Page 128 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 2970

Thread: Random thoughts...

Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    I have about a 30 minute commute to work and about 45 minutes back in the evening. I have switched to audio books while in the car, I have tried to also listen while at work but I find I am not able to focus fully on the story so it does not work for me. I read physical books while at home so I now always have two books in progress.

Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    God Bless Y'all that have those long commutes!

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    I definitely believe in "Readers Block". I've gone years with hardly reading a book. I'd pick some up and just have to abandon them, not because they were bad, but because I just wasn't into it at the time.
    My reading pattern tends to go through cycles, ebbs and flows, and there will be times where I just can't seem to get into any work of fiction. At that point, I'll just not worry about even trying for a week or two, then I'll pick up some non-fiction for a while (I usually have one non-fiction book going at all times, but alternate with fiction, with the latter getting the lion's share of reading time), focus on non-fiction for two, three, four books. A few books seem to cleanse the mind, then I'll start off with a book from an author I *know* I will like, and nothing too obscure or challenging, just a simple, straight-forward tale, to ease back into it. Seems to work for me.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    I think diversity is the key to maintaining reading habits. I don’t do non-fiction, but always try to work non-horror into my reading list as a palate cleanser. My lack of reading over the last 18 months is solely attributable to my promotion and added workload. I’ve decided to get back on track this year. Oddly enough I find myself rather at loose ends when I don’t read for long periods of time.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    I use a combination of Audiobooks and reading. But never the same book on both forms. You can do that with Kindle/Audible but I like having at least two books on the go. But I hardly ever read books as such. While I must own them, I don;t often read the hard copies. I buy them and put them on the shelf, and read the kindle version on my tablet. Usually because I do most of my reading while in bed, or travelling (on planes and waiting around at airports). It's more convenient for me that way.
    When I have a bit of spare time to sit around and read at home, I will usually go for a graphic novel or picture book - something you can't really do on the tablet or on audible.
    Sometimes I get a little confused - at the moment I am listening to Swan Song and reading The Passage - both end of the world books. A couple of times I have found myself thinking about the other one...
    This afternoon I spent half an hour on the couch reading Apollo by Zack Scott, which I picked up at my local book shop today. I love the Apollo Missions and this is a lovely book.

How about trying some short story compilations?

I have a bunch of Horror best of 20xx books on my kindle, plus a Time Travel omnibus, a few volumes of Louis L'Amour short stories, etc. If there's ever a time when I just want to read something quick, I bounce back to one of those books and read a story or two. I've been reading the Time Travel stories for at least three years, and I'm still nowhere near done with that book.

I also throw in non-fiction. I have books by cyclists, F1 drivers, Scientists...all sorts of stuff. Sometimes I'll read them straight through, sometimes I'll go back to fiction for a while.

Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    Just a heads up, Jerad is opening up the subscription plan for anyone that's interested.

Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Just a heads up, Jerad is opening up the subscription plan for anyone that's interested.
    Yeah, I saw that, too. I love his press, but my pockets are not deep enough nor my tastes unerringly consistent enough with Jerad's to allow it.

Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    My thoughts on Reader's Block will echo many already posted. I have experienced it a few times. Usually after reading multiple less than stellar reads in a row. Most of the time I will force myself to complete a book even if I am not enjoying it. When I have had to do that multiple time in a row it removes the joy from reading. The first sign for me is a slow my pace and find myself resisting picking the book up to continue. The next is when I finish I have trouble deciding what to read next. I have walked away form reading for maybe a month but find I feel I need to get back to it. The problem is a part of me does not want to dive back into reading as well. I usually break out of that by reading something I have read before and really enjoyed, often starting with short stories. Once I am able to get my reading rhythm back I am good to go.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    How about trying some short story compilations?

I have a bunch of Horror best of 20xx books on my kindle, plus a Time Travel omnibus, a few volumes of Louis L'Amour short stories, etc. If there's ever a time when I just want to read something quick, I bounce back to one of those books and read a story or two. I've been reading the Time Travel stories for at least three years, and I'm still nowhere near done with that book.

I also throw in non-fiction. I have books by cyclists, F1 drivers, Scientists...all sorts of stuff. Sometimes I'll read them straight through, sometimes I'll go back to fiction for a while.
    Nice....a fellow F1 fan!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    I’m considering joining. They have so many upcoming books that I want that taking advantage of the subscription might make sense. Aside from CD, Centipede is the other publisher whose offerings lineup with my personal tastes the most.

Quote Originally Posted by TJCams View Post
    Nice....a fellow F1 fan!!!!!
    Yes, I've been watching F1 since the the '70s! I missed most of the '90s, because when I moved to the US my cable company didn't have F1 at all.

Last year I read Damon Hill's book, Jenson Button's book, and a book on F1 by Ross Brawn called Total Competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    Yes, I've been watching F1 since the the '70s! I missed most of the '90s, because when I moved to the US my cable company didn't have F1 at all.

Last year I read Damon Hill's book, Jenson Button's book, and a book on F1 by Ross Brawn called Total Competition.
    F1 is much bigger here in Canada. It's always been on TV (even before cable/sat TV). Watched it with my Dad growing up in the late 70s, and early 80s, and pretty much as many races as I can - the early morning start times (afternoon in Europe) make it kind of convenient. Thinking of heading to Montreal for the race this summer actually (closest race to me since they scrapped Indianapolis). A guy I play hockey with went to the Belgian GP last year.

F1 is much bigger here in Canada. It's always been on TV (even before cable/sat TV). Watched it with my Dad growing up in the late 70s, and early 80s, and pretty much as many races as I can - the early morning start times (afternoon in Europe) make it kind of convenient. Thinking of heading to Montreal for the race this summer actually (closest race to me since they scrapped Indianapolis). A guy I play hockey with went to the Belgian GP last year.
    I've been to the Indy race, but haven't gone since. I'd rather go to Montreal than Austin, TX...Montreal isn't a bad drive from here at all. There's not much traffic once you get past the NJ/NY state line.

I used to hang out on the Ferrari Fchat forums, and a guy on there invited me to Monaco to watch the race from his yacht in the harbor! Sounded great, but I wasn't spending that much for a solo vacation - my wife would have killed me

Montreal for me is about 8 hour drive. I wish Detroit would get an F1 race again!

Montreal for me is about 8 hour drive. I wish Detroit would get an F1 race again!
    It's around 7 hours for me. I've driven up to Montreal and Niagara Falls a few times. It's an easy drive from here, compared to driving anywhere on I-95.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Here's a random question.

I am heading to NYC in a couple of weeks. I intend to spend some time in bookshops while I'm there. I'm already planning to go to Argosy to look at old books, but does anyone have any recommendations for good bookstores in Manhattan?

Quote Originally Posted by HumphreyBear View Post

I am heading to NYC in a couple of weeks. I intend to spend some time in bookshops while I'm there. I'm already planning to go to Argosy to look at old books, but does anyone have any recommendations for good bookstores in Manhattan?
    I went to NYC several months ago for the first time, and I made a point of going to The Strand and The Mysterious Bookshop, and both more than lived up to their reputations...highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by HumphreyBear View Post

If you're into SF, The Forbidden Planet, which is close to The Strand.

Here's a link with some of the best indie stores - https://www.timeout.com/newyork/shop...kstores-in-nyc

Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I’m considering joining. They have so many upcoming books that I want that taking advantage of the subscription might make sense. Aside from CD, Centipede is the other publisher whose offerings lineup with my personal tastes the most.
    Okay...I did it. I am now a Centipede Press Subscriber. I am looking forward to being very poor this year!