Page 127 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137177 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 3600

Thread: Random thoughts...

  1. #2521
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,039
    Rep Power
    25
    Merry Christmas from Christmas Land!

    Christmas Land.jpg

  2. #2522
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,278
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to all and Sundry!! Two Xmas Favorites, a 1st edition Grinch, 1957, we were born the same year LOL!! Our kid's first Christmas book. We bought it in 1981, my son was born in 1982.
    Attachment 20342
    Awesome books!

  3. #2523
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,716
    Rep Power
    52
    Love it!

  4. #2524
    Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    3,153
    Rep Power
    14
    A bit late now, but Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!

  5. #2525
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,716
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    A bit late now, but Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!
    To you and yours as well, Dan!

  6. #2526
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,632
    Rep Power
    54
    Happy New Year! May you all have a booktastic year, filled with finds, deals and fun!

  7. #2527
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,871
    Rep Power
    13
    HAPPY NEW YEAR! May you all collect without regret!

  8. #2528
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,716
    Rep Power
    52
    Happy New Year!

  9. #2529
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,039
    Rep Power
    25

  10. #2530
    Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,347
    Rep Power
    12
    Happy New Year everyone!!!

  11. #2531
    Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    3,153
    Rep Power
    14
    I hope everyone had a great New Year's Eve and started the year right!

  12. #2532
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication subie09lega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    866
    Rep Power
    8
    I'm tardy....Happy January 3rd.

  13. #2533
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Windsor, ON
    Posts
    2,232
    Rep Power
    12
    Is there such a thing as "reader's block"?

    I also posted on the horrorlit reddit:

    Obviously, everyone knows about writer's block, where an author will get to a point where they just have to stop.

    The reason for my question is this... I have been building a decent sized book collection (many are special edition, signed, etc.). Most of the books I have are ones that I would likely donate or trade at a couple of my local book shops. My main genre for reading is horror, with sci-fi second, and then pretty much anything (science, hockey bios the main ones).

    Here is what I am finding lately. I am generally a slow reader to begin with, but I find that it's taking me long than usual to read the books that I have, and get really indecisive when it comes to what to read next. I am really find it hard to thoroughly get into reading lately. I find I get distracted, or just maybe have had a bad run of books I am choosing? My wife even said to me that she noticed it's been a while since I've really got into the book I was reading.

    Has anyone here ever really got to a point where you needed a break from reading?

    I have other hobbies, especially this time of year (hockey - playing and watching my team on TV), as well as a thing called married life that takes up a lot of time, as well as other issue with our daughter which have been discussed on here before. Reading, especially horror and related works, have always been a type of escape from the mundane everyday thing called reality.

  14. #2534
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greater Denver Area, Colorado
    Posts
    974
    Rep Power
    10
    My 2017 reading was like that - I got burnt out.

    My reading totals increased every year for the most part from 2011 (the "beauty" of a long daily commute via train):

    2011: 35
    2012: 42
    2013: 63
    2014: 70
    2015: 112
    2016: 86
    2017: 47

    My commute did change in 2017, but even the time I spent reading before bed seemed to suffer. I needed that break. Books weren't exciting me like they were before. Maybe I was in a rut from reading the same kinds of books because I wasn't devouring them like I used to.

    I'm hoping to pick back up this year, but I'm not sure I will, so I set my Goodreads goal to 50 to make it more manageable (I hope.)

  15. #2535
    Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    3,153
    Rep Power
    14
    I definitely believe in "Readers Block". I've gone years with hardly reading a book. I'd pick some up and just have to abandon them, not because they were bad, but because I just wasn't into it at the time.

    It hasn't happened to me in a while though, and I have to say taking public transportation helps with that. I get roughly an hour or so of reading each day just on the bus. I do get a kind of genre block, if you will. I read too much of one kind of book or author and I just can't do anymore. For example a couple years ago I was bingeing some fantasy books and I just hit a wall and couldn't finish the one I was on. Could hardly even get into actually. Picked up some hard boiled fiction and crime novels and a month or two later I finished off the fantasy series I'd started prior.

  16. #2536
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Windsor, ON
    Posts
    2,232
    Rep Power
    12
    Interesting....for me, my commute is whole 11 minutes! Makes audio books pointless pretty much, plus we have a morning show here out of Detroit that is just too much fun to pass on!

    I am starting a short story collection by a local author actually. Saw his books review on JournalStone's website, and he happens to work at the local used shop I frequent. It's like a combo of horror/sci-fi/weird fiction from I understand. Maybe the short stories will help things along. If not, after this, I will try a genre switch (have a couple science books I want to get to), and if that fails.....maybe take a small break.

    I set my Goodreads goal low this year, as I was nowhere close to my 2017 goal.

    I think part of my problem is that I look at my bookshelf and there are so many I haven't read yet.....it's almost overwhelming, yet here I am adding more.

  17. #2537
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greater Denver Area, Colorado
    Posts
    974
    Rep Power
    10
    11 minutes? That's criminal . . . I live 44 miles from work. If I take the bus, it's two buses in the morning and takes about 1:40 from door to door. The evening is three buses and it takes between 2-3 hours from door to door. I carpooled for awhile and it was about 60-80 minutes in the morning, and 70-90 in the evening. Driving alone and minimum of 90 in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. That's why I'm exhausted.

    I'm currently reading The Fifth Season - it's going ok - little slow (not a fast Jack Reacher kind of page turner by any means!) but it's going good. The other day I was thinking of some other books I wanted to read this year, but have promptly forgot which they were (thank you head cold!)

  18. #2538
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Windsor, ON
    Posts
    2,232
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    11 minutes? That's criminal . . . I live 44 miles from work. If I take the bus, it's two buses in the morning and takes about 1:40 from door to door. The evening is three buses and it takes between 2-3 hours from door to door. I carpooled for awhile and it was about 60-80 minutes in the morning, and 70-90 in the evening. Driving alone and minimum of 90 in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. That's why I'm exhausted.

    I'm currently reading The Fifth Season - it's going ok - little slow (not a fast Jack Reacher kind of page turner by any means!) but it's going good. The other day I was thinking of some other books I wanted to read this year, but have promptly forgot which they were (thank you head cold!)
    Actually.....I was off a bit. It's more like 15-20 minutes (in traffic). My house is only 11km from work. I like it, and consider myself pretty lucky. Plus our city isn't really that big (225,000). My wife just started a job out in the county, so her drive is like 30 mins (about 26 km (16 miles).

  19. #2539
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,716
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by TJCams View Post
    Interesting....for me, my commute is whole 11 minutes! Makes audio books pointless pretty much, plus we have a morning show here out of Detroit that is just too much fun to pass on!

    I am starting a short story collection by a local author actually. Saw his books review on JournalStone's website, and he happens to work at the local used shop I frequent. It's like a combo of horror/sci-fi/weird fiction from I understand. Maybe the short stories will help things along. If not, after this, I will try a genre switch (have a couple science books I want to get to), and if that fails.....maybe take a small break.

    I set my Goodreads goal low this year, as I was nowhere close to my 2017 goal.

    I think part of my problem is that I look at my bookshelf and there are so many I haven't read yet.....it's almost overwhelming, yet here I am adding more.
    I've pretty much gone over to audiobooks completely. There's always in the CD player in my truck. Even if I'm just out and about running errands or a quick jog to the store. Can take awhile to finish 'em that way but at least I'm "reading" something all the time.

  20. #2540
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan
    Posts
    503
    Rep Power
    10
    I'm only about a 2 to 3 minute drive from work. Its not even a mile from home.

Similar Threads

  1. The Random Thread
    By RichardThomas in forum The Writers' Corner
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 10-11-2013, 01:46 AM
  2. Need your thoughts and prayers
    By Ronald Kelly in forum Ronald Kelly
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 11:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •