Page 129 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 2970

Thread: Random thoughts...

  1. #2561
    Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,279
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Okay...I did it. I am now a Centipede Press Subscriber. I am looking forward to being very poor this year!
    Bam! Your going to enjoy it!

  2. #2562
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    741
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Okay...I did it. I am now a Centipede Press Subscriber. I am looking forward to being very poor this year!
    Congrats! A subscription to CP for me is a guarantee that I would die broke but extremely happy. If I could swing it and still buy from other publishers I would. I love their stuff. And matching numbers on everything!

  3. #2563
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,750
    Rep Power
    11
    Thanks, guys! I’m pretty excited. For some reason I’ve had a bad habit of talking myself out of buying Centipede Press books and I always regret it. I decided to fix that this year! My focus will be narrowed quite a bit to mainly Centipede and CD with MAYBE a couple Earthling or Sub Press, but the wallet isn’t infinite.

  4. #2564
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    86
    Rep Power
    1
    Thanks Ron and Dave,

    Your advice is much appreciated and I will make sure I check them out.

  5. #2565
    Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    3,123
    Rep Power
    13
    Just read that Gerald Winters bookstore in Bangor got flooded. That really crappy. Tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage including original manuscripts and rare editions. I hope to hell he was well insured.

  6. #2566
    Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    4,565
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Just read that Gerald Winters bookstore in Bangor got flooded. That really crappy. Tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage including original manuscripts and rare editions. I hope to hell he was well insured.
    I read that as well. Some real treasures were lost.

  7. #2567
    Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,279
    Rep Power
    9
    I know we often comment on the expense of Centipede's books, however, the John Blackburn books, signed by Gahan Wilson for $45.00 each. You can't beat that for value!

  8. #2568
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    741
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    I know we often comment on the expense of Centipede's books, however, the John Blackburn books, signed by Gahan Wilson for $45.00 each. You can't beat that for value!
    I grabbed those. So I'll have matching numbers on all four Blackburn novels. Even though I've only read Scent of New Mown Hay and while I enjoyed it, I wasn't blown away. Not enough to justify buying two more Blackburn books. I think this is a case of me being a Centipede Press fan more than a fan of the author. I like what I'm seeing about the other three and I'm hoping they're better and better.

  9. #2569
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    858
    Rep Power
    9
    Blackburn's work is something that I should be all over: vintage macabre that's a hybrid of horror and thriller with an English sensibility...how can you go wrong with that formula?

    But I've tried three times to get into his work (all three times before Centipede took up his backlist...Blackburn came across my radar years ago) and I just can't do it. I can't even necessarily define why, other than I find them very dry in tone and completely uninvolving...but for whatever reason(s) it just doesn't click with me. So as attractive as these Blackburn Centipede titles are, both in price and production, and as much of a fan as I am of the press, I've decided to skip the series. I question my decision each time Jerad announced a new Blackburn, but ultimately it's the right decision for me.

  10. #2570
    Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,279
    Rep Power
    9
    I know what you mean. Sometimes, it's just not to be. However, I bought a book many years ago, The Witch's Hammer by Jane Hitchcock, I started that book 2 times, just couldn't get into it, the 3rd time was the charm. One of my favorite books now. As you've said before Ron, and I agree, we can't buy everything. I'll be honest as well, I bought the books for Gahan Wilson's signature, s much as any thing else LOL!!! He's 87 you know HAhaha!

  11. #2571
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,750
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Blackburn's work is something that I should be all over: vintage macabre that's a hybrid of horror and thriller with an English sensibility...how can you go wrong with that formula?

    But I've tried three times to get into his work (all three times before Centipede took up his backlist...Blackburn came across my radar years ago) and I just can't do it. I can't even necessarily define why, other than I find them very dry in tone and completely uninvolving...but for whatever reason(s) it just doesn't click with me. So as attractive as these Blackburn Centipede titles are, both in price and production, and as much of a fan as I am of the press, I've decided to skip the series. I question my decision each time Jerad announced a new Blackburn, but ultimately it's the right decision for me.
    Man...and I just went all in on this series. I picked up the first two from Camelot and have the next two coming straight from Centipede. These sound right up my alley, but I’m a little nervous.

  12. #2572
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    858
    Rep Power
    9
    Ah, I wouldn’t worry about it…you may end up loving his work. I continue to be surprised that I don’t.

  13. #2573
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    741
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Man...and I just went all in on this series. I picked up the first two from Camelot and have the next two coming straight from Centipede. These sound right up my alley, but I’m a little nervous.
    I liked Scent of New Mown Hay. It had an interesting mix of horror and espionage (even if the horror was all "off-screen"). It was not something I'd normally seek out, but I enjoyed it. The other books sound even better. I'm just chastising myself for using up funds on these books when maybe I should save my warchest for "must-haves." Though it will be cool to have four matching numbers and the DJ art is trippy. AND it's Centipede Press--can't go wrong with CP.

  14. #2574
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,750
    Rep Power
    11
    I’ll definitely give the Blackburn books their fair shot. Sometimes it’s all about the mindset and expectations going into it.

  15. #2575
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,750
    Rep Power
    11
    So somebody dropped six grand on a pair of Earthling Lettered editions through Camelot: King Rat and Song of Kali! I wish I had that kinda dough, because those are some beautiful books. Right now I keep telling myself I donít need the lettered More Tomorrow by Michael Marshall Smith.

  16. #2576
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    858
    Rep Power
    9
    I saw those...they were very attractive, but, boy, I just don't get the mindset of the lettered collector. Maybe it's because I also don't have their budget, given my other spendy hobbies that drain my $$ and time, but even if I did, I just don't understand the perceived added value of a lettered over a numbered, and I never have. It's typically not in the resale, it's rarely in the production values, and while the limitation is of course less, are the usual small differences enough to really distinguish a lettered from a numbered that they don't seem like they're both still of the same close family, like twins with different moles...? I agree lettered editions are cool in the abstract (and I even have a few, thanks to some good timing, smart wheeling-and-dealing, etc.), but in the practical they sure seem like a extravagance that don't make a great deal of sense. Then again, on a less extreme level, I suppose one could say (as my wife has been known to until she gave up) the same thing about numbered editions ("Why do you want that fancy $50 book when this $5 paperback reads exactly the same...?").

  17. #2577
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,730
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Then again, on a less extreme level, I suppose one could say (as my wife has been known to until she gave up) the same thing about numbered editions ("Why do you want that fancy $50 book when this $5 paperback reads exactly the same...?").
    That is so true, Ron LOL! For some strange reason, my wife feels so much more comfortable about the 3 grand we're about to drop on a flooring project vs. books

  18. #2578
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Windsor, ON
    Posts
    2,232
    Rep Power
    10
    I'm sure someone here can direct me, but I'm looking for the post that listed what books were in what bundles/grab bags/collectors clubs. One of the posters here put together the posts. Can't seem to find it!

  19. #2579
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,750
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by TJCams View Post
    I'm sure someone here can direct me, but I'm looking for the post that listed what books were in what bundles/grab bags/collectors clubs. One of the posters here put together the posts. Can't seem to find it!
    I don’t know if it’s exactly what you are looking for but here’s a thread that I posted for all the Not For Sale books that CD has put out: http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showt...ale-quot-Books

  20. #2580
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Windsor, ON
    Posts
    2,232
    Rep Power
    10
    Thanks! That's the one.

Similar Threads

  1. The Random Thread
    By RichardThomas in forum The Writers' Corner
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 10-11-2013, 12:46 AM
  2. Need your thoughts and prayers
    By Ronald Kelly in forum Ronald Kelly
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 10:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •