Page 179 of 180 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180 LastLast
Results 3,561 to 3,580 of 3591

Thread: Random thoughts...

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saginawhorror View Post
    It's it nice when you order a book and what shows up is a non traycased lettered edition. It was The CD edition of Four Octobers by Rick Hautala. I bought it from thriftbooks so I was half expecting a library copy. Very happy!
    SCORE!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    That is very cool. I have had that book on my wish list for awhile now. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by saginawhorror View Post
    It's it nice when you order a book and what shows up is a non traycased lettered edition. It was The CD edition of Four Octobers by Rick Hautala. I bought it from thriftbooks so I was half expecting a library copy. Very happy!

Think I will be ditching directtv after being a customer for the last 6 years or so. Trying out youtube tv right now and it seems like a pretty nice set-up and easy to use. Tired of paying $100/month with DTV and missing local channels and outages during storms...I live in Florida and it's fairly frequent in the stormy months. The youtube thing is $50/month and looks to have a decent lineup of channels, DVR type options, and all my local channels which I cannot get with an OTA antenna.

Anyone else familiar with the youtube service? If so any pros or cons from your experience?

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Think I will be ditching directtv after being a customer for the last 6 years or so. Trying out youtube tv right now and it seems like a pretty nice set-up and easy to use. Tired of paying $100/month with DTV and missing local channels and outages during storms...I live in Florida and it's fairly frequent in the stormy months. The youtube thing is $50/month and looks to have a decent lineup of channels, DVR type options, and all my local channels which I cannot get with an OTA antenna.

Anyone else familiar with the youtube service? If so any pros or cons from your experience?
    I ditched Verizon a few weeks ago, and I'm saving $190 a month.

I went with Xfinity/Comcast internet at $40/month, YouTubeTV at $50 a month, added HBO to my Amazon Prime for $15 a month (wifey needed HBO), and I'm very happy with it.

YouTube has unlimited DVR (it costs them nothing - all it does really is flag a program so you can watch it any time), and you can have separate libraries for different family members.

I have one newer TV that already has Roku built in (a TCL TV), but my older TV has no connectivity, so I bought a Roku for that one, too. The Roku interface is nice. You can move your favorite channels/apps to the home screen and put them in any order you like. It makes it very easy to bounce from Amazon Prime to Netflix to YouTubeTV.

Here's a good article with a spreadsheet showing who has which channels - https://www.cnet.com/news/best-live-...-cord-cutters/

Thanks for the feedback.

Well I called DTV and cancelled. Bad timing as they don't prorate anymore. Apparently they made this change early this year.

So far I don't miss them at all. YoutubeTV has the channels I watch and the ROKU has plenty of features if I want to utilize them. I will take my extra $600/year and probably just blow it on something...

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    I will take my extra $600/year and probably just blow it on something...
    Well, Ben, can I send you some pamphlets about a charity that recently formed to help close the happiness gap one Jeff at a time. It's called Books For Jeff and it really can make a difference. If we can change just one person's life (that person being Jeff) then we can make the whole world a better place somehow!

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Well, Ben, can I send you some pamphlets about a charity that recently formed to help close the happiness gap one Jeff at a time. It's called Books For Jeff and it really can make a difference. If we can change just one person's life (that person being Jeff) then we can make the whole world a better place somehow!
    I've heard that only 30% of books given to Books For Jeff actually make it to an actual Jeff! I think it's a scam.

This is why all my donations go straight to The Human Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    I've heard that only 30% of books given to Books For Jeff actually make it to an actual Jeff! I think it's a scam.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    I found a five volume Folio Society set The Story of the Middle Ages. I want to buy this slipcased set and I could get it for just over $50. I tell myself I can't buy it due to a lack of space and I have way too many books already. The angel dude is on one shoulder-Don't buy it! and the devil dude is on the other shoulder saying Buy it, buy it!! I listened to two audio lectures by Professor Thomas F Madden about the Middle ages and those lectures were awesome. I had looked for a long time until I realized that Professor Madden also covered this topic in his lectures. The lectures were The Modern Scholar: The Medieval World I: Kingdoms, Empires, and War and The Medieval World, Part II: Society, Economy, and Culture.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

You know that recessed spot on top of some bookcases? Well yesterday I was going to put a decorative piece up there and discovered not one but two boxes hiding up there.

Pretty cool to rediscover a few forgotten books! I suppose when I bought this place a few years ago they got put up there during the moving in process.

The books were a LE of "Dark Advent" by Brian Hodge and a deluxe slipcase copy of "Smoke and Mirrors". It was like an early Christmas to me.

On a side note I forgot how much I like that oversized Smoke and Mirrors. Cool book and a number of great signatures.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    You know that recessed spot on top of some bookcases? Well yesterday I was going to put a decorative piece up there and discovered not one but two boxes hiding up there.

Pretty cool to rediscover a few forgotten books! I suppose when I bought this place a few years ago they got put up there during the moving in process.

The books were a LE of "Dark Advent" by Brian Hodge and a deluxe slipcase copy of "Smoke and Mirrors". It was like an early Christmas to me.

On a side note I forgot how much I like that oversized Smoke and Mirrors. Cool book and a number of great signatures.
    Book on a shelve!

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar

Nice find! I know I have some stuffed above my desk hutch. Can't recall right what is up there.

Exactly. LOL LOL

Upon further investigation I found two PB copies of "In Mint Condition 2013" which some may know about and one of these artprints:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-Kin...0AAOSw71xZnFmM

signed by a Mike Perkins. Have no idea where that one came from and no recollection of buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Book on a shelve!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Nice find! I know I have some stuffed above my desk hutch. Can't recall right what is up there.

One of the screws on my glasses just sheared in half. Grumble.
    Last edited by Ben Staad; 11-20-2019 at 02:27 AM.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Yikes!

Thanks Ron Clinton for trading books with me two months ago. I got McKain's Dilemma by Chet Williamson and it has been a very good read. I'm nearing the end of the book. ~Cap

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    Thanks Ron Clinton for trading books with me two months ago. I got McKain's Dilemma by Chet Williamson and it has been a very good read. I'm nearing the end of the book. ~Cap
    Glad you enjoyed it. Chet Williamson is one of those great authors that you just have to wonder why they never made it bigger, since it's definitely not the quality of their work. Unfortunately, there are far too many of those...the late Ed Gorman comes to mind, who while he had a generally successful and prolific career in mystery fiction, should have been one of the biggest names in the genre.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it. Chet Williamson is one of those great authors that you just have to wonder why they never made it bigger, since it's definitely not the quality of their work. Unfortunately, there are far too many of those...the late Ed Gorman comes to mind, who while he had a generally successful and prolific career in mystery fiction, should have been one of the biggest names in the genre.
    Got to agree on the Chet Williamson comment. Every time I run across one of his novels, I'm always impressed. I really remember enjoying his novel "Reign". Have only read a little Gorman, mostly the westerns, and do remember enjoying them. Haven't read any of his mystery stuff. One author that comes to mind for me that I always thought should be bigger is Douglas Clegg. Found a copy of his novel "Neverland" and really enjoyed it. Because of that, I began reading his backlist and was blown away. Can't believe I hadn't heard/read his stuff prior.

I decided to snag the Chet Williamson book I mentioned in another thread after enjoying McKain's Dilemma. I do have another Chet Williamson book, The Story Of Nocihi The Blind, which I have not yet read. I know I have one Ed Gorman book which I have not read, the title may be Cages, I am not sure right now ~Cap

Quote Originally Posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Got to agree on the Chet Williamson comment. Every time I run across one of his novels, I'm always impressed. I really remember enjoying his novel "Reign". Have only read a little Gorman, mostly the westerns, and do remember enjoying them. Haven't read any of his mystery stuff. One author that comes to mind for me that I always thought should be bigger is Douglas Clegg. Found a copy of his novel "Neverland" and really enjoyed it. Because of that, I began reading his backlist and was blown away. Can't believe I hadn't heard/read his stuff prior.
    Last edited by c marvel; 11-21-2019 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Didn't read all of sholloman81's reply

I like the sound of the latest announcement from CD. I am not familiar with the author but it sounds interesting.