Page 39 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin's Collection

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Indeed I have read the better version and the short one!
    Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    Look up the titles you got in the grab bag. Very nice indeed. Love the bookmarks, too.

And I hope you've READ the better version of The Stand.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Sorry, couldn't resist, as I know you couldn't either!
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Resist what? I am sure you have realized that the uncut version of The Stand tells the better story!
    Sorry, couldn't resist, as I know you couldn't either!

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    I know the the uncut version cheapens the sacrifice of Larry, Glenn, and Ralph with Flagg being reborn as Russell Faraday--it takes a superb morality tale and recasts it as a hopeless quest for peace and serenity; and that it leaves little details of the 70's and 80's in a story of the 90's, making the book and veryu bumpy ride; and that I seriously doubt King predicted AIDS in 1978, so it couldn't be the way it was originally intended; and that the scene between Frannie and her dead father before burying him was the only worthwhile addition to the work; and that the scene between the Kid and Tom Cullen was gratuitous and completely unnecessary; and while King obviously wants The Stand to be remembered as the complete and uncut version, he never went back and rewote W&G to have Roland and his Ka-tet enter Topeka of 1996 (so it's the 1978 version that's most important to the DT series); and I could go on and on, but there's really no point. King is allowed a vanity project every now and again (can't think of someone more deserving), but it doesn't make it better.

Anyway, glad to see you got a copy of the original for your collection.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    tell us how you feel Squire Don't hold back.. I have a paper back edition of the short version. I will try to read it This year.I love the uncut version.
    I know the the uncut version cheapens the sacrifice of Larry, Glenn, and Ralph with Flagg being reborn as Russell Faraday--it takes a superb morality tale and recasts it as a hopeless quest for peace and serenity; and that it leaves little details of the 70's and 80's in a story of the 90's, making the book and veryu bumpy ride; and that I seriously doubt King predicted AIDS in 1978, so it couldn't be the way it was originally intended; and that the scene between Frannie and her dead father before burying him was the only worthwhile addition to the work; and that the scene between the Kid and Tom Cullen was gratuitous and completely unnecessary; and while King obviously wants The Stand to be remembered as the complete and uncut version, he never went back and rewote W&G to have Roland and his Ka-tet enter Topeka of 1996 (so it's the 1978 version that's most important to the DT series); and I could go on and on, but there's really no point. King is allowed a vanity project every now and again (can't think of someone more deserving), but it doesn't make it better.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    Forgot Martin love the new stuff.Great grab bag.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    Sweet grab bag Martin and I love the uncut version as well but I have not read the shorter version yet

Sorry, I get carried away sometimes...
    "I'm a vegan. "

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour goathunter's Avatar

Thank you! I thought I was the only one who hated the Uncut edition. I re-read The Stand several times from 1978 until 1988, then read the Uncut edition and have never had the desire to re-read either edition again. The Uncut version ruined the book for me. I may someday re-read the original, but you summed up my exact feelings about the Uncut. Most people didn't seem to notice the shitty job of updating it to 1990, but I thought the changes were so poorly done---and unnecessary---that it ruined any possible enjoyment.

Hunter

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    We all get a little carried away sometimes

Carrie-Stephen-King_dl.jpg
    Last edited by Tommy; 03-04-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Sometimes?????

"I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    I have yet to read The Stand. Not sure if I will get around to it in the near future, because firstly, I don't own, second, I have so much more to tackle right now. I would like to get to it one day.

Nice adds again. Also, the bookmarks are pretty cool. The one thing I like about buying books at Chapters is they give you a free bookmark with your book.
    Last edited by TJCams; 03-04-2013 at 12:40 PM.

The Stand is a must read in my view, don't wait too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJCams View Post
    I have yet to read The Stand. Not sure if I will get around to it in the near future, because firstly, I don't own, second, I have so much more to tackle right now. I would like to get to it one day.

Nice adds again. Also, the bookmarks are pretty cool. The one thing I like about buying books at Chapters is they give you a free bookmark with your book.

Here is my copy of Beneath the Bed:

P1230775.jpg

Thanks again to Mr. Kelly, this was a cool promotion!

Peter Straub's Floating Dragon in the October Dreams Slipcase:

P1230776.jpgP1230777.jpgP1230778.jpgP1230779.jpgP1230780.jpg

Cool. Thanks for posting the pics with the slipcase.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    LOVE the Floating Dragon limited.
    It's one of my favorite Straub's, so I have no idea why I didn't order a copy....

sk

Floating Dragon is a Straub story that I have not read so I am happy to add this to my collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post
    LOVE the Floating Dragon limited.
    It's one of my favorite Straub's, so I have no idea why I didn't order a copy....

sk

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    That is one book I would love to grab one day, Straub has never disappointed me yet, and I have not read that one.