No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am currently reading NO SHARKS IN THE MED by Brian Lumley, and am kind of remembering why I don't read him often. Oh well.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      Pick any of his books from '76 to '88, and you're sure to to have a great read. Anything before (his early sci-fi is hit and miss) or after LIGHTNING or maybe MIDNIGHT, and my Guarantee of Satisfaction is null and void.

Interestingly, '95's INTENSITY, that you mention, is one of the very few post-'88 books I'd recommend (and do, as I recall it being quite good).
      I know I have read several Koontz books but for the life of me I can't think of another by name. Intensity really stuck with me. Beyond that my brain muddles Koontz and Crichton as the same person. Both authors that I enjoyed and quickly burned out on. I was thinking Congo as another good Koontz read and realized it was a Crichton book.

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
        Not a fan of the second half (post accident) of the Dark Tower series (Books 5, 6, & 7). B
        Hopefully there aren't any TDTers lurking but the only books from the series that I really enjoyed was 2&4. Although, to be fair, I have yet to read TWTTK.

Comment

I have read a number of his books (that is not saying much as there seems to be a million of them) but I did enjoy them in a quick read kind of way. There are some exceptions to that but overall the bulk I've read felt a little flat and formulated. In other words not much teeth to them. He has a huge following so I'm sure I'm in the minority on my opinion.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
          When I first read Koontz I enjoyed him but after a few stories I just did not feel the need to return. Of the very limited number I have read Intensity stands out in my memory as a very good read.
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Luckily you are on a different site saying this.

I enjoyed the series as a whole and did find book 6 to be my least favorite followed closely by book 4. Of course my favorite is book 1 which is not typical for many fans of the series.

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
            Hopefully there aren't any TDTers lurking but the only books from the series that I really enjoyed was 2&4. Although, to be fair, I have yet to read TWTTK.
            Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

For the first time in months, I am only reading one book. I don't even remember the name of this book, but it is a compilation of the author's horror movie reviews, from A-Z, over a fifteen-year period. I borrowed it on my Kindle on October 1st, and I'm only 43% done. This is the LONGEST....FUCKING....BOOK....that I've ever read. It's a fun read, and I'm finding a lot of good viewing ideas, but this fucking book needs to end.
              http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I just finished Charlaine Harris's An Easy Death. I haven't read anything from her before, but know who she is because of True Blood (which I've never watched,) and the various Aurora Teagarden mysteries that my wife watches on Hallmark, and after finishing this book, I probably won't be reading anything else.

The premise sounded interesting, very similar to some of the Dark Tower ideas - a gunslinger (basically hired bodyguard who's good at shooting,) living in an alternate history/past America, with some magic thrown in. Really wanted to like it, but it just felt so juvenile. Quite rambling at times, and then at other times the focus changes mid-paragraph as to what is going on or where/when the character is at. Maybe she needs an editor to keep her on track . . .

My next read is volume two of The Books of Babel from Josiah Bancroft - Arm of the Spinx. Enjoyed the first quite a bit, and am anxious to get started on the second volume. I first learned about this series from Bill at Sub Press (and yes, I purchased the signed editions because why not, it's only money.)

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
                  It's a fun read, and I'm finding a lot of good viewing ideas, but this fucking book needs to end.
                  I've read a few like this before - it's worse when you're not enjoying it. I really need to learn to quit books . . .

Comment

Thanks to a recent thread on this forum I am currently reading LIVE GIRLS by Ray Garton. I had read this book back in the late 1980s but I hadn't thought about it in years. The copy I read back then was a paperback loaned to me by a friend. For my re-read I felt the need to acquire the same paperback edition that I had read way back when. So far it is just as sleazy and enjoyable as I had remembered.

Live Girls.jpg

Comment

I finally finished The Transfiguration of Mister Punch. I'm almost 3/4 through The Lone Ranger Omnibus Vol. 1 and I've sunk my reading teeth into Target Rabaul: The Allied Siege of Japan's Most Infamous Stronghold, March 1943-August 1945 by Bruce Gamble. Target Rabaul is the last book in the Rabaul non-fiction trilogy.
                      I did a review of The Transfiguration of Mister Punch in the Book Market where I have listed it for sale.

Cap
                      Last edited by c marvel; 11-24-2018, 05:00 AM.
                      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Currently 3/4 of the way through The Outsider by Stephen King and really enjoying it. Best thing he's written since Duma Key, maybe since The Green Mile.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                          Currently 3/4 of the way through The Outsider by Stephen King and really enjoying it. Best thing he's written since Duma Key, maybe since The Green Mile.

B
                          Duma Key. The last great King novel.

Comment

I finished The Lone Ranger Omnibus Vol. 1-Still reading the book on the history of Rabaul by Bruce Gamble. I've started reading The Divine Eccentric: Lola Montez And The Newspapers by Doris Foley.

Cap
                            Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                              Duma Key. The last great King novel.

No love for 11/22/63? I loved Duma Key but I thought 11/22/63 was as good or better.

Comment

THE MAMMOTH BOOK OF HALLOWEEN STORIES edited by Stephen Jones

Quite a few nice surprises. I'm enjoying this very much.
                                Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
                                Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
                                X