• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Boy's Life worth a listen/read?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
      Only if you want to listen to/read the greatest book of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
        Only if you want to listen to/read the greatest book of all time.
        Well alrighty then lol.

Comment

Well alrighty then lol.
          I worship at the altar of McCammon so you won't get an unbiased opinion from me, but it is one of my favorite books of all time. I re-read it every few years and it never fails to instill a sense of wonder in me. I can't recommend it enough.

Comment

I worship at the altar of McCammon so you won't get an unbiased opinion from me, but it is one of my favorite books of all time. I re-read it every few years and it never fails to instill a sense of wonder in me. I can't recommend it enough.
            It's on sale at Audible so I'll add it to my TBLT pile.

Comment

I will be in the minority here but Boy's Life did not work for me. I had high expectations based on all the love it gets. The overall story fell flat for me. The Listener was a much more enjoyable book for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                I will be in the minority here but Boy's Life did not work for me. I had high expectations based on all the love it gets. The overall story fell flat for me. The Listener was a much more enjoyable book for me.
                I remembered that you had expressed your lack of enthusiasm for Boy's Life before, Martin. That's OK, every book doesn't work for every person. I loved The Listener as well, I thought it was brilliant. (And one of the pivotal characters from Boy's Life appears in The Listener.)

Comment

Note that King is endorsing a book that he hasn't even read yet. He just moved it "to the top of the pile".
                  GREAT point.

Comment

I remembered that you had expressed your lack of enthusiasm for Boy's Life before, Martin. That's OK, every book doesn't work for every person. I loved The Listener as well, I thought it was brilliant. (And one of the pivotal characters from Boy's Life appears in The Listener.)
                    I have blocked out Boy's Life well enough that I am not even sure what this link is.

Comment

Regarding King recommendations. I utilize the recommendations of Stephen King just as I do all others. They give me something to look into, most likely something I am not familiar with. If it looks like something I would enjoy I read it.

Comment

Frankly, I get lots of great tips/suggestion from all of you. One of the best thing about our Forum Community. I also read a lot of books about books, so those are also good sources of information.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          I have blocked out Boy's Life well enough that I am not even sure what this link is.
                          I didn't even know that there was a link . . .

Regarding Boy's Life - I remember reading it, and enjoyed it, but I didn't leave a lasting impression on me.

Comment

In a word....... YES!!! One of my Top 20 books I've ever read.

Comment

I also thought Boy's Life was a fantastic book. Definitely one I'll read again some day.

The only McCammon book I've never been crazy about is Swan Song. I've read it twice, and it just doesn't hold together for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                                I also thought Boy's Life was a fantastic book. Definitely one I'll read again some day.

The only McCammon book I've never been crazy about is Swan Song. I've read it twice, and it just doesn't hold together for me.
                                And see, I've always been told that Swan Song was the Bee's Knees.

Comment

Working...
                                X