No announcement yet.

Best Dark Tower book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since the last re-read my order of favourites goes ...

1. Wizard & Glass
    2. The Wastelands
    3. The Wolves of the Calla
    4. The Gunslinger
    5. The Dark Tower
    6. The Drawing of the Three
    7. Song of Susannah

Comment

An interesting order there.
      Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
        An interesting order there.
        Why's that then???

Comment

Oh, LOL. Nothing to read into there. I was just saying it was an interesting order is all, and trying to consider what my own order might look like. I guess it would be this...

1. The Gunslinger
          2. The Drawing of the Three
          3. Wizard & Glass
          4. The Wolves of the Calla
          5. The Dark Tower
          6. The Wastelands
          7. Song of Susannah

But then again, I haven't read them for some time, so that might change if I did so.

Comment

Haha no worries. Which do you prefer (if any) out of the original and the revised Gunslinger?

Comment

I couldn't say. I've only ever read one version and since I bought it right away I am guessing it is not the revised one?

Comment

I think the revised was published just before the release of 'Wolves of the Calla', so yeah i guess you read the original (which i admit to never reading).

Comment

One of the things I like about the original was it's little inconsistincies with the rest of the series. Ex. Roland's father being Roland the Elder in the original and Steven in the rest of the books. Later, when King becomes a character, he admits that he sometimes misinterprets Gan's voice and gets things wrong. I thought that added a little texture to the whole reading experience. But I can understand why he revised it.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Join the fun, Squire!

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...d-Glass-(1997)

sk

Comment

Siep, old friend, where have you been hiding? Lots of people here have missed you.
                      "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Hiding?
                        Nah, you've just not been looking in the right places...

sk

Comment

Good to hear from you again.before I figured out how to use this forum I enjoyed following your posts and looking at your collection.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                            Good to hear from you again.before I figured out how to use this forum I enjoyed following your posts and looking at your collection.
                            Yeah frik I wondered where you went to also. I miss the arguments we'd get into. LOL that's probably not the right word, let's say "disagreements", that's more politically correct I think.

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                              I don't know if King ruined it that way.
                              For some people he did, for others, he didn't.
                              Personally, I wish he hadn't put himself in this series.
                              I'm pretty sure if he hadn't had his accident, the final three volumes would have turned out much differently.

sk
                              I believe if he had not had his accident the final three books might not have been written at all, or would have taken him alot longer to get around to even doing. I think putting himself in there was genius. With all the other worlds out there and knowing that Jake's and Eddie's worlds were not really "our world", throwing himself in there made the writer think more about the possibility of our world being just one of many, thus helping submerge the reader further into the story.

Comment

I've just finished The Wind Through the Keyhole and I thought I'd try to insert in my rankings.

1. The Drawing of the Three. Narratively, imaginatively superior to all the others.
                                2. The Wind Through the Keyhole--simply a joy to read; narrativitely simplistic, but the depth and passion of King's vision is unsurpassed in this seemingly unlikeiest of sequels.
                                3. The Wastelands. The first half continues the narrative of TDot3. The second part is not as good, but still scores narratively.
                                4. Song of Susannah. Exciting and revealing with an unique structure compared to the rest.
                                5. The Gunslinger. Narratively simplistic, but well-written and exciting.
                                6. The Dark Tower. A satisfying conclusion to the series..and a beginning.
                                7. The Wolves of the Callah. Well written and exciting, but a lack of creativity keeps it at the bottom.
                                8. Wizard and Glass. Narrative problems, combined with an unreliable narrator and a lack of creativity.

Spoiler!

I warned you.
                                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Working...
                                X