TerryE's Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TerryE's Collection

Well, I figured it's about time for me to start this. We'll open with the book that started my collection. I was always surrounded by books, but this one was the first I remember that was just for me. It's even inscribed by those who gave it, my siblings. And I remember getting it while I was in the hospital to have a ganglion removed from my the area between my thumb and wrist. I still have the scar, and the book.

book1 002.jpg

book1 006.jpg

It's not in good shape, but I still love it. I broke this out about a year and a half ago, to show my little guy, then my Mom got him his own last year for Christmas. He's five and can read the whole thing now. I'm so proud. Hey, that's one of his drawings from last year, under my thumb.
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Next is my first signed book. Even better it's from one of my childhood heroes, and still the greatest third baseman to ever play the game. And if you'll notice, I got it signed twice! Good ole Brooksy heard my name wrong the first time, then was gracious enough to sign it again.

book1 001.jpg

book1 005.jpgbook1 003.jpg
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Awesome, Terry! Can't wait to see what you got hiding on your bookshelves!

and under your bed, maybe a boogeyman or two hiding in your closet...
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

No boogeymen under the bed or in the closet. And the ghost lives very quietly in a picture on the wall. And how did you know books are hiding on the shelves? Seriously, I hate to put away the collectible/nice stuff, so a lot of my shelves are lined with books in front of books. As for the rest of the hiding (much to the wife's consternation) most of my library is in boxes in the basement, piled up on 3 skids.

Comment

Next, a couple quick shots of the general fiction/literature shelf. Most of these are trade paperbacks, but great reads (well, I assume their great, I've probably only read about 1/4 of them so far). Some of my favorite writers are here, if you can't make out the names, John Barth, Italo Calvino, Jonathan Carroll, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Faulkner, Steven Milhauser, T. R. Pearson, and a nice Steinbeck set.

book1 015.jpgbook1 018.jpgbook1 021.jpg

Comment

Another odd signed one of local interest. The author, Alan Walden, was a commentator/host on one of the local talk radio stations. Walden Ponderings was his daily opinion piece and the book is a collection of his favorites. He may be the only political commentator who I've agreed with almost everything that he said.

book1 008.jpgbook1 009.jpg

Comment

Hey Terry, good to see another collector start a thread !!! Great stuff mate, and look forward to seeing more

Comment

Thanks, Grant. Now we're going to start with the stuff that everyone here will be more interested in. Since I haven't seen too much from anyone else, I'm starting with my William Peter Blatty stuff. Here they are on a shelf.

book1 004.jpg

Comment

Nice choice to kick off with Terry - some of those titles I've never even heard of (which is a good thing)

Comment

The oldest of my Blatty books, "John Goldfarb, Please Come Home". I found this one signed on the secondary market (naturally, since I wasn't even born when it was published).

book1 019.jpg
                    book1 020.jpg

Comment

"Twinkle, Twinkle, Killer Kane" which was the first version of the story that would become one of my favorites "The Ninth Configuration"

book1 022.jpg

Comment

And I'm sure this is one that we've all read, and was our introduction to Bill. It's a book club edition.

book1 023.jpg

Comment

Another signed copy found on the secondary market. Bill's ode to his mother, "I'll Tell them I Remember You".

book1 024.jpgbook1 025.jpg

Comment

Here's one that I need to replace one day. This was a library copy. I loved this book in high school.

book1 026.jpg

Comment

"Legion". Another book club edition. I think I got this one when Mom was a member of the Doubleday book club.

book1 027.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X