No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping notice due to arrive Halloween. No clue what it is but I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
      Shipping notice due to arrive Halloween. No clue what it is but I love it!
      That's perfect timing! I hope it is something appropriate for the occasion.

Comment

Happy Halloween!
        sleepyhollowpaintclassprimwitchheathergleason2013.jpg

Comment

Happy Halloween, all!

Comment

It's it nice when you order a book and what shows up is a non traycased lettered edition. It was The CD edition of Four Octobers by Rick Hautala. I bought it from thriftbooks so I was half expecting a library copy. Very happy!

Comment

Originally posted by saginawhorror View Post
              It's it nice when you order a book and what shows up is a non traycased lettered edition. It was The CD edition of Four Octobers by Rick Hautala. I bought it from thriftbooks so I was half expecting a library copy. Very happy!
              SCORE!

Comment

That is very cool. I have had that book on my wish list for awhile now. Congrats!

Originally posted by saginawhorror View Post
                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Think I will be ditching directtv after being a customer for the last 6 years or so. Trying out youtube tv right now and it seems like a pretty nice set-up and easy to use. Tired of paying $100/month with DTV and missing local channels and outages during storms...I live in Florida and it's fairly frequent in the stormy months. The youtube thing is $50/month and looks to have a decent lineup of channels, DVR type options, and all my local channels which I cannot get with an OTA antenna.

Anyone else familiar with the youtube service? If so any pros or cons from your experience?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                    Think I will be ditching directtv after being a customer for the last 6 years or so. Trying out youtube tv right now and it seems like a pretty nice set-up and easy to use. Tired of paying $100/month with DTV and missing local channels and outages during storms...I live in Florida and it's fairly frequent in the stormy months. The youtube thing is $50/month and looks to have a decent lineup of channels, DVR type options, and all my local channels which I cannot get with an OTA antenna.

Anyone else familiar with the youtube service? If so any pros or cons from your experience?
                    I ditched Verizon a few weeks ago, and I'm saving $190 a month.

I went with Xfinity/Comcast internet at $40/month, YouTubeTV at $50 a month, added HBO to my Amazon Prime for $15 a month (wifey needed HBO), and I'm very happy with it.

YouTube has unlimited DVR (it costs them nothing - all it does really is flag a program so you can watch it any time), and you can have separate libraries for different family members.

I have one newer TV that already has Roku built in (a TCL TV), but my older TV has no connectivity, so I bought a Roku for that one, too. The Roku interface is nice. You can move your favorite channels/apps to the home screen and put them in any order you like. It makes it very easy to bounce from Amazon Prime to Netflix to YouTubeTV.

Here's a good article with a spreadsheet showing who has which channels - https://www.cnet.com/news/best-live-...-cord-cutters/

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

Well I called DTV and cancelled. Bad timing as they don't prorate anymore. Apparently they made this change early this year.

So far I don't miss them at all. YoutubeTV has the channels I watch and the ROKU has plenty of features if I want to utilize them. I will take my extra $600/year and probably just blow it on something...

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                        I will take my extra $600/year and probably just blow it on something...
                        Well, Ben, can I send you some pamphlets about a charity that recently formed to help close the happiness gap one Jeff at a time. It's called Books For Jeff and it really can make a difference. If we can change just one person's life (that person being Jeff) then we can make the whole world a better place somehow!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                          Well, Ben, can I send you some pamphlets about a charity that recently formed to help close the happiness gap one Jeff at a time. It's called Books For Jeff and it really can make a difference. If we can change just one person's life (that person being Jeff) then we can make the whole world a better place somehow!
                          I've heard that only 30% of books given to Books For Jeff actually make it to an actual Jeff! I think it's a scam.

Comment

This is why all my donations go straight to The Human Fund.

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                            I've heard that only 30% of books given to Books For Jeff actually make it to an actual Jeff! I think it's a scam.

Comment

I found a five volume Folio Society set The Story of the Middle Ages. I want to buy this slipcased set and I could get it for just over $50. I tell myself I can't buy it due to a lack of space and I have way too many books already. The angel dude is on one shoulder-Don't buy it! and the devil dude is on the other shoulder saying Buy it, buy it!! I listened to two audio lectures by Professor Thomas F Madden about the Middle ages and those lectures were awesome. I had looked for a long time until I realized that Professor Madden also covered this topic in his lectures. The lectures were The Modern Scholar: The Medieval World I: Kingdoms, Empires, and War and The Medieval World, Part II: Society, Economy, and Culture.

Cap
                              Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

You know that recessed spot on top of some bookcases? Well yesterday I was going to put a decorative piece up there and discovered not one but two boxes hiding up there.

Pretty cool to rediscover a few forgotten books! I suppose when I bought this place a few years ago they got put up there during the moving in process.

The books were a LE of "Dark Advent" by Brian Hodge and a deluxe slipcase copy of "Smoke and Mirrors". It was like an early Christmas to me.

On a side note I forgot how much I like that oversized Smoke and Mirrors. Cool book and a number of great signatures.

Comment

Working...
                                X