Joe Hill - Full Throttle:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    That then means there are 1900 ( 750+150+500+500) official signed copies…combine that with the copies he’ll sign for inventory at his tour stops, and I’m surprised Hill signed books retain any value at all, given that kind of saturation.
    With the B&N edition, then, for which I’ll go out on a limb and say it’s around 600 copies, that means there are 2500 official signed copies. If he signed 1000 for Barnes & Noble, which is possible, then we’re looking at ~3000.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

That then means there are 1900 ( 750+150+500+500) official signed copies…combine that with the copies he’ll sign for inventory at his tour stops, and I’m surprised Hill signed books retain any value at all, given that kind of saturation.
      Mr. Hill has addressed this in the past. Early on when his family links were revealed there was a seller on eBay selling "Signed" copies of some of his comics that he had never signed. He reached out to both the seller and eBay and neither cared. He took the steps to publicly out the seller and made arrangements to provide actually signed copies of his books. He continues to offer signed books through a local independent bookstore. They take orders and he drops in periodically. They then mail the books. I personally could not care less about market saturation, perceived value or resale value. Mr. Hill has an easily copied signature. I am pleased that I can know without a doubt that every "Signed" Hill item I have is truly signed by him. I have also watched Hill sit at Powell's and sign every item he had involvement in that a person presented to him. He actually stated "I will sign everything you have I just ask if you have more than three items please wait until those with fewer items are taken care of".

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        Mr. Hill has addressed this in the past. Early on when his family links were revealed there was a seller on eBay selling "Signed" copies of some of his comics that he had never signed. He reached out to both the seller and eBay and neither cared. He took the steps to publicly out the seller and made arrangements to provide actually signed copies of his books. He continues to offer signed books through a local independent bookstore. They take orders and he drops in periodically. They then mail the books. I personally could not care less about market saturation, perceived value or resale value. Mr. Hill has an easily copied signature. I am pleased that I can know without a doubt that every "Signed" Hill item I have is truly signed by him. I have also watched Hill sit at Powell's and sign every item he had involvement in that a person presented to him. He actually stated "I will sign everything you have I just ask if you have more than three items please wait until those with fewer items are taken care of".
        Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with that practice at all, of signing anything and everything, to saturate the market if there is a willing audience for it. More power to capitalism and to him -- to a friendly, engaging, and talented guy -- and I'm glad thousands of folks get to enjoy a signed book by him. Ray Bradbury was the same way.

My only point was that I'm surprised that with that saturation that his limited editions -- Sub Press, PS Pub., Suntup (AGE, etc.) -- continue to enjoy a generally stable amount of resale value. One would think that type of saturation would dilute the market to some degree and undermine their LE's values. And perhaps it has, I don't really keep a close eye on the variations of the Hill market, but from what I've seen it doesn't seem to have done so to any large degree.

Perhaps the two audiences -- signed trades and limited editions -- are distinct enough that a saturation of one doesn't really impact the other.

Comment

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with that practice at all, of signing anything and everything, to saturate the market if there is a willing audience for it. More power to capitalism and to him -- to a friendly, engaging, and talented guy -- and I'm glad thousands of folks get to enjoy a signed book by him. Ray Bradbury was the same way.

My only point was that I'm surprised that with that saturation that his limited editions -- Sub Press, PS Pub., Suntup (AGE, etc.) -- continue to enjoy a generally stable amount of resale value. One would think that type of saturation would dilute the market to some degree and undermine their LE's values. And perhaps it has, I don't really keep a close eye on the variations of the Hill market, but from what I've seen it doesn't seem to have done so to any large degree.

Perhaps the two audiences -- signed trades and limited editions -- are distinct enough that a saturation of one doesn't really impact the other.
          Nothing against you, Ron but it does come up every time Hill releases a book about all the sigs he does and again, not directed at you, as Martin pointed out, a true Hill fan could care less. I too get many of my Hill sigs from the same source as Martin. The difference is I try and get as many personalized as possible and the only true value in that is to yours truly. My kids will be sorely disappointed if they think they'll get rich off my Hill collection someday lol

He limiteds can be quite valuable from a money stand point alone. I think it's due to the limitation of some of those productions and the quality of the production.

Comment

Apparently Goldsboro has increased their limitation of FULL THROTTLE from the originally-announced signed/numbered 150 I ordered it at to, now, 250. Not cool at all. >:-( But since I’m not stepping up to the $175 Sub Press edition, I guess I’ll keep my order rather than cancel it out of principle and displeasure.

Comment

I can’t decide about the Sub Press edition. $175 is steep as we are all aware. And I think that I’m beginning to reevaluate my purchases because this hobby is definitely expensive so I need to be smarter and a lot more selective.

Comment

Apparently Goldsboro has increased their limitation of FULL THROTTLE from the originally-announced signed/numbered 150 I ordered it at to, now, 250. Not cool at all. >:-( But since I’m not stepping up to the $175 Sub Press edition, I guess I’ll keep my order rather than cancel it out of principle and displeasure.
                Interesting. I wonder if demand was higher and they went back to the well or if the original number was a misprint? I have this one and the Subterranean Press edition on order. I already have the ARC and will add a signed version when he is in Portland. I am not going to order any other signed versions.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                  I can’t decide about the Sub Press edition. $175 is steep as we are all aware. And I think that I’m beginning to reevaluate my purchases because this hobby is definitely expensive so I need to be smarter and a lot more selective.
                  The SubPress edition is an easy pass for me. I have a signed trade edition on order and I just bought Suntup's BROTHER. I'm also getting some Earthling editions. This is also why I passed on the Horns art portfolio. That was a little harder to do.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                    I have made a concerted effort to buy fewer books in the last two years. I actually think I have spent more money though. I remain on the fence about the newest Suntup offering out of a simple desire to stop the bleeding.

Comment

I have made a concerted effort to buy fewer books in the last two years. I actually think I have spent more money though. I remain on the fence about the newest Suntup offering out of a simple desire to stop the bleeding.
                      I hear you on that. I'm going to have to be an adult pretty soon. I have a feeling that my purchasing will be very limited to a small handful of publishers and only for some must have titles. CD will definitely be one of those publishers. So will Suntup. Paul's editions are more than worth the asking price. And I will at the very least own every AGE he publishes.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                        The SubPress edition is an easy pass for me. I have a signed trade edition on order and I just bought Suntup's BROTHER. I'm also getting some Earthling editions. This is also why I passed on the Horns art portfolio. That was a little harder to do.
                        The limited edition of Full Throttle was an easy buy for me. No hesitation. I loved what the publisher did with NOS4A2 and the 8x8 trim size matches what they did with The Weight of Words which is a beautiful book. I remain firmly entrenched on the fence about Brother. I am hearing great things about the story and trust Suntup to deliver quality but she may be my 'Bentley Little' so I continue to hesitate. I did pause on the Horns Art Portfolio for about 10 minutes. I then remembered passing on the It portfolio and the fact I have the ARC, AGE and limited version of the book and just went for it.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                          I hear you on that. I'm going to have to be an adult pretty soon. I have a feeling that my purchasing will be very limited to a small handful of publishers and only for some must have titles. CD will definitely be one of those publishers. So will Suntup. Paul's editions are more than worth the asking price. And I will at the very least own every AGE he publishes.
                          Being an adult is highly overrated! I have passed on two Suntup editions and will be happy to pass others if they are not books I want to read and have on my shelf. I will be less happy to pass, but may have to, if they are books I am interested in and are price prohibitive.

Comment

Self-restraint is not a strength of mine when it comes to books, but I have tried to do better the last year...changing habits after 30+ years of doing this thing, though, is a bit tough. Not that I've always bought everything I wanted, of course, but the practice of being more selective, of not fearing of losing out on what may or may not become a scarce item, is something I've tried to improve this year, and, for the most part, I think I've succeeded. Ain't easy, though.

EDIT: The art portfolios, however, are (fortunately) an easy pass for me. That kind of thing -- prints kept in a cardboard flat box and stowed away (presumably people aren't framing and hanging dozens of prints) -- just isn't for me. For me, it's all about the books, and I know that while I may not re-read many of my books and once shelved only handle them periodically, I can at least see their spines each time I glance at a bookcase. I did buy one of the Hard Case Crime prints that Suntup offered, but A). it's an image of a book from a favorite noir author that I actually contacted the artist about many years back to see if he personally sold prints of his work (he didn't, at that point), B). it's just one print and it's one that I've loved since it was published as a cover, and C). I have it framed, matted, and hanging in my office so I can see it everyday.

EDIT 2: Here's the 7/22/18 tweet of it with pics: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...939023872?s=20
                            Last edited by RonClinton; 08-12-2019, 07:10 PM.

Comment

The art prints and portfolios are something that I was buying but have recently stopped. In fact I just cancelled my order for the Sleeping Beauties portfolio because I have no need for it. Also stopped buying the CD DD portfolios too. I have far too many other posters and prints that I want to hang so I don’t need to add to that pile.

Comment

The limited edition of Full Throttle was an easy buy for me. No hesitation. I loved what the publisher did with NOS4A2 and the 8x8 trim size matches what they did with The Weight of Words which is a beautiful book.
                                Making it harder to say no.

Comment

Working...
                                X