No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh lol. I googled James Sears and I got some guy called "Dimitri the lover" who seems to have been involved in quite a scandal.

Ghost Story is still on my to buy and to read list.

Comment

The character's name is Sears James and Gregory and Fenny Bates still freak me out to this day. A must read, pete.
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Hoping I might have a chance to pick it up over the summer. Have heard many good things about it.

Comment

The last time I read "Ghost Story", real events started to freak me out, too. I was on spring break vacation with my cousins and figured it was time to read "Ghost Story" again. We were on our way to Pensacola and got stuck in a blizzard for 2 days in a small town in southwestern Virginia. One of the groups with us in the shelter was heading to Panama City which is where Ghost Story opens and closes. And if you remember at one time the town is cut off by a blizzard. One coincidence is fine, two a little freaky. If there would have been a third correlation I'd have been seriously freaked out.
          "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Once again, ABE puts my dwindling CD GC into perspective for me with April's largest sales.

1. Die Verwandlung by Franz Kafka - $30,000
            First edition, published 1915 by Kurt Wolff, this famous novella contains 73 pages plus five additional pages of advertisements at the rear.

2. The Americans by Robert Frank - $11,745
            First American edition, 1959, signed by Frank to a fellow photographer on the half-title page.

3. Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote - $7,500
            First edition, price clipped but in near fine condition and signed by Capote.

4. The Works of Shakespeare by William Shakespeare - $6,215
            Sir Thomas Hanmer (1677 - 1746), Speaker of the House of Commons, produced this edition of Shakespeare in his retirement in 1744. This edition contains six volumes in total, with 36 full-page engraved plates (one for each play) plus an engraved portrait of Shakespeare as frontispiece.

5. De West-Indische Gids by H.D. Benjamins - $5,265
            33 volumes of the West Indian Guide series (lacks volumes 35, 36, 38 and 39) written by Surinamese mathematician and physicist Herman Daniël Benjamins.

6. The History of the Rise, Progress, and Accomplishment of the Abolition of the African Slave-Trade by the British Parliament by Thomas Clarkson - $5,068
            First edition, in two volumes, published in 1808 complete with plates, two folding, including the famous illustration of the layout of human cargo on a slave ship.

7. The Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry-Garrard - $4,950
            The story of the 1910-1913 Antarctic expedition – a first edition in two volumes, including 73 panoramas, maps and illustrations, including the 10 original folding plates issued only in the first edition, by Dr. Edward A. Wilson and other members of the expedition.

8. Memoirs of the Life of John Constable, Esq. R.A. composed chiefly of his letters by C.R. Leslie, et al - $4,887
            First edition of the first book printed on the English romantic painter, one of 186 copies. The work set a new standard for an artist biography written in English, demonstrating Constable's neglected genius to a previously uninterested public through his own words.

9. View of the Hebrews by Ethan Smith - $4,200
            This first edition, published in 1823, argues that native Americans were descended from the Hebrews. Numerous commentators on Mormon doctrine, from LDS Church general authority B. H. Roberts to biographer Fawn M. Brodie, have discussed the possibility that View of the Hebrews may have provided source material for the Book of Mormon, although it should be noted that Ethan is of no relation to Joseph Smith.

10. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell - $3,975
            A signed first edition, first printing of this dystopian classic, with a maroon dust wrapper, published by Secker and Warburgh in 1949, and twice signed by Sir John Hurt (the actor who starred in the film adaptation with Richard Burton) on the title page as himself, as well as his character ‘Winston Smith’.
            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Wow! Some list!

Comment

How did I not know Squire worked in a hotel? lol. Seriously? Anyway..

Comment

Random Thought for today: VERY excited to have been eating several spicy foods lately with no adverse reactions! Ate a McDonalds Spicy Thai salad with no issues by simply ordering Grilled chicken instead of crispy. Good to finally know what to avoid instead of avoiding some delishousness I didn't have to. lol

Comment

Random response - since when did Macca's quality as food ????

Comment

Good point woot. Regardless of whether it contained any actual food it was quite delish and didn't burn anything but my lips rather than my whole system. Who would think bread could do such a thing. Of course I'd think it was the usual suspects. Spicy food, tomatoes, acidy stuff. but wheb I think about everything that hurt me it all has some sort of gluteny poison with it. Breaded chicken, pasta, sandwiches, pizza. Can't explain orange juice tho I guess that one was the acid. Lol.

Comment

I can't figure this one out! A couple of days ago (at least) I hit my 2000th post. I was close to post 2100, thought I passed it but now it looks as if I'm back to 2000.
                        Can this be, Dan??

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                          I can't figure this one out! A couple of days ago (at least) I hit my 2000th post. I was close to post 2100, thought I passed it but now it looks as if I'm back to 2000.
                          Can this be, Dan??

sk
                          Umm, I'm gonna say that it's because Grant had me delete his collection thread. It would also have deleted all the posts made in that thread.
                          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

That makes sense.

Comment

Yep, I lost 351 posts...buy I'm still totally insane...
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Makes me closer to catching up Squire thats all.

On a side note....Why does CD only send me coupons when I have no money? Last weekend I woulda went for a 50% coupon, this week my cars broke. grr.

Comment

Working...
                                X