No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked-up "Quatum Leap: The Complete Series" on Blu-ray and have started plowing through the episodes. Forgot how much I liked this series. Nice feel-good viewing for these crazy times.

Comment

If I only had an S Video cable I could watch one VHS compilation tape... ~Cap
      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
        Picked-up "Quatum Leap: The Complete Series" on Blu-ray and have started plowing through the episodes. Forgot how much I liked this series. Nice feel-good viewing for these crazy times.
        Always have fond memories of Quantum Leap. I really need to do a rewatch as well.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
          If I only had an S Video cable I could watch one VHS compilation tape... ~Cap
          I probably have one or two around somewhere. If I come across one I will let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            I probably have one or two around somewhere. If I come across one I will let you know.
            Thanks Martin. I was positive I had an S Video cable--I don't and I just haven't remembered to get one. I've been thinning out my DVDs lately.
            I have 3 Alfred Hitchcock DVD's for sale. They are: I Confess, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and the Strangers On A Train 2 disc set (2 different versions of Strangers On A Train).

Cap
            Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
              Always have fond memories of Quantum Leap. I really need to do a rewatch as well.
              Really enjoyed the show back in the day. I wonder how it holds up now.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                Really enjoyed the show back in the day. I wonder how it holds up now.
                Am about halfway through season 2 and it has held up well, in my opinion. A lot of the effects are practical and still look great. Even some of the early CGI doesn't looks too bad. They actually did a pretty good job with the Blu-ray transfer. I also really like that they were willing to pay the licensing fees to keep the original music that aired in each episode. The story arcs have been great and touch on a lot of different themes. You can tell the writers had a lot of fun. Overall, this is feel-good viewing and much needed in times like these.

Comment

Am about halfway through season 2 and it has held up well, in my opinion. A lot of the effects are practical and still look great. Even some of the early CGI doesn't looks too bad. They actually did a pretty good job with the Blu-ray transfer. I also really like that they were willing to pay the licensing fees to keep the original music that aired in each episode. The story arcs have been great and touch on a lot of different themes. You can tell the writers had a lot of fun. Overall, this is feel-good viewing and much needed in times like these.
                  Great to hear.

Comment

The Girl With All The Gifts

3 out of 5 stars. I enjoy this genre of movie and thought there were so many good things about it however the biggest part of the movie was ruined by a lack of set-up/context/insight.

Spoiler!
                    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                      The Girl With All The Gifts

3 out of 5 stars. I enjoy this genre of movie and thought there were so many good things about it however the biggest part of the movie was ruined by a lack of set-up/context/insight.

Spoiler!
                      Have been interested in this movie for awhile, but something always holds me back from getting around to it. The Blu-ray cover/back synopsis make it seem as though it may be low-budget which might be why. Also don't recognize any of the actors at first glance which can be worrisome. I definitely enjoyed the book; so, I'm sure I'll perhaps circle back to this movie at some point. In terms of your spoiler, it's been awhile since I read the book, but, the ending you describe seems to be in the ball-park. Perhaps they rushed the ending or cut important scenes that could've better conveyed

Comment

Finally got around to watching "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood". Overall, I liked it but did not love it. Really neat settings, fantastic actors, and the usual great soundtrack; however, the film seemed disjointed to me. Felt like a bunch of really cool scenes instead of one cohesive movie. Maybe that was due to the length of the movie or it having no real plot. Overall, while I would watch this movie again, I would not put it in my top three Tarantino movies. Also watched the director's cut of Dr. Sleep. Really enjoyed the movie, but, boy is that directors cut long (well over three hours I believe). Not a huge Ewen Mcgregor fan, but, I thought he was very good in this role. Also, I was blown away by Rebecca Ferguson. She brought a likability to this role that was very unexpected and very scary. I don't remember feeling this way toward the character in the book; so, kudos to her. Have never seen this actor in anything previously, but, I'll be keeping an eye out for her films going forward.

Comment

Finally got around to watching "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood". Overall, I liked it but did not love it. Really neat settings, fantastic actors, and the usual great soundtrack; however, the film seemed disjointed to me. Felt like a bunch of really cool scenes instead of one cohesive movie. Maybe that was due to the length of the movie or it having no real plot. Overall, while I would watch this movie again, I would not put it in my top three Tarantino movies. Also watched the director's cut of Dr. Sleep. Really enjoyed the movie, but, boy is that directors cut long (well over three hours I believe). Not a huge Ewen Mcgregor fan, but, I thought he was very good in this role. Also, I was blown away by Rebecca Ferguson. She brought a likability to this role that was very unexpected and very scary. I don't remember feeling this way toward the character in the book; so, kudos to her. Have never seen this actor in anything previously, but, I'll be keeping an eye out for her films going forward.
                          I loved Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and wish it had really went down that way at the end. Have yet to watch Dr. Sleep but really enjoyed the book.

Comment

This weekend I was reading some dumb article about the best movies on Prime and was reminded of the fact I really wanted to watch Bone Tomahawk. So I did.

What a freaking amazing movie! Loved how the director was able to let the movie just simmer until it was time time to crank up the plot. Definitely has some brutal elements and depictions but it worked. Somehow even my wife sat through the while thing.

We then watched the director’s next film Brawl in Cell Block 99. Fantastic as well. Not sure which I enjoyed more but I’d recommend them both as long as you can stomach some violence.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                              This weekend I was reading some dumb article about the best movies on Prime and was reminded of the fact I really wanted to watch Bone Tomahawk. So I did.

What a freaking amazing movie! Loved how the director was able to let the movie just simmer until it was time time to crank up the plot. Definitely has some brutal elements and depictions but it worked. Somehow even my wife sat through the while thing.

We then watched the director’s next film Brawl in Cell Block 99. Fantastic as well. Not sure which I enjoyed more but I’d recommend them both as long as you can stomach some violence.
                              Yes! Both films are great. Bone Tomahawk is a flat-out masterpiece. I already love western-horror hybrids and when you throw in some of my all-time favorite actors (Kurt Russell will ALWAYS be The Man, Patrick Wilson is a genre stalwart, and Richard Jenkins is simply amazing in this. I'd also like to throw a little spotlight on Matthew Fox who I feel gets unfavorably dumped on; he's pitch perfect in this film and deserves much more credit than he gets) you get one heck of a flick. Brawl in Cell Block 99 is pure exploitation flick ramped up to 11. So, so good.

The directors third film, Dragged Across Concrete, doesn't quite reach the previous two films levels. If you like dirty cop movies and enjoyed Brawl enough that you wish it was close to three hours long, I'd give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                                Yes! Both films are great. Bone Tomahawk is a flat-out masterpiece. I already love western-horror hybrids and when you throw in some of my all-time favorite actors (Kurt Russell will ALWAYS be The Man, Patrick Wilson is a genre stalwart, and Richard Jenkins is simply amazing in this. I'd also like to throw a little spotlight on Matthew Fox who I feel gets unfavorably dumped on; he's pitch perfect in this film and deserves much more credit than he gets) you get one heck of a flick. Brawl in Cell Block 99 is pure exploitation flick ramped up to 11. So, so good.

The directors third film, Dragged Across Concrete, doesn't quite reach the previous two films levels. If you like dirty cop movies and enjoyed Brawl enough that you wish it was close to three hours long, I'd give it a shot.
                                After watching these I was itching to tell someone about them, and realized that I don't know anyone who would appreciate these films. I'm glad I found someone here!

Dragged Across Concrete isn't on Prime so I haven't watched that yet.

OH! And based on Bone Tomahawk, I ordered S. Craig Zahler's book A Congregation of Jackals. Have you read that at all?

Comment

Working...
                                X