Anyone know this short story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know this short story?

When I was younger I read this short story about a witch's house that could move on chicken legs. I thought the teacher said something about it being a story that had been retold several times throughout history, but I am not sure. I was looking to find this for some research, but cannot seem to locate anything on the internet. Does anyone know anything that might help me in my search?
    Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Sounds like Baba Yaga, a Russian folktale, Ken.
    Last edited by srboone; 12-22-2011, 02:01 PM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

That's it! Thank you!

Comment

My pleasure; it's good to know that my arcane knowledge of obsure literature can come in handy once in a while (other than in Trivial Pursuit games!)
        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

What are you researching, Ken? Just out of curiosity...
          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Well, I have to check, but I remember something about many generations retelling this story over time, each generation changing it. I had this dream about the story the other night and figured I might have a go at it at some point.

I have to check, but I'd love to pay homage to one of the first stories I ever read. Reading the wiki about it I see I am not alone and that several have done similar things. I was hoping to take mine in a different direction, though...so we will see.
            Last edited by ozmosis7; 12-22-2011, 03:39 PM.

Comment

The Hut of Baba Yaga has been interpreted many ways. Including a part of "Pictures at an Exhibition". Was that Mussorgsky? I'm much more familiar with the Emerson, Lake, and Palmer version. I don't remember the evolution of the tale, but I think Baba Yaga and the Gingerbread House witch come from a common ancestor tale or archetype.
              "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I love Joanna Cole's re-telling called "Bony-Legs" illustrated by Dirk Zimmer.
                tumblr_ky41w5ACJ21qzbp96o1_400.jpg

Comment

That is the exact version I was looking for Ant. Thanks! My own version (at least in this dream) was more of a sic-fi version, so when I get time I will have to see how it pans out.

Comment

Hmm...guess that isn't it with it being published in '04. Can't find the specific one I am looking for. I wanted to share it with the kids. It would have been available back right when the hostages were released from Iran years ago. Like mid-seventies.

Comment

It was first published in the 80s... 1983 in hardcover... around 1986 in paperback.

Comment

Hmm..I'll have to check it out more thoroughly. That picture sure does look familiar. Thanks!

Comment

Dirk Zimmer also illustrated "In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories" by Alvin Scwartz (which scared the poop out of me when I was younger... It has "The Green Ribbon" on it.

Comment

Working...
                          X