Page 184 of 184 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184
Results 3,661 to 3,680 of 3680

Thread: Random thoughts...

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    And see, I've always been told that Swan Song was the Bee's Knees.
    Most people seem to love it. I'd probably agree more with the three-star reviews on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...ews-filter-bar

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    I really like both Boys Life and Swan Song. I've read both multiple times over the years.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    Does anyone here know where I can get a dustjacket for the hardcover of Stephen King's Joyland? I only need a dustjacket. ~Cap

-So nobody can answer my question? ~Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    Does anyone here know where I can get a dustjacket for the hardcover of Stephen King's Joyland? I only need a dustjacket. ~Cap

-So nobody can answer my question? ~Cap
    I'd try the publisher.

I 2nd that. I couldn't see any for sale at the places I normally look.

Best of luck on your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    I'd try the publisher.

Junior Member Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I really like both Boys Life and Swan Song. I've read both multiple times over the years.
    I read both Boy's life and Swan Song and enjoyed them both although I found Boy's Life to be a little "busy". There is a lot going on in that story. If I can throw a little love towards Dan Simmons, I really enjoyed Summer of Night as well, maybe the most.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    I loved Swan Song for the first half. Then it fell apart badly for me. Whenever the time jump happened. I haven't tried reading any of his other stuff even though I know I bought a few e-books.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    FWIW, I love Boy's Life. I haven't read Swan Song yet. I actually have several McCammons I need catching up on...

I don't like the historical stuff that he writes but I would also recommend The Five.

Quote Originally Posted by khaos View Post
    I loved Swan Song for the first half. Then it fell apart badly for me. Whenever the time jump happened. I haven't tried reading any of his other stuff even though I know I bought a few e-books.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    I saw that David Wong had a new book coming out titled Zoey Punches the Future in the Dick. And so I immediately set about pre-ordering it only to discover that it's a sequel to the Wong book that I've been meaning to read but haven't read yet Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits. So I immediately set about ordering that one from Amazon in hardcover for just $13. I got it yesterday. It came in a bag. A f**king bag. And the top and bottom edges of the spine were pushed in a little and the dust jacket is wrinkled and bent at those same spots and I thought "That's what you get for buying from some random asshat on Amazon and not going to a store to actually select a fine copy yourself, asshat."

Anyway, I'm hoping someone does more limited editions of Wong's work. My John Dies at the End is lonely on the shelf. Sure, he's with a couple trade editions but they run with different cliques.

Senior Member Inmate Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I saw that David Wong had a new book coming out titled Zoey Punches the Future in the Dick. And so I immediately set about pre-ordering it only to discover that it's a sequel to the Wong book that I've been meaning to read but haven't read yet Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits. So I immediately set about ordering that one from Amazon in hardcover for just $13. I got it yesterday. It came in a bag. A f**king bag. And the top and bottom edges of the spine were pushed in a little and the dust jacket is wrinkled and bent at those same spots and I thought "That's what you get for buying from some random asshat on Amazon and not going to a store to actually select a fine copy yourself, asshat."

Anyway, I'm hoping someone does more limited editions of Wong's work. My John Dies at the End is lonely on the shelf. Sure, he's with a couple trade editions but they run with different cliques.

Two Wongs don't make a right.

I'll show myself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    Two Wongs don't make a right.

I'll show myself out.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    I still have my CD edition of John Dies at the End sitting unread. I need to move that up on the list.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    I still have my CD edition of John Dies at the End sitting unread. I need to move that up on the list.
    That is time you will never get back. (If you can't tell, I found this story a complete waste of time.)

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    That is time you will never get back. (If you can't tell, I found this story a complete waste of time.)
    Interesting. This has been on my reading list for awhile, because I really enjoyed the campy "b" movie they made.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Yeah, the JDATE trilogy isn't for everyone. It's outlandish, immature, and nonsensical (in parts). But I loved it. For me, it hit the sweet spot of horror, humor, and action. But I can totally see how David Wong's style can be polarizing. I take the whole bro-comedy aspect of the trilogy as a way of satirizing the pointlessness of it all--everything. Every institution, structure, and idea of humankind leads to pointless destruction so we might as well laugh as we enter the inferno. I love the protagonist-adjascent character John.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Interesting. This has been on my reading list for awhile, because I really enjoyed the campy "b" movie they made.
    If you liked the movie, you'll probably really enjoy the book. I saw the movie and I couldn't imagine how it made any sense to anyone who didn't read the book first. So for you, the book should fill in all the blanks that perhaps you didn't even know were there. Though for anyone who didn't like the movie, you'll probably hate the book--even though it explains what you've watched and therefore is a better experience, the tone is the same.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Yeah, the JDATE trilogy isn't for everyone. It's outlandish, immature, and nonsensical (in parts). But I loved it. For me, it hit the sweet spot of horror, humor, and action. But I can totally see how David Wong's style can be polarizing. I take the whole bro-comedy aspect of the trilogy as a way of satirizing the pointlessness of it all--everything. Every institution, structure, and idea of humankind leads to pointless destruction so we might as well laugh as we enter the inferno. I love the protagonist-adjascent character John.

If you liked the movie, you'll probably really enjoy the book. I saw the movie and I couldn't imagine how it made any sense to anyone who didn't read the book first. So for you, the book should fill in all the blanks that perhaps you didn't even know were there. Though for anyone who didn't like the movie, you'll probably hate the book--even though it explains what you've watched and therefore is a better experience, the tone is the same.
    I have never seen the movie or read the sequels. I have devoted more than enough of my life to these characters. I generally enjoy campy and silly humor. This one just did not work for me.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar

That's why I tend "collect" trade editions. I'd be too persnickety. I love trade HC and paperbacks, but those I carry in my car to read on lunch breaks and don't get too upset when they get a little weathered. Sorry to hear that your edition got all beat up. Bags for books should be banned.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Does anybody know if Sub Press sends out advance emails to previous rights holders for the series they publish? I just stumbled across Dead Astronauts by Vandermeer up for sale on their site and it is open only to rights holders. I did by The Complete Borne through them so I'm good to go, but I don't remember this being announced to rights holders or the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Does anybody know if Sub Press sends out advance emails to previous rights holders for the series they publish? I just stumbled across Dead Astronauts by Vandermeer up for sale on their site and it is open only to rights holders. I did by The Complete Borne through them so I'm good to go, but I don't remember this being announced to rights holders or the public.
    The email came through just this morning. So very fortuitous that you stumbled on it the same day! You should have gotten an email. Maybe check your spam folder. I also bought Complete Borne direct from them and I got my order in for Dead Astronauts as well.

And for anyone who wants a signed trade edition of DA, there is a local bookstore selling all kinds of VanderMeer books. Here are the details:

Thank you for your interest in ordering Jeff VanderMeer's newest novel, DEAD ASTRONAUTS ($27.00 + tax and ship). We cannot wait to share this incredibly unique new story with you!

To purchase a book personalized by Jeff VanderMeer, please call Midtown Reader at 850-425-2665 (M-Sat 10 am - 6 pm, Sunday 12-4 pm) and have the following information available:

1. Credit card information including your card number, expiration date, and CVV.
    2. How many books you would like included in your order. Additional signed VanderMeer titles are also available for order.
    3. The first and last name to whom you would like the book signed. If you would like a generically signed copy (author's signature only), that is also available.
    4. The shipping address for your order. The flat shipping rate for 1 copy of DEAD ASTRONAUTS is $3.27 nationwide.

Thank you so much for ordering DEAD ASTRONAUTS and for supporting local, independent bookstores. We look forward to hearing from you!

Tanya