Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    No, I didn’t pick up anything at either the CD nor the Dark Regions 50% sales.
    I was set on passing on the Max Booth book. But then the sale.

Comment

At Dark Regions, I purchased Ghost Heart by Weston Ochse and Yvonne Navarro. If you made a purchase that day you were entered for a chance to win a Suntup Misery Artist Gift Edition. Ghost Heart was very affordable. ~Cap
      Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      No, I didn’t pick up anything at either the CD nor the Dark Regions 50% sales.
      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
        At Dark Regions, I purchased Ghost Heart by Weston Ochse and Yvonne Navarro. If you made a purchase that day you were entered for a chance to win a Suntup Misery Artist Gift Edition. Ghost Heart was very affordable. ~Cap
        Yeah, I finally pulled the trigger on the slipcased Joshua Hoffine photography book at Dark Regions. At 50%off and with a free added bonus (no idea what that will be) I couldn't resist. I should probably buy a book on controlling impulse spending instead.

Comment

Originally posted by taost33 View Post
          Yeah, I finally pulled the trigger on the slipcased Joshua Hoffine photography book at Dark Regions. At 50%off and with a free added bonus (no idea what that will be) I couldn't resist. I should probably buy a book on controlling impulse spending instead.
          My Hoffine book should be here today. I don't recall reading anything about at bonus item though. Wonder if that was added later.

Comment

lol That book should probably be given to a lot of the posters here..... Cap
            Originally posted by taost33 View Post
            Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
              My Hoffine book should be here today. I don't recall reading anything about at bonus item though. Wonder if that was added later.
              It was a cyber Tuesday deal. I am a sucker for the surprise bonus thing even though it will probably be a bookmark.

Comment

So it was my birthday recently and my gift from my wife is something that I've been wanting for a while: a Region-Free 4K player. Though I'm not completely sold on 4K over Blu-ray, I figured I'd future-proof myself as my television and receiver are already 4K, as well. What I am SUPER EXCITED about is the Region-Free capacity which will allow me to play any DVDs and Blu-Rays no matter the region. There are so many movies out there that don't get North American releases at all, so this will help me track down those hard to find movies.

We went with the Sony X800M2 which is their second-best 4K player from the reviews I read. What I didn't expect was how freaking big it was going to be. It's about 2.5 times the size of my previous bluray player.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                  So it was my birthday recently and my gift from my wife is something that I've been wanting for a while: a Region-Free 4K player. Though I'm not completely sold on 4K over Blu-ray, I figured I'd future-proof myself as my television and receiver are already 4K, as well. What I am SUPER EXCITED about is the Region-Free capacity which will allow me to play any DVDs and Blu-Rays no matter the region. There are so many movies out there that don't get North American releases at all, so this will help me track down those hard to find movies.

We went with the Sony X800M2 which is their second-best 4K player from the reviews I read. What I didn't expect was how freaking big it was going to be. It's about 2.5 times the size of my previous bluray player.
                  Nice gift! Enjoy.

Comment

Congrats, Keith!

Comment

I haven’t gone the 4K route yet, but I did just buy an AppleTV 4K last weekend, mainly so I would have a built in app for Disney+ and not have to Airplay.

That region free Blu-ray looks great. But if you really want to open your library up to other movies and want a giant player, let me introduce you to the world of LaserDisc.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                        I haven’t gone the 4K route yet, but I did just buy an AppleTV 4K last weekend, mainly so I would have a built in app for Disney+ and not have to Airplay.

That region free Blu-ray looks great. But if you really want to open your library up to other movies and want a giant player, let me introduce you to the world of LaserDisc.
                        Oh man, I faintly remember laser discs! I remember both the players and discs being big. I wonder if there’s a laser disc aftermarket thriving somewhere. That’s one rabbit hole I don’t need to go down.

Comment

Oh man, I faintly remember laser discs! I remember both the players and discs being big. I wonder if there’s a laser disc aftermarket thriving somewhere. That’s one rabbit hole I don’t need to go down.
                          I'm not sure if there's a thriving aftermarket or not - it's possible. I know the players are getting to be fairly rare - tracking down a working player is getting more and more difficult. A few years ago, I lucked into a second player and a hundred or so discs (maybe more - I've never counted) for FREE.

Criterion had some AMAZING LaserDiscs that never made the transition to DVD (or Bluray.) The special features were top notch. Plus Disney had some pretty great deluxe sets. LaserDisc is pretty much the only format to see the non-tampered versions of Star Wars too. (There's a huge set called The Definitive Edition that has TONS of bonus features that have never made it to other formats.) Plus region coding was not a thing, so the ability to import all sorts of discs from Japan was pretty great too.

The discs were 12" - same size as records - but the players were pretty substantial in size - bigger than some receivers. You had to flip the disc after either 30 or 60 minutes (depending on encoding) and even if you had a player that played both sides, you still need to swap discs after an hour or two.

Comment

I got a UPS email saying I have a package coming from CD tomorrow. No idea what it is, though!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                              I got a UPS email saying I have a package coming from CD tomorrow. No idea what it is, though!
                              That's fun! It hasn't happened to me with CD. But Centipede, PS, and Earthling all send their packages MYSTERY EXPRESS and every day becomes a game show called DID IT OR DIDN'T IT?! where I am left to guess if I'll be doing an unboxing video or not.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                                That's fun! It hasn't happened to me with CD. But Centipede, PS, and Earthling all send their packages MYSTERY EXPRESS and every day becomes a game show called DID IT OR DIDN'T IT?! where I am left to guess if I'll be doing an unboxing video or not.
                                It's going to be a long day. UPS usually doesn't get here until after 5pm.

Keep it up with the unboxing videos - they're a lot of fun to watch

Comment

Working...
                                X