Martin's Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
    Nice adds, Martin! Do you collection all the Skelton Keys as well?
    No, I have been on the fence with the keys. Just thought it would be too much. The Enigma Key was given to you when you gave Bode a new home. I really like the small world key and may order it before the window closes.
    Last edited by Martin; 01-14-2017, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
      No, I have been on the fence with the keys. Just though it would be too much. The Enigma Key was given to you when you gave Bode a new home. I really iike the snall world key and may oreer it before the window closes.
      I discovered they existed too late in life. Otherwise, I think it would have been a pretty cool little side collection if ya got in on 'em from the start. I was actually thinking about starting with the Small World key myself and going from there. Especially if the series will live on as teased.

Comment

Seeing your pics of The Fireman is making me regret not ordering one. Still on the fence but leaning towards getting one.

But I just saw the pricing for Centipede's upcoming releases ...

Comment

I discovered they existed too late in life. Otherwise, I think it would have been a pretty cool little side collection if ya got in on 'em from the start. I was actually thinking about starting with the Small World key myself and going from there. Especially if the series will live on as teased.
          The tease on continuing the series was not real convincing that it will happen anytime soon but I can hope.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
            Seeing your pics of The Fireman is making me regret not ordering one. Still on the fence but leaning towards getting one.

But I just saw the pricing for Centipede's upcoming releases ...
            I understand. My biggest issue with PS books is that they feel overpriced to me. Undersized, thin bright white paper print on boards etc. make them feel like $40 books rather than the $100 I spent. Centipede is very pricey but I feel like I got my money worth.

Comment

Exactly!

I understand. My biggest issue with PS books is that they feel overpriced to me. Undersized, thin bright white paper print on boards etc. make them feel like $40 books rather than the $100 I spent. Centipede is very pricey but I feel like I got my money worth.

Comment

In fairness, part of why PS comes out so pricey is due to us getting nailed on the exchange rate. Even with the GBP being weak as hell since the Brexit vote, it's still pretty expensive to import books from the UK. I do agree that they sometimes feel a bit overpriced even for their List, but paying an extra 25% premium plus international shipping to get them over here makes it even harder to justify the price for anything less than a really stellar production.

Comment

You could just order from Camelot; you'll still pay the premium on the exchange rate, but you won't get railed by shipping.

Of course, for something like The Fireman, they probably sold out of their allotment pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Daninsky View Post
                    In fairness, part of why PS comes out so pricey is due to us getting nailed on the exchange rate. Even with the GBP being weak as hell since the Brexit vote, it's still pretty expensive to import books from the UK. I do agree that they sometimes feel a bit overpriced even for their List, but paying an extra 25% premium plus international shipping to get them over here makes it even harder to justify the price for anything less than a really stellar production.
                    Exchange rate does impact the price I pay but I always look at it value compared to the price i pay (without regard to the factors in play like exchange rate, price on secondary market etc.) That is just how I look at things. With that said I continue to buy books from PS as I collect the authors. I would buy more from them if the production values were more to my liking. One recent exception was the anniversary edition on 20th Century Ghosts. The extra content made up for the reduced value for me.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                      You could just order from Camelot; you'll still pay the premium on the exchange rate, but you won't get railed by shipping.

Of course, for something like The Fireman, they probably sold out of their allotment pretty quick.
                      I have found shipping charges fro the UK to be very reasonable, often less than from domestic sources.

Comment

I honestly don't know how that's possible. I don't order extensively from the UK, but when I do, my options are either "pay 10 bucks and your book will arrive sometime" or "pay as much as the book and get it in a week or so."

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                          I honestly don't know how that's possible. I don't order extensively from the UK, but when I do, my options are either "pay 10 bucks and your book will arrive sometime" or "pay as much as the book and get it in a week or so."
                          I went back and looked at what I paid for The Fireman to be shipped to me from the UK. After the exchange rate is accounted for I paid $8.41. My last three single book orders from domestic sources were 8.04, 7.08 and 8.04. So not less but very comparable. I do not select expedited shipping. With PS expedited shipping would make no sense to me as I do not receive a shipping notice so I never know when to expect it anyway.

Comment

I have found shipping charges fro the UK to be very reasonable, often less than from domestic sources.
                            I completely agree, Martin if you go about it the right way. The way I usually try to work UK books is to have a UK friend either order it for me or pick it up for me locally. Lots of time they receive free shipping within the UK or the book can simply be picked up at a bookstore. The friend/s then pack the books really well and only charge you the exact cost. Plus, I'm usually provided a tracking number as well.

After the whole Waterstones shipping debacle with the CTCC limited, I'm really glad I chose to have mine purchased and shipped by a friend. I've never ordered directly from PS so I can't say how well their packaging is. Must be pretty good as I don't ever recall reading anything negative about it. And often with PS editions too, you can find them cheaper aftermarket if you're patient. From looking at their website, often times if seems cheaper to order from them directly, even with shipping vs. obtaining them through another publisher, etc.

Comment

A nice couple of books there Martin! I always finding shipping from the UK much cheaper than shipping from the US to Canada. Not sure why.

Comment

I completely agree, Martin if you go about it the right way. The way I usually try to work UK books is to have a UK friend either order it for me or pick it up for me locally. Lots of time they receive free shipping within the UK or the book can simply be picked up at a bookstore. The friend/s then pack the books really well and only charge you the exact cost. Plus, I'm usually provided a tracking number as well.

After the whole Waterstones shipping debacle with the CTCC limited, I'm really glad I chose to have mine purchased and shipped by a friend. I've never ordered directly from PS so I can't say how well their packaging is. Must be pretty good as I don't ever recall reading anything negative about it. And often with PS editions too, you can find them cheaper aftermarket if you're patient. From looking at their website, often times if seems cheaper to order from them directly, even with shipping vs. obtaining them through another publisher, etc.
                                I have purchased from Waterstones in the past and had no problem. I did not order Charlie the Choo Choo from them so I was not a part of the current mess people are experiencing. I order from PS about once or twice a year. The items are packed well. I have twice had issues, once they simply failed to ship something and once a dust jacket had a razor slice not related to shipping. PS took care of me both times. The primary issue with shipping is that they do not send shipping notices so I am not sure when to contact them with a concern.

Comment

Working...
                                X