Page 193 of 202 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,860 of 4035

Thread: Random thoughts...

Beam Junkie 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Mine is nice in a don't touch me kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    He totally does! is yours as grumpy as mine? I've never had a cat who just walks around hissing at the air before. But then be SUPER LOVING. He's so weird.

Child of the Corn 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Brian861's Avatar
    Thanks Brian. That made me laugh. Her tongue was something else.
    Most welcome.

It's been my experience that cats are mainly A-holes. I'm definitely a dog person.

Shazam! Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    Back to book stuff here. I don't know how many of you get the Gauntlet Press newsletter. The last one I got said they had some printer trouble due to the Covid19 pandemic. ~Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Distant Barony of Mejis Inmate Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    Back to book stuff here. I don't know how many of you get the Gauntlet Press newsletter. The last one I got said they had some printer trouble due to the Covid19 pandemic. ~Cap
    I hate to hear this, but it isn't surprising. The list of businesses that are allowed to stay open varies widely from state to state.

Here is Barry's full statement on their printer situation:

"Sadly, our printer has been forced to shutter their doors due to the pandemic, by an order of the governor of Pennsylvania. We’re still laying out the Frank Darabont script book HOPE AND MIRACLES, so the closing won’t have an immediate impact on us. We will keep you informed if there will be any additional delays."

Nothing to see here! Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    Saw it and doubt that it will be the last time we hear this.

Devourer of Worlds Hearing Voices TacomaDiver's Avatar
    I'm still a little surprised by what's allowed to be open. I appreciate that I can still get beer from all of the local breweries, but it seems odd that they're essential. (Best explanation I've read is that a brewery's spent grain is given to farmers for livestock feed - which does make sense.)

Locally, I think we're going to see a huge change with the mall that's across the street. My wife "works" at the Nordstrom there, and every time I've been to the mall in general, it's super slow. Even during the holiday shopping season. I'm surprised it's even open under normal circumstances. Nordstrom sent out an email last night, and based on what her manager told her, I don't think this store will ever reopen, which makes me question if the mall will either. Nordstrom is going to stop paying their employees on April 5th, and forcing most of their managers to take a 6-week furlough. Senior executives are taking a 20% (I think - it was late when she read the email to me and I was reading) paycut, and their C-level is declining pay for six months. I wonder if a company like Nordstrom can even survive - they've had a hard time adapting to to the new e-commerce way (like a lot of the old department stores.)

Scary times.

Bela Lugosi's dead... Hearing Voices
    I'm still a little surprised by what's allowed to be open. I appreciate that I can still get beer from all of the local breweries, but it seems odd that they're essential. (Best explanation I've read is that a brewery's spent grain is given to farmers for livestock feed - which does make sense.)

Locally, I think we're going to see a huge change with the mall that's across the street. My wife "works" at the Nordstrom there, and every time I've been to the mall in general, it's super slow. Even during the holiday shopping season. I'm surprised it's even open under normal circumstances. Nordstrom sent out an email last night, and based on what her manager told her, I don't think this store will ever reopen, which makes me question if the mall will either. Nordstrom is going to stop paying their employees on April 5th, and forcing most of their managers to take a 6-week furlough. Senior executives are taking a 20% (I think - it was late when she read the email to me and I was reading) paycut, and their C-level is declining pay for six months. I wonder if a company like Nordstrom can even survive - they've had a hard time adapting to to the new e-commerce way (like a lot of the old department stores.)

Scary times.
    The Nordstrom by us seems to be one of the few stores of its type still doing well. The local Lord & Taylor closed recently, and Macy's also closed their anchor store at the same mall. I've never shopped at those stores...I think most of what I've bought in the past few years has come from Costco

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    The Nordstrom by us seems to be one of the few stores of its type still doing well. The local Lord & Taylor closed recently, and Macy's also closed their anchor store at the same mall. I've never shopped at those stores...I think most of what I've bought in the past few years has come from Costco
    I'm not ashamed, but I miss the $12 Costco jeans.

Nothing to see here! Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar

Scary times.
    I think many of the brick and mortar retailers that have been struggling in the past few years my not re-open after this. Powell's books her has openly admitted that this may be the end. They have been staying alive with bailing wire and scotch tape for years and simple do not have the reserve to weather an extended closure. I really hope they make it but even if they do it will be a very different store.

I loved those jeans!

Beam Junkie 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    They must be something regional. Never have been in one. That being said I do have to buy my jeans from Walmart. Only physical retail place from the last 15 years that has jeans that actually fit me. My size and inseam never work online.

Edit: Never been in one should be replaced by I have never seen one. There is a Sams Club but I hadn't been there in 20 years. Cash flow has always been king for me.
    Last edited by Ben Staad; 03-28-2020 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I think many of the brick and mortar retailers that have been struggling in the past few years my not re-open after this. Powell's books her has openly admitted that this may be the end. They have been staying alive with bailing wire and scotch tape for years and simple do not have the reserve to weather an extended closure. I really hope they make it but even if they do it will be a very different store.
    That'll be sad if that does happen. Not surprising, but still very sad. Powell's was always a must stop whenever we went down to Portland.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Agreed — I wore those almost exclusively for many years. And they move their production from Mexico to China, and the fit material was just a little bit off. I switched to Lee jeans, and I’ve never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Agreed — I wore those almost exclusively for many years. And they move their production from Mexico to China, and the fit material was just a little bit off. I switched to Lee jeans, and I’ve never looked back.
    The Old Navy stretch jeans aren't too bad - they're what I've been wearing for about a year now.

I keep looking at these fancy raw denim jeans - the ones that promise to basically last forever, but damn, some of them are $300 a pair - that seems excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    They must be something regional. Never have been in one. That being said I do have to buy my jeans from Walmart. Only physical retail place from the last 15 years that has jeans that actually fit me. My size and inseam never work online.

Edit: Never been in one should be replaced by I have never seen one. There is a Sams Club but I hadn't been there in 20 years. Cash flow has always been king for me.
    Costco and Whole Foods are my two primary shopping destinations. The $12 Jeans were just great jeans. I see them on eBay often, especially since they were discontinued long ago, here is an example. https://www.ebay.com/itm/133326156171

Slightly off Kilter 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    I wore Levi's forever, but a few years ago I switched to Wranglers that I get at Target for $19.00, good fit and they wear well.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Costco and Whole Foods are my two primary shopping destinations. The $12 Jeans were just great jeans. I see them on eBay often, especially since they were discontinued long ago, here is an example. https://www.ebay.com/itm/133326156171
    I never thought of looking on eBay for jeans before.

Yeah, for the price, they couldn't be beat.

Bela Lugosi's dead... Hearing Voices
    The Old Navy stretch jeans aren't too bad - they're what I've been wearing for about a year now.

I keep looking at these fancy raw denim jeans - the ones that promise to basically last forever, but damn, some of them are $300 a pair - that seems excessive.
    Yeah, that's crazy expensive. We have a store called Kohl's that briefly opened a store to sell off old stock, remainders, etc, and I got six pairs of Lee and Levi's jeans there for $5 a pair. My old Lee jeans just gave up after 25 years of use.

Some good news from Powell's Books. After acknowledging that the current shutdown could be the end for Powell's they have had a surge in online orders. Enough to rehire 100 full time employees.
    Powells.jpg

Shazam! Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    Well, that's good for Powells Books and I'm glad they appear to be making a recovery. I've become a fan of the Mysterious Bookshop after ordering two signed books from them. I have no idea when I'll get the second order from the Mysterious Bookshop. Just now I ordered a book from an independent bookstore I'd never heard of until this week. As if I need one more unread book to add to the dozens of unread books I already have. I guess I'm an addict.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.