• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merry Christmas from Christmas Land!

Christmas Land.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
      Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to all and Sundry!! Two Xmas Favorites, a 1st edition Grinch, 1957, we were born the same year LOL!! Our kid's first Christmas book. We bought it in 1981, my son was born in 1982.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]20342[/ATTACH]
      Awesome books!

Comment

Love it!

Comment

A bit late now, but Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
            A bit late now, but Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!
            To you and yours as well, Dan!

Comment

Happy New Year! May you all have a booktastic year, filled with finds, deals and fun!

Comment

HAPPY NEW YEAR! May you all collect without regret!

Comment

Happy New Year!

Comment

new year vintage pinup hollywood ann miller.jpg

Comment

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Comment

I hope everyone had a great New Year's Eve and started the year right!

Comment

I'm tardy....Happy January 3rd.

Comment

Is there such a thing as "reader's block"?

I also posted on the horrorlit reddit:

Obviously, everyone knows about writer's block, where an author will get to a point where they just have to stop.

The reason for my question is this... I have been building a decent sized book collection (many are special edition, signed, etc.). Most of the books I have are ones that I would likely donate or trade at a couple of my local book shops. My main genre for reading is horror, with sci-fi second, and then pretty much anything (science, hockey bios the main ones).

Here is what I am finding lately. I am generally a slow reader to begin with, but I find that it's taking me long than usual to read the books that I have, and get really indecisive when it comes to what to read next. I am really find it hard to thoroughly get into reading lately. I find I get distracted, or just maybe have had a bad run of books I am choosing? My wife even said to me that she noticed it's been a while since I've really got into the book I was reading.

Has anyone here ever really got to a point where you needed a break from reading?

I have other hobbies, especially this time of year (hockey - playing and watching my team on TV), as well as a thing called married life that takes up a lot of time, as well as other issue with our daughter which have been discussed on here before. Reading, especially horror and related works, have always been a type of escape from the mundane everyday thing called reality.

Comment

My 2017 reading was like that - I got burnt out.

My reading totals increased every year for the most part from 2011 (the "beauty" of a long daily commute via train):

2011: 35
                              2012: 42
                              2013: 63
                              2014: 70
                              2015: 112
                              2016: 86
                              2017: 47

My commute did change in 2017, but even the time I spent reading before bed seemed to suffer. I needed that break. Books weren't exciting me like they were before. Maybe I was in a rut from reading the same kinds of books because I wasn't devouring them like I used to.

I'm hoping to pick back up this year, but I'm not sure I will, so I set my Goodreads goal to 50 to make it more manageable (I hope.)

Comment

I definitely believe in "Readers Block". I've gone years with hardly reading a book. I'd pick some up and just have to abandon them, not because they were bad, but because I just wasn't into it at the time.

It hasn't happened to me in a while though, and I have to say taking public transportation helps with that. I get roughly an hour or so of reading each day just on the bus. I do get a kind of genre block, if you will. I read too much of one kind of book or author and I just can't do anymore. For example a couple years ago I was bingeing some fantasy books and I just hit a wall and couldn't finish the one I was on. Could hardly even get into actually. Picked up some hard boiled fiction and crime novels and a month or two later I finished off the fantasy series I'd started prior.

Comment

Working...
                                X