Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
    I write one for the trash bill because the stamp is cheaper than the service charge to use plastic.
    You need a credit union with free bill pay.

Comment

I think the last time I wrote a check would have been around 2004, maybe 2005. So it’s been awhile.

Did you used know that checks used to be transported across the country in passenger airlines? It’s how how checks moved between banks. With the advent of what was referred to as Check 21 back in 2002 I believe, electronic copies were substituted for the actual paper checks. It’s why most stores (that still accepted checks) would always have you write the check, and then hand it back to you (because they scanned it and now no longer need the paper version.)

Comment

I have to agree. That is what I have and it's been 15-20 years since I wrote a check. I also agree with bookworm1. I still don't have a cell phone. My mind is older than the rest of me. I am not a fan of Change. I have been called a curmuddgen for years.
        Mike CBG. I hAve Made Another Friend Through this forum and I hope it stays that way like it has with Brian..

Comment

I mostly use checks/cash. I don't and never will use a debt card. I will never pay with a phone. I do have a paypal account, you almost have to, to do online business. I avoid credit cards when I can. I've seen where some places, restaurants mostly, don't won't take cash anymore. I guess, I won't eat there. There seems to be a huge push towards electronic/digital currency. I don't trust it at all. All the people worried about the freedom to own a gun, how about the freedom of your own money?? That's the ultimate control. Big business working to get a strangle hold on our cash flow. It's hell on poor people trying to get reliable banking services. To put it in perspective, when I first went into the Army in 1976. We were paid in cash. Later it went to direct deposit. Imagine that, 250 guys lined up to get paid in cash LOL!! Pay Day truly was a great day!! LOL!! Happy Tuesday!!

Comment

Oh, and Cell phones, call them what they are, computerized tracking devices. I have one because my wife and daughter got a deal and got a 3rd phone free. I hate the regular phone, so not a huge fan of the cell phone. It has it's uses. I love having Spotify on it. You Know what's creepier than cell phones? The way they've computerized our cars. to quote one of my favorite shows "You don't want GPS, the man can track you like a dog. Like a dog!!"

Comment

I have a question about Lansdale: what books of his would be classified as YA? I thought I read that Fender Lizards was YA. But I can't seem to find a breakdown of his bibliography that designates any of his work as YA.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                I have a question about Lansdale: what books of his would be classified as YA? I thought I read that Fender Lizards was YA. But I can't seem to find a breakdown of his bibliography that designates any of his work as YA.
                His four YA novels include THE BOAR, SOMETHING LUMBER THIS WAY COMES, FENDER LIZARDS, and ALL THE EARTH, THROWN TO THE SKY. An argument could made made that MAGIC WAGON is a YA novel as well. In fact, an interview w/ Lansdale in one of the editions of ALL THE EARTH, THROW TO THE SKY has him saying as much: "The Magic Wagon has a young protagonist and could easily have been published as a Young Adult novel."

If I were to put them in my order of preference, I'd say:

1). THE MAGIC WAGON
                2). FENDER LIZARDS
                3). ALL THE EARTH, THROW TO THE SKY
                4). THE BOAR
                5). SOMETHING LUMBER THIS WAY COMES

EDIT: Oh, and of course there's MY DEAD DOG, BOBBY, which while ostensibly it looks like a YA work, it most certainly is not.

EDIT II: Here's what they look like (the HC 1sts, anyhow):

Last edited by RonClinton; 04-17-2018, 03:45 PM.
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                  His four YA novels include THE BOAR, SOMETHING LUMBER THIS WAY COMES, FENDER LIZARDS, and ALL THE EARTH, THROWN TO THE SKY. An argument could made made that MAGIC WAGON is a YA novel as well.

If I were to put them in my order of preference, I'd say:

1). THE MAGIC WAGON
                  2). FENDER LIZARDS
                  3). ALL THE EARTH, THROW TO THE SKY
                  4). THE BOAR
                  5). SOMETHING LUMBER THIS WAY COMES
                  Thanks for that! Wikipedia also notes that Edge of Dark Water "was listed as a Booklist Editors' Choice: Adult Books for Young Adults by the American Library Association"

Comment

Originally posted by saginawhorror View Post
                    I have never actually written a check. Used a few money orders through the years. I received my 50th inscribed to me book today. It was Land of Bones by Glenn Rolfe.
                    My daughter may have written a few checks. I know for a fact my son never has and I seriously doubt if he's ever used cash to tell ya the truth. That guy uses his debt card for a can of pop

50 inscribed books is really cool! I hope to obtain that some day via Hill

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                    You need a credit union with free bill pay.
                    Agreed!

Originally posted by Mike88 View Post
                    I have to agree. That is what I have and it's been 15-20 years since I wrote a check. I also agree with bookworm1. I still don't have a cell phone. My mind is older than the rest of me. I am not a fan of Change. I have been called a curmuddgen for years.
                    Mike CBG. I hAve Made Another Friend Through this forum and I hope it stays that way like it has with Brian..
                    Always, buddy!

Comment

The 50 inscribed books are just ones that have my name on them. 3 of them have my last name as well. I also have inscribed bookmarks and other swag. One of them by author WH Pugmire came with a full 4 page letter from him. If I could figure out how, I probably would have framed it. Have a few more just generally inscribed with no name.

Comment

Originally posted by saginawhorror View Post
                        Have a few more just generally inscribed with no name.
                        FWIW, an "inscribed" book means it's been personalized by the author to someone; if it's lacking a personalization of that sort, then it's just "signed."

To take it further, an "association copy" indicates a book that has been inscribed by the author to someone of some note (e.g. my association copy wherein William F. Nolan inscribed it to actor Steve McQueen). That said, an association copy does not have to be signed or inscribed, it can also simply denote ownership of the book by someone connected to the author...though usually it's used in reference to the former than the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                          Thanks for that! Wikipedia also notes that Edge of Dark Water "was listed as a Booklist Editors' Choice: Adult Books for Young Adults by the American Library Association"
                          Yes, I can see how that could be perceived as a YA novel, in the same way that I could see THE MAGIC WAGON as a YA novel. In fact, there is a great deal of similarity in tone (and even, to some degree, plot) between EDGE OF DARK WATER and ALL THE EARTH, THROWN TO THE SKY. I would say, though, that ALL THE EARTH is actually a bit better, more concise and focused.

Comment

While we're jawing about Lansdale, is Hell's Bounty a good read?

Comment

It wouldn’t be my first rec to someone new/newish to Lansdale, no...too much other good stuff one should read first.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                                FWIW, an "inscribed" book means it's been personalized by the author to someone; if it's lacking a personalization of that sort, then it's just "signed."

To take it further, an "association copy" indicates a book that has been inscribed by the author to someone of some note (e.g. my association copy wherein William F. Nolan inscribed it to actor Steve McQueen). That said, an association copy does not have to be signed or inscribed, it can also simply denote ownership of the book by someone connected to the author...though usually it's used in reference to the former than the latter.
                                I would refute that ever so slightly. I think inscribed and "inscribed to..." are two different sides to the same coin. Inscribing doesn't need to be personalized, per se, but it does have to include more than just a signature. A quote or short note, like "Happy reading!", would fall under inscribed in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X