Barnes & Noble was just sold...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    It's mostly because the overhead on Redbox is basically nothing and the movie studios don't have any control over RedBox's pricing. RedBox buys the movies once then rents them out, they don't have to pay a "per rent royalty". The digital renting prices are negotiated between the studios and the company doing the renting, the company renting gets a cut and the movie studios get a cut. They're also not really looking to compete with Redbox in terms of pricing. The way they compete is in convince.
    Most people think that it was Netflix streaming that killed Blockbuster and the like. I had an employee at one shop tell me before they closed down that it was actually Redbox. You just can't compete with a buck a night. That being said, I've never been a Redbox person, not just because I tend to buy the majority of my movies, but because I hate the idea of just standing in line waiting to look through a selection and then when it's your turn you can't really browse as people are breathing down your neck for their turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
      Most people think that it was Netflix streaming that killed Blockbuster and the like. I had an employee at one shop tell me before they closed down that it was actually Redbox. You just can't compete with a buck a night. That being said, I've never been a Redbox person, not just because I tend to buy the majority of my movies, but because I hate the idea of just standing in line waiting to look through a selection and then when it's your turn you can't really browse as people are breathing down your neck for their turn.
      I've heard that theory as well. But Blockbuster had been struggling for awhile before RedBox became popular. Netflix didn't add streaming until something like 2007 and Blockbuster was already struggling at that point. I think it was a combination of Netflix's mail DVD service, Redbox's rising popularity, and Blockbusters high costs and high late fees (and probably over saturation) that really killed them. I mean looking back at it, who would want to bay $7 to rent a movie for the weekend when you could pay $15 a month for Netflix and get 3 movies at a time and be able to keep them as long as you wanted.

On a side note, you've heard why Redbox is called Redbox right? They started the company in the hopes that they would get bought out by Netflix. Also you can skip the lines with RedBox, I believe you can browse the selection from you phone, reserve it, then just go to the specific Redbox and pick it up.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
        Yeah! What Dan said, Keith LOL. Standing in line is a rookie move Although, you do have to wait til the box browsers clear out to get your movies. I've really never ran into that issue though.

It is convenient to rent from home but I'm too cheap. Although I don't think Redbox's streaming service is that much more to rent.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
          Yeah! What Dan said, Keith LOL. Standing in line is a rookie move Although, you do have to wait til the box browsers clear out to get your movies. I've really never ran into that issue though.
          I was wondering why all the kids these days point and laugh when I'm at the Redbox...

Comment

Whichever way I genuinely trust physical book shops can urdu news proceed for a long time. The experience of shopping face to face, especially for books, is an encounter that web based shopping can't supplant.
            Last edited by LUCIOTTO; 09-19-2019, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X