Marvel's Dark Tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marvel's Dark Tower

I've read all of the Dark Tower series save for the last 2 books. My 4 year old got me a Marvel comic of the Dark Tower series. I confess, I don't really know much about these. Are they cannon to the books? Do they retell the story just with pics? What am I getting into here?

Mr. Rice, most of the Dark Tower comics are new material. Marvel started with and adaptation of the Roland's boyhood adventure from Wizards and Glass. Then there were 4 story arcs (collected as such, about 5 issues each) chronicling the decline and fall of Gilead, culminating in the telling of the Battle of Jericho Hill. After the success of these 5 tales, they adapted the Little Sisters of Eluria, and have now started telling stories of The Gunslinger's early quest. So most of the stories were hinted at in King's Dark Tower books and are fleshed out here.

If cannon & continuity are important, then yes they are cannon. All series have been written by the team of Robin Furth & Peter David. Peter is a long time, respected comics writer, and Robin was King's research assistant who compiled all of the Dark Tower material prior to his writing of the final 3 books. She knows more about the Dark Tower than anyone, except maybe Stephen himself. Also Stephen King has final approval over the material that goes into these stories.

I've enjoyed them all so far.
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I bought the Marvel Dark Tower Omnibus - http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Tower-Omn...6196799&sr=8-2

I liked the comics a lot more than I thought I would, and it's certainly a much faster way to read the DT series than reading the books.

Comment

I think they compliment the books well. My initial fear was that they would just re tell the DT story with pictures however that was not the case. I like the fact that they tell more of the back story. Having said that though the latest story arcs seem to be a more or less retelling of the books. Regardless the art work has been excellent throughout.

Comment

The individual comics contain lots of material that is not included in the hardcover omnibus editions.

John

Comment

I believe the Omnibus edition collects everything so far, including that bonus material. The bonus materials are not in the individual hardcover editions.
            "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
              I believe the Omnibus edition collects everything so far, including that bonus material. The bonus materials are not in the individual hardcover editions.
              From what I've read, this is correct. The negative I heard about the individual hardcovers was the lack of bonuses that were in the comics
              WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
              Spoiler!

Comment

Yea. I bought the individual comics and the hard covers for all so far.I just got the hard cover for the battle of tull arc on friday.The omnibus edition of the first 5 arcs
                has all the bonus stuff encluding the 1 shots that were not included in most of the individual hard cover story arcs.

Comment

Originally posted by jhanic View Post
                  The individual comics contain lots of material that is not included in the hardcover omnibus editions.

John
                  I have all the individual comics, including one shots, all the hardcovers and the omnibus edition as well. As far as I can tell the omnibus has all the bonus materials and it presented very nicely.
                  -Chris Lason-

nerd alert
                  gamertag : calason

Comment

I guess I'll have to pick up a copy of the omnibus some day. It's down low on my list, though.

John

Comment

I have each of the hardcover collections. Are the one shots worth tracking down?

Comment

Only if you are a completest like me. They are good and add a little to the mythology but are not a necesity.Joe Hill and King's Road Rage starts soon based on their short story in he is legend.There are all sorts of variant covers of the first issue.Varient covers of the DT comics are avalible to but now your getting into a money issue.
                        Though it is nice to have all the art work.I know I rambeled on but hpoe I answered your question.

Comment

Many thanks. Not so interested in the variant covers just the extras to the story. I see one is devoted to the back story of Martin so had my eyes on that. I have also seen one based around Sheemie but cannot seem to find a release for that one.

Comment

The one on sheemie is called sheemie's tales and has been put on hold a few times.I can not remember if this came out yet or not.When I get a few minutes I will
                            go through my DT box of comics and let you know for sure.

Comment

Muchly appreciated.
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X