No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are on a budget I would look at Kia. My brother in-law ran the wheels off of a Kia Sportage (now defunct model) and my wife has been driving a Kia Soul for a few years now with no issues. In the past we have always enjoyed Toyota vehicles as well but they were always a bit pricier. We have had a Rav4 and Highlander (and Camry and Tacoma) and have enjoyed them all.

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    Depends how much you want to spend and how long you plan to keep it. If you keep your cars past the warranty period, I'd go for a Toyota Highlander.
    The Kia Sorento also gets good reviews, as does the Mazda CX-9, the Hyundai Santa Fe, and the Honda Pilot.

My mechanic recommends staying away from Nissan - he's replaced a few Nissan engines lately.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

We shopped for a compact SUV for my wife a few years ago, and my research, testing (and hers), etc. had us come away with a '15 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD. We've had it now for three years -- bought new in 2015 -- and have no trouble with it whatsoever. It's a little underpowered and the seats are a little firm (or "sporty" as the literature labels it), but otherwise it's been a fine car.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Normally I'd be all about a Kia, but the car I'm replacing is a Kia and given it has full engine failure at 150,000 miles on a hybrid (which should run well over 200k), I'm a bit hesitant to buy another Kia. I'm thinking about a Hybrid Toyota RAV4 or outside of hybrids maybe Jeep Renegade.
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I don't think you can go wrong with the Toyota. I love Jeeps (and own an 05' Wrangler) but looking at some data around the web and they have more reported issues than Toyota's. Best of luck to you.

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
          Normally I'd be all about a Kia, but the car I'm replacing is a Kia and given it has full engine failure at 150,000 miles on a hybrid (which should run well over 200k), I'm a bit hesitant to buy another Kia. I'm thinking about a Hybrid Toyota RAV4 or outside of hybrids maybe Jeep Renegade.

Comment

Well thankfully all of this has become irrelevant. Somehow a automotive miracle has occurred and the dealer is paying to replace the engine. Which is great, because I still had 3 years left on my loan...

Instagram

Comment

Well thankfully all of this has become irrelevant. Somehow a automotive miracle has occurred and the dealer is paying to replace the engine. Which is great, because I still had 3 years left on my loan...

Comment

Thats great news!

Comment

That's great! My mechanic is now the official repair shop for our local Carmax, and he told me he's replaced a few engines lately. I was surprised how little it costs for most cars.

Comment

Woot! That is amazing. Congrats on having a dealer that apparently is doing the right thing. Do you know if this issue was due to some type of recall or something similar?

Comment

I'm currently reading The Lone Ranger Omnibus Vol. 1. I hadn't read any of the first core new LR series from Dynamite Entertainment until now. The story is okay and obviously a different take on the LR. What has become very clear to me is that the ill fated The Lone Ranger (2013) movie definitely was influenced by this first new LR series. I saw the LR (2013) twice and I can see some elements of this comic book series in that movie. What happened with the movie makes me sad since there will probably never be a new LR movie.

Cap
                      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

If I may be curious, what happened with the engine of your car? Cap
                        Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                            If I may be curious, what happened with the engine of your car? Cap
                            As of right now the dealer doesn't know what caused it. It had no open recalls or anything like that. It's kinda complicated and confusing, but it was acting up and we where sure it had something to do with the cruise control, but the dealer couldn't replicate the problem. While they where test driving it, it shut off completely and when they got it back to the shop and ran a diagnostic on it they found a problem with the engine. The engine problem turned out to be that the crank shaft froze up, wrecking the engine. I'm hoping that once they replace it they may be able to figure out what caused it.

The dealership offers a "warranty" that's not really a warranty called "Jones for a Lifetime" which is a lifetime guarantee on the engine as long as you do all of the service with them. I thought I had this on my car, but the service department said I didn't have any warranties. I spoke with a sales person that happened to be a member of the owners family and him and the GM at the dealer managed to get the engine replaced under the "Jones for a Lifetime" program.

Instagram

Comment

That was very awesome of the dealer. I hope everything works out great for you.

As of right now the dealer doesn't know what caused it. It had no open recalls or anything like that. It's kinda complicated and confusing, but it was acting up and we where sure it had something to do with the cruise control, but the dealer couldn't replicate the problem. While they where test driving it, it shut off completely and when they got it back to the shop and ran a diagnostic on it they found a problem with the engine. The engine problem turned out to be that the crank shaft froze up, wrecking the engine. I'm hoping that once they replace it they may be able to figure out what caused it.

The dealership offers a "warranty" that's not really a warranty called "Jones for a Lifetime" which is a lifetime guarantee on the engine as long as you do all of the service with them. I thought I had this on my car, but the service department said I didn't have any warranties. I spoke with a sales person that happened to be a member of the owners family and him and the GM at the dealer managed to get the engine replaced under the "Jones for a Lifetime" program.

Comment

Here's a little sneak peak at something I've been quietly working on for CD for maybe a month now. I suspect we'll be selling them soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpc67gbn...on_share_sheet

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X