No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm reading a Fredric Brown double-novel The Far Cry and The Screaming Mimi published by Bruin Books LLC under their Bruin Crimeworks imprint. I had wanted to read Fredric Brown and selected this double-novel. The Far Cry was excellent, I loved the story. I am not yet done reading The Screaming Mini, I do love this story too. Here is my beef. There were no typos in The Far Cry, yet there are multiple typos and mangled sentences that stand out in The Screaming Mimi. I suspect that once again someone -- the editor? or the publisher? - couldn't take the time to have the novel proofread. Typos and the like drive me totally bonkers! I will not buy another book from Bruin Books.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Love that image.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
        Love that image.
        You love what image Jeff?

Oh, BTW - second part of this post - I was looking last night for info on author Alan Draven. I found his outdated blog so I then went to Facebook. I clicked on the someone who has the name Alan Draven and *Wow!* was stunned at the picture I saw. I had no idea Facebook would let anyone get away with posting such a picture. For the curious, you have been warned if you go to Facebook to look at what I've mentioned.

Cap

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
          You love what image Jeff?

Cap
          Sorry, the image that Martin posted.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
            Today I got White Bizango by Stephen Gallagher. I ordered this book from the Subterranean Press Low Stock sale. There is a tiny little "glob" of something on the back of the dustjacket. Any tips on how to safely remove it? I hope my post doesn't get lost in this thread.

Cap
            If it is a newer shiny type dustjacket, use a Q-tip or two with lighter fluid. The lighter fluid will release adhesives and quickly evaporate without heavy residue.

Comment

Deena Warner came by and did a great Halloween program at my new library last night. She is such a nice person!

Comment

Very cool. She has always been nice via email and I love her Halloween cards!

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                Deena Warner came by and did a great Halloween program at my new library last night. She is such a nice person!
                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

This reminds me that I never changed my address for these. Wonder if it's too late . . .

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                    This reminds me that I never changed my address for these. Wonder if it's too late . . .
                    Couldn't hurt to reach out to her.

Comment

The time has come. I'm starting to weed my collection. Years and years of collecting, just have to let some of it go, harder than it sounds right. Time for a value judgments, is this title/edition better than this one? Am I ever going to read this book again? Just have to make room. It is ridiculously emotional. What do you Love best. Not Like, love. Have a great Sunday guys!

Comment

The time has come. I'm starting to weed my collection. Years and years of collecting, just have to let some of it go, harder than it sounds right. Time for a value judgments, is this title/edition better than this one? Am I ever going to read this book again? Just have to make room. It is ridiculously emotional. What do you Love best. Not Like, love. Have a great Sunday guys!
                        I need to do this with my movie collection in addition to my books. It was especially telling because I just completed a huge move and I have so much media and no room for it anymore.

There are two big boxes of CDs I need to get rid of (I re-ripped as lossless) but just can’t bare the fact I’ll get half pennies for each.

But it does need to happen.

Books and movies. One of these days ...

Comment

That’s gut-wrenching, emotional work indeed. Sounds like you need help getting through this difficult time. Sounds like you need to get ahold of the Clinton Adoptive Home for Wayward Books...it’ll find a good home for your books at absolutely no charge to you. Truly, they do God’s work.
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                            That’s gut-wrenching, emotional work indeed. Sounds like you need help getting through this difficult time. Sounds like you need to get ahold of the Clinton Adoptive Home for Wayward Books...it’ll find a good home for your books at absolutely no charge to you. Truly, they do God’s work.
                            As usual Ron,you know just what to say to heal the suffering bibliophile HAHAHA!!!

Comment

That is tough Mike. I almost completely liquidated my collection several years back. Now I have more stuff than I did back then! I need at least 5 more bookcases to house the stuff I currently have.

Comment

I've actually been trying to slim down my possessions ever since the new company got into Yosemite in March 2016. I have not really been a happy person since they got the new contract here. That first summer I donated at least six audio books on CD that I new I would not listen to again. I've been donating some items periodically. This summer it expanded to my books and as you all know I've been doing eBay auctions. For the most part the books I've sold I've enjoyed, but I don't really want to keep. My real goal is to thin out and refine my book collection. I am going to do one more round of eBay auctions for sure. After that I may be done eBaying (Selling) books.

Cap

Comment

Working...
                                X