Page 176 of 179 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,520 of 3568

Thread: Random thoughts...

  1. #3501
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,586
    Rep Power
    13
    I have for the most part stopped shopping at B&N. I would love to support them but I don't care for their online experience and the in-store selection is limited and they don't have a "horror" section. This year I've only went to the physical store twice and with a list of books I wanted. Both times went away empty handed because they didn't have them. I don't remember everything on the list but one was Jeff Vandermeer and another one was Paul Tremblay. The didn't have one book from either of these authors...Not one!

    Edit: I will add I have purchased more books this year from Dollar General, Winn-Dixie, and Target than B&N.
    Last edited by Ben Staad; 09-26-2019 at 02:09 AM.

  2. #3502
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,606
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Get ready for a rant...

    So I buy a book from Barnes & Noble for the first time in quite a while. An oversized artbook on which that I used a 15% off on-line coupon. Amazon was a bit lower at the time, but I figured at the time, what the heck, I'll give the business to B&N.com. It arrives a week or so later with corners and spine bumped, and the book itself is a disappointment...shoddily glue-bound and surprisingly featured non-glossy pages, very atypical for an artbook at its $65 price point.

    I decided to return it.

    The instructions both on-line and on the enclosed receipt form indicated I can mail it in or take it in to a B&N store. Wanting to expedite the matter, I took time out of my busy day and drove 30 minutes to my local B&N store to return the book.

    Where I was informed that was not possible.

    To paraphrase the conversation:

    Because I'd paid for it via PayPal, they could not refund my money, but only offer me a gift card in the refund amount. But, I said, my PayPal is linked to the credit card I have with me.

    Nope, sorry, can't do that, only a gift card.

    But you can see that I paid for it...what difference does the payment vehicle make? You can confirm the money was received by B&N...what difference does it how the money is refunded by B&N?

    Sorry, that's our policy.

    So, I said, after driving half-an-hour to the store, I have to now package it up, drive it to the Post Office, pay the postage, and the B&N warehouse that I send to it can refund it to my credit card...but my neighborhood B&N can't? Even though the instructions on my receipt say I can return it to any B&N store, with absolutely no mention at all of a PayPal exclusion?

    Yes, that's correct.

    So I have the packaged book on my counter, waiting for a trip down to the Post Office tomorrow. It'll take a week to get there, cost me more time and $5 or so to send it off, and I have the pleasure of waiting for a week-plus for my refund to appear.

    And today's adventure illustrates why Amazon continues to plow their retail asses into the ground. If the new CEO/owner of B&N has any chance to turning around that lost, rudderless boat that is B&N, he needs to fix absurd, bull***t customer experiences like this. If B&N on-line is going to accept PayPal as a valid payment, and then include instructions with the book that says you can return any item to a local B&N store, then there must be a refund process in place at those stores for customers who used PayPal.

    Amazon has started to set up return kiosks at retail establishments like Kohl's to maximize the customer experience (and those are only necessary when they don't just tell you on the phone or chat sytem to just go ahead and keep the book along with the instant refund)...you think I'd have received pushback at the Amazon kiosk, that I'd be told I didn't pay via the right method? No way.

    I don't buy much from B&N anymore, but unless it's some exclusive edition that I just can't live without (example: their recent edition of a signed Thomas Harris CARI MORA, which, as we now know, we all could well have lived without), it's going to be a cold day in Hell before I do so again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I have for the most part stopped shopping at B&N. I would love to support them but I don't care for their online experience and the in-store selection is limited and they don't have a "horror" section. This year I've only went to the physical store twice and with a list of books I wanted. Both times went away empty handed because they didn't have them. I don't remember everything on the list but one was Jeff Vandermeer and another one was Paul Tremblay. The didn't have one book...
    All accurate, and this returns fiasco was for me the last straw in a very sad bale of hay.

  3. #3503
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,945
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Get ready for a rant...

    So I buy a book from Barnes & Noble for the first time in quite a while. An oversized artbook on which that I used a 15% off on-line coupon. Amazon was a bit lower at the time, but I figured at the time, what the heck, I'll give the business to B&N.com. It arrives a week or so later with corners and spine bumped, and the book itself is a disappointment...shoddily glue-bound and surprisingly featured non-glossy pages, very atypical for an artbook at its $65 price point.

    I decided to return it.

    The instructions both on-line and on the enclosed receipt form indicated I can mail it in or take it in to a B&N store. Wanting to expedite the matter, I took time out of my busy day and drove 30 minutes to my local B&N store to return the book.

    Where I was informed that was not possible.

    To paraphrase the conversation:

    Because I'd paid for it via PayPal, they could not refund my money, but only offer me a gift card in the refund amount. But, I said, my PayPal is linked to the credit card I have with me.

    Nope, sorry, can't do that, only a gift card.

    But you can see that I paid for it...what difference does the payment vehicle make? You can confirm the money was received by B&N...what difference does it how the money is refunded by B&N?

    Sorry, that's our policy.

    So, I said, after driving half-an-hour to the store, I have to now package it up, drive it to the Post Office, pay the postage, and the B&N warehouse that I send to it can refund it to my credit card...but my neighborhood B&N can't? Even though the instructions on my receipt say I can return it to any B&N store, with absolutely no mention at all of a PayPal exclusion?

    Yes, that's correct.

    So I have the packaged book on my counter, waiting for a trip down to the Post Office tomorrow. It'll take a week to get there, cost me more time and $5 or so to send it off, and I have the pleasure of waiting for a week-plus for my refund to appear.

    And today's adventure illustrates why Amazon continues to plow their retail asses into the ground. If the new CEO/owner of B&N has any chance to turning around that lost, rudderless boat that is B&N, he needs to fix absurd, bull***t customer experiences like this. If B&N on-line is going to accept PayPal as a valid payment, and then include instructions with the book that says you can return any item to a local B&N store, then there must be a refund process in place at those stores for customers who used PayPal.

    Amazon has started to set up return kiosks at retail establishments like Kohl's to maximize the customer experience (and those are only necessary when they don't just tell you on the phone or chat sytem to just go ahead and keep the book along with the instant refund)...you think I'd have received pushback at the Amazon kiosk, that I'd be told I didn't pay via the right method? No way.

    I don't buy much from B&N anymore, but unless it's some exclusive edition that I just can't live without (example: their recent edition of a signed Thomas Harris CARI MORA, which, as we now know, we all could well have lived without), it's going to be a cold day in Hell before I do so again.
    That is about as bad as it gets for customer service!

  4. #3504
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,807
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Get ready for a rant...

    I don't buy much from B&N anymore, but unless it's some exclusive edition that I just can't live without (example: their recent edition of a signed Thomas Harris CARI MORA, which, as we now know, we all could well have lived without), it's going to be a cold day in Hell before I do so again.
    THAT'S RIDICULOUS! There are only two things retailers can offer customers: price and service. And considering people will pay more for products if they feel that they are taken care of and treated well, price is a lower priority to service in some cases. So service, the human connection and care, is ALL B&N has to offer over Amazon. The friendly conversations, the immediate resolutions, the instant gratification, the help finding products, these are the things they need to focus on. Because we can get the same trade edition by the same author with the same words anywhere. But there should be only one place to get the B&N experience.

    Too bad it was a shitty one for you, Ron.

  5. #3505
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    52
    I returned an Amazon purchase via Kohl's about two weeks ago. It was absolutely flawless. Kohl's even gave me a 25% off coupon for anything in the store!

  6. #3506
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    694
    Rep Power
    7
    I found someone offering Offspring-an Overlook Connection Sterling Limited edition for $95.00. My question-Do you guys think this is a good deal? I'm unsure since to me there seems to be quite a few versions of Offspring and Off Season.

    Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

  7. #3507
    Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,876
    Rep Power
    28
    I won't buy anything online from B&N. There's just too many other better online retailers. I will go into a B&N and browse and buy something off the shelf though.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

  8. #3508
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,606
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    THAT'S RIDICULOUS! There are only two things retailers can offer customers: price and service. And considering people will pay more for products if they feel that they are taken care of and treated well, price is a lower priority to service in some cases. So service, the human connection and care, is ALL B&N has to offer over Amazon. The friendly conversations, the immediate resolutions, the instant gratification, the help finding products, these are the things they need to focus on. Because we can get the same trade edition by the same author with the same words anywhere. But there should be only one place to get the B&N experience.
    Well put, Jeff, and exactly correct. Instead, I was charged 30 minutes to and 30 minutes from the store — an hour out of my day (plus another 10 miles and 20 minutes today at the Post Office) — with nothing to show for it but a broken return guarantee and a takeaway of horrendous, duplicitous customer service.

    I’m usually a prett amenable, low-key kinda guy and tend to shrug stuff off, but this experience has really irked me...beyond the time wasted, perhaps it’s because I tend to be among those who, all things being equal, advocate buying brick-and-mortar over on-line to support the viability and continuing presence of new-book bookstores. It’s disappointing to see that support misplaced and bastardized by B&N subverting that ideal with customer-service practices and policies that are distinctly unfriendly

  9. #3509
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,586
    Rep Power
    13
    Exactly. I prefer in person shopping but this one of many reasons brick and mortars are still dying. I go out of my way to support physical stores and specifically try and support local businesses. However service is still king. Amazon service is pretty darn good. Book packaging is suspect but overall they do a decent job.

    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Well put, Jeff, and exactly correct. Instead, I was charged 30 minutes to and 30 minutes from the store — an hour out of my day (plus another 10 miles and 20 minutes today at the Post Office) — with nothing to show for it but a broken return guarantee and a takeaway of horrendous, duplicitous customer service.

    I’m usually a prett amenable, low-key kinda guy and tend to shrug stuff off, but this experience has really irked me...beyond the time wasted, perhaps it’s because I tend to be among those who, all things being equal, advocate buying brick-and-mortar over on-line to support the viability and continuing presence of new-book bookstores. It’s disappointing to see that support misplaced and bastardized by B&N subverting that ideal with customer-service practices and policies that are distinctly unfriendly

  10. #3510
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    694
    Rep Power
    7
    I have a reason to be happy today. I got $65 from my latest comic book trade-in. One hardcover that I expected to be graded in Poor condition was graded as VF and I got $48 for just that book. I was so thrilled when I received the email today for this latest trade. ~Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

  11. #3511
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,945
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    I have a reason to be happy today. I got $65 from my latest comic book trade-in. One hardcover that I expected to be graded in Poor condition was graded as VF and I got $48 for just that book. I was so thrilled when I received the email today for this latest trade. ~Cap

  12. #3512
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,606
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Well put, Jeff, and exactly correct. Instead, I was charged 30 minutes to and 30 minutes from the store — an hour out of my day (plus another 10 miles and 20 minutes today at the Post Office) — with nothing to show for it but a broken return guarantee and a takeaway of horrendous, duplicitous customer service.

    I’m usually a prett amenable, low-key kinda guy and tend to shrug stuff off, but this experience has really irked me...beyond the time wasted, perhaps it’s because I tend to be among those who, all things being equal, advocate buying brick-and-mortar over on-line to support the viability and continuing presence of new-book bookstores. It’s disappointing to see that support misplaced and bastardized by B&N subverting that ideal with customer-service practices and policies that are distinctly unfriendly
    ...and the fun continues. The Post Office computerized address system did not recognize the “1 Barnes and Noble Way” street address on the return label I was provided by B&N (cut from their receipt invoice). So the counterperson said they would send it to the city in the address and hope that it gets delivered to where it should go. So to sum up: The address B&N gave me to use via the default shipper for most folks didn’t work. I’m finding this entire experience both grotesque and yet strangely fascinating, like some sort of tragic car accident.

    More news when I have it.

  13. #3513
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,807
    Rep Power
    13
    Ok, who here bought the axe from The Shining? I know it had to be one of you people.

    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...152248603.html

  14. #3514
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,945
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Ok, who here bought the axe from The Shining? I know it had to be one of you people.

    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...152248603.html
    I would have but I already have an axe.

  15. #3515
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,807
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I would have but I already have an axe.
    At that price I would have considered it if it was big enough to live inside.

  16. #3516
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,606
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    ...and the fun continues. The Post Office computerized address system did not recognize the “1 Barnes and Noble Way” street address on the return label I was provided by B&N (cut from their receipt invoice). So the counterperson said they would send it to the city in the address and hope that it gets delivered to where it should go. So to sum up: The address B&N gave me to use via the default shipper for most folks didn’t work. I’m finding this entire experience both grotesque and yet strangely fascinating, like some sort of tragic car accident.

    More news when I have it.
    Well, the denouement of this little adventure was (thankfully) a bit anti-climactic: My refund was just issued in full back to the credit card linked to my PayPal. Again, why that process couldn’t have happened at the local store when I brought in the book is beyond me, but I’m just glad it’s now resolved.

  17. #3517
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,586
    Rep Power
    13
    Glad it is over. Sad that you had to jump through hoops like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Well, the denouement of this little adventure was (thankfully) a bit anti-climactic: My refund was just issued in full back to the credit card linked to my PayPal. Again, why that process couldn’t have happened at the local store when I brought in the book is beyond me, but I’m just glad it’s now resolved.

  18. #3518
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,606
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Glad it is over. Sad that you had to jump through hoops like that.
    Thanks, Ben. No worries, it's the first and last time...lesson learned: no more on-line ordering ever through B&N.com. They've been fine in the past when there were no issues...but it's when there's a problem that you learn which merchants you want to continue to patronize.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 10-03-2019 at 07:14 PM.

  19. #3519
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,617
    Rep Power
    54
    By the way, opening my New Library this Sunday. the coolest feature?? A fireplace that seats SiX LOl!! Stop by if you are in the area!!

    https://www.henricocitizen.com/artic...to-open-oct-6/

    Mike
    Last edited by mhatchett; 10-04-2019 at 10:52 PM.

  20. #3520
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,586
    Rep Power
    13
    My library has limited books. What they do have is a computer room that is filled to the brim with people playing video games and browsing social media. They also have a huge selection of DVDs and Bluerays...I don't go there anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    By the way, opening my New Library this Sunday. the coolest feature?? A fireplace that sits SiX LOl!! Stop by if you are in the area!!

    https://www.henricocitizen.com/artic...to-open-oct-6/

    Mike

Similar Threads

  1. The Random Thread
    By RichardThomas in forum The Writers' Corner
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 10-11-2013, 01:46 AM
  2. Need your thoughts and prayers
    By Ronald Kelly in forum Ronald Kelly
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 11:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •