Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    That really sucks. Guess I don't get a limited edition of one of my favorite books.
    That is disappointing. Maybe an unsigned edition will be available and it will be more in your range. I was kinda hoping this would be in the ballpark of $150.

Comment

That really sucks. Guess I don't get a limited edition of one of my favorite books.
      Sorry. It's possible that the secondary market will be better to you. Who knows how either of these editions will hold up going forward. Centipede is a proven publisher with a record of holding value. But I have seen some of their editions dip. Suntup is anyone's guess. Their edition didn't sell quickly enough to silence all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
        Sorry. It's possible that the secondary market will be better to you. Who knows how either of these editions will hold up going forward. Centipede is a proven publisher with a record of holding value. But I have seen some of their editions dip. Suntup is anyone's guess. Their edition didn't sell quickly enough to silence all doubt.
        True. But they are at 80% sold and all the lettered editions sold out. I am just stunned that this book is so high priced. Especially the Centipede edition. I played less then $100 for a signed copy of Logan's Run and it was signed by the authors . We shall see. For now it's just a wait and see.

Comment

Jeff I saw your latest video and wanted to let you know what that glued on junk is in the dinged book from Sub Press. That's a sure sign it's a return from a distributor that deals in supplying books to libraries. Often what happens is the distributor or even library themselves glue the dust jacket to the book for the library. This way the DJ doesn't get separated from the book as people are borrowing it. Unfortunately the way those distributors work publishers have to accept all returns from them as if they where un-damaged. You'd be shocked by the number of Gwendy's I have sitting around that are like that, it's absurd.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
            Jeff I saw your latest video and wanted to let you know what that glued on junk is in the dinged book from Sub Press. That's a sure sign it's a return from a distributor that deals in supplying books to libraries. Often what happens is the distributor or even library themselves glue the dust jacket to the book for the library. This way the DJ doesn't get separated from the book as people are borrowing it. Unfortunately the way those distributors work publishers have to accept all returns from them as if they where un-damaged. You'd be shocked by the number of Gwendy's I have sitting around that are like that, it's absurd.
            WOW. That's rough! I don't understand why a signed limited would end up at a library though. Unless that's why it was sent back. Maybe they realized they didn't have a trade edition so they pulled it? Obviously not before the damage was done.

Thanks for the info! I'm really happy with the book (considering the price). It's another Lansdale sig and more Lansdale stories. If I had known the condition of the book before I bought it, I still would have made the purchase.

Comment

True. But they are at 80% sold and all the lettered editions sold out. I am just stunned that this book is so high priced. Especially the Centipede edition. I played less then $100 for a signed copy of Logan's Run and it was signed by the authors . We shall see. For now it's just a wait and see.

I am dying to see how this plays out for Jerad. His edition is estimated to be out before Suntup's edition even though Paul has already taken preorders and Jerad hasn't opened orders to the public yet. This is about as head-to-head as it can get. Even though Centipede is proven high quality and Suntup hasn't released a single book yet.

Comment

WOW. That's rough! I don't understand why a signed limited would end up at a library though. Unless that's why it was sent back. Maybe they realized they didn't have a trade edition so they pulled it? Obviously not before the damage was done.

Thanks for the info! I'm really happy with the book (considering the price). It's another Lansdale sig and more Lansdale stories. If I had known the condition of the book before I bought it, I still would have made the purchase.
                There are several signed edition books in our library. I have checked out Mondo Zombie from Cemetery Dance and A couple of Lansdale books and a David Morrel book from Subterranean Press. I was just as shocked as you would think to see these books sitting on a shelf in the local library. I loved both of your last videos. The book plate is a really cool added bonus.

Comment

Signed limiteds end up at libraries all the time. Often times it can be the only version of the book available. Sub Press operates much like we do with large print runs, which tends to mean we have stock of a lot of titles for awhile. We list our titles with the major distributors and they list it in their catalogs for libraries and bookstores to purchase from them. I'm never really sure how libraries are curated though, I would assume they have a budget and then they either order what they want or what people request. No idea.
                  CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                  Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

My local library system has several Subterranean Press and Cemetery Dance signed/limited books on their shelves.

Comment

I would say they were probably gifts/Donations. Most libraries use jobbers/standing orders to fill their collections. requests get handled on an individual basis. I can assure you our library system would not be dropping big money on collectable/signed books. It's rare to find a small press item in our collection at all.

Comment

There are several signed edition books in our library. I have checked out Mondo Zombie from Cemetery Dance and A couple of Lansdale books and a David Morrel book from Subterranean Press. I was just as shocked as you would think to see these books sitting on a shelf in the local library. I loved both of your last videos. The book plate is a really cool added bonus.
                        I'm glad you liked the videos. That book plate was such a great surprise. I was beyond thrilled.

Comment

Seems I've gotten an education as well as outed myself as someone who spends no time at my local library. I've never seen a signed edition the few times I've borrowed books. Lately I have so many awesome editions, I never need to stop in and take out a book. The last book I took out from my library was YOU by Caroline Kepnes--very interesting read.

Comment

I don't use my library system much, either, I'm chagrined to admit, but I have over the years, and have seen a number of signed/limiteds pass through my hands via library borrowing...have also seen a number of ex-library signed/limiteds on eBay and local libarary sales, so it actually appears to be a rather generous number, all things considered. Like Dan, though, I have no idea how they're ordered/curated or what discount they may receive to justify it.
                            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I remember a post on TDT about a copy of Sub Press’s The Last Unicorn coming from a library sale. The book was in perfect condition with the exception of some internal glue.

My library has a bunch of trade editions of a variety of Sub Press books so I assume whoever is in charge of procurement enjoys the boutique presses.

I for one use my library quite a bit. I get ebooks often, a bunch of CDs (that I might just rip ...) and the occasional analogue book (because the ebook has a crazy long hold time, and the analogue version can’t be held or renewed (mostly brand new new releases.))

Comment

Well, Jeff has gone and become famous for his unboxing videos. His one for the lettered edition of Off Season was included in today’s Dark Regions email newsletter. Congratulations, Jeff!

Comment

Working...
                                X