that impressed. The Listener will be my second McCammon and I will decide a path forward after that.

Comment

I like the Matthew Corbett series a lot , but I like historical fiction in general, throw in the weird and supernatural and I'm usually hooked. I enjoyed The Border, I know some didn't, but honestly, I rarely like everything a given author has written.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            You are not alone. The only McCammon I have read so far is Boy's Life and to be honest I was not that impressed. The Listener will be my second McCammon and I will decide a path forward after that.
            I loved Boy's Life. I also Loved Wolf's Hour and Swan Song. Actually I really like just about everything by McCammon that I have read. The one I liked the least so far has been Gone South and that was still pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
              WOLF’S HOUR is so good. That and SWAN SONG are his best.
              I read Wolf's Hour AFTER reading Hunter in the Woods, and I didn't enjoy it as much as the shorter stories. Maybe because the short stories took place over his entire life, instead of focused on one time period. Regardless, I still enjoyed Wolf's Hour and I haven't been much of a werewolf fan before.

I haven't either. It's on hold at the library (well, it's requested) so as soon as it becomes available I'll definitely be reading it.

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
              I don't what to do. This is definitely an emergency situation but it's unprecedented. No one who knows who McCammon is has ever not read SWAN SONG. I mean you need to be isolated with a copy immediately.

I need to reread it myself.
              I'm a second person who needs this intervention. But at least I own a copy AND have one on hold at the library . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                Y The only McCammon I have read so far is Boy's Life and to be honest I was not that impressed.
                Wow, sorry to hear that...I always felt that was one of his strongest works, right up there with SWAN SONG and WOLF'S HOUR as my top three McCammons.
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Great responses and conversation here guys! I've read MYSTERY WALK, MINE, I TRAVEL BY NIGHT, BOY'S LIFE, SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD, QUEEN OF BEDLAM and loved them all so I'm sure I'll love whatever I come across next from him. To those that have an opinion about my possible next McCammon read, WOLF'S HOUR or SWAN SONG?
                  Last edited by Tommy; 04-03-2018, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Great responses and conversation here guys! I've read MYSTERY WALK, MINE, I TRAVEL BY NIGHT, BOY'S LIFE, SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD, QUEEN OF BEDLAM and loved them all so I'm sure I'll love whatever I come across next from him. To those that have an opinion about my possible next McCammon read, WOLF'S HOUR or SWAN'S SONG?
                    I haven’t read Wolf’s Hour, so I’d have to say Swan Song. It doesn’t hurt that it’s also one of my favorite books.

Comment

Great responses and conversation here guys! I've read MYSTERY WALK, MINE, I TRAVEL BY NIGHT, BOY'S LIFE, SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD, QUEEN OF BEDLAM and loved them all so I'm sure I'll love whatever I come across next from him. To those that have an opinion about my possible next McCammon read, WOLF'S HOUR or SWAN'S SONG?
                      I preferred The Wolf's Hour. Swan Song just didn't hold together for me...I've read it at least twice and still not been impressed. I don't find it to be a bad book by any means, but it doesn't rate higher than a B+ for me.

Comment

Corrected my misspelling...

Comment

WOLF'S HOUR or SWAN SONG?
                          WOLF'S HOUR. It's so different than anything else I've read.

Comment

Great responses and conversation here guys! I've read MYSTERY WALK, MINE, I TRAVEL BY NIGHT, BOY'S LIFE, SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD, QUEEN OF BEDLAM and loved them all so I'm sure I'll love whatever I come across next from him. To those that have an opinion about my possible next McCammon read, WOLF'S HOUR or SWAN SONG?
                            I Travel by Night is my favorite book from McCammon! Shocking to some people, I know. I actually just received the limited edition of it today. Loved The Wolf's Hour! Currently in the middle of Swan Song and am enjoying it for the first time. I still have many more novels of his to read. Just started reading him last year.

Comment

Any word on the progress of the signed/limited edition of The Listener? I think the last information we received was that the slipcases would be ready for an August ship date. (Possibly sooner or later.) Do we know if it's going to be sooner or later?

I am anxious to see this edition. (But waiting patiently.)

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
                                Any word on the progress of the signed/limited edition of The Listener? I think the last information we received was that the slipcases would be ready for an August ship date. (Possibly sooner or later.) Do we know if it's going to be sooner or later?

I am anxious to see this edition. (But waiting patiently.)
                                Expecting an update from our slipcase maker this week and will post what I hear!

Brian
                                Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                                My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Working...
                                X