No announcement yet.

Patrick's Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck Palahniuk's twelfth novel, DAMNED, was released just last month. Here's my First edition, first printing. He included some extras in the form of postcards, hot pepper seeds, and even Atomic Fire Ball candies.

I like that Chuck P. always inscribes (not just flatsigns) and he always comes up with some stamps for each of his books (like that jack-o-lantern in this case) when he signs. The special postcards, seeds and candies were a total surprise bonus. Chuck P. is a very cool author who clearly has fun with his fans.

Looking forward to reading it.
    Last edited by Patrick; 11-15-2011, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Just for fun, here are some of Chuck's paperback books in Spanish. The inscribed U.S. counterparts of these are just upthread.

The covers of all three: EL CLUB DE LA LUCHA, DIARIO, y ASFIXIA

Signed EL CLUB DE LA LUCHA (FIGHT CLUB)

Signed DIARIO (DIARY) Interesting that the title page is in English when the rest of the book is not.

Signed ASFIXIA (CHOKE)

Last edited by Patrick; 11-15-2011, 08:55 AM.

Comment

A fairly recent anthology called STORIES, edited by Neil Gaiman and Al Sarrantonio, features tales by a varied list of authors, including Chuck Palahniuk and Joe Hill. Joe, Neil and Chuck are three of my favorite authors.

The 1st edition/1st printing, with dustjacket, is on the left. Alongside on the right is the Signed/Limited edition, issued without a dustjacket, published by Mysterious Press.

(The trade edition, under the dustjacket, does not feature the marbled boards of the Signed Limited edition.)

The title page of the trade edition features a Christmas tree. It wasn't until I noticed the ink marks on the opposing page that I realized the decorations were not originally colored as they are in my book.

But who colored in my book?

Why, none other than Chuck Palahniuk, of course!

To be continued...
        Last edited by Patrick; 11-15-2011, 08:50 AM.

Comment

As you saw above, the Signed/Limited edition of STORIES is a beautiful book with its blue marbled boards and leathered spine. Now let's take a peek inside...

The title page and the Table of Contents so you can peruse the list of authors featured therein:

The limitation page signed by both editors, Gaiman and Sarrantonio. This is #177 of only 250 numbered copies.

However this book was billed as being signed by all the authors. Usually those few signature pages would immediately follow the limitation page, with multiple authors signing each page. However my book didn't appear to have them. Alert the publisher, they made an error!

To be continued...
          Last edited by Patrick; 11-15-2011, 08:49 AM.

Comment

No, wait. This is something I've never seen. Each author signed his/her own signature page for STORIES and, here's the amazing part: Each sig page is located immediately preceding that author's story. So the signature pages are spread throughout the book. Take another look at the length of the table of contents. That's a lot of sig pages which means a lot of work on the part of the publisher: sorting, inserting and getting it all correct.

Here are just a few of the signature pages:

I am absolutely impressed by the production quality of this signed limited edition. The only negative is that it lacks the protective slipcase or traycase it so richly deserves.

To be continued...

Comment

Here is my custom after-market wood slipcase to hold my copy of the Signed Limited edition of STORIES pictured above.

This case was made by Dick Olson a.k.a. "Dolso."

The case has a felt liner that matches the book spine.

The color accents evoke the marble boards of the book. The rest of the design is formatted in accordance with the signature pages as shown above.

Last edited by Patrick; 11-15-2011, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I think I've now posted all of my books that are signed by Chuck Palahniuk.

To summarize, here they are all together:

Comment

Love all the Palanuiks, Patrick! Starting to think I ought to read more of his books. (Ch-ching!...oh, well...) Thanks for posting them!
                  "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Absolutely fantastic books Patrick, very well done indeed

Comment

Patrick: I love what you've posted here.
                      Just a gorgeous collection of books!
                      Congratulations.

sk

Comment

Wow, great inscriptions!

Comment

I love presonalized signings, Patrick--these are awesome! So Palanuik is a stamper...
                          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Thanks, Boone, Grant, Siep, and Tom!

Boone, collecting Palahniuk is cheap compared to collecting, say, Stephen King. Palahniuk has written far fewer books and there is very little in the way of pricey special editions (like S/L's, etc.). Of course, most every author seems inexpensive compared to King.

I really do love how Palahniuk puts some creativity into his inscriptions, especially with the added stamps (some are definitely custom made because they refer to characters) and paints. My understanding is that he is fun to go see when he is on tour as well.

Comment

Stunning Patrick.

May I ask where you get your Palahniuk's from?
                              http://www.armadillorecords.co.uk - I've finally updated it.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenelk View Post
                                Stunning Patrick.

May I ask where you get your Palahniuk's from?
                                Thank you!

Absolutely. I'll PM you shortly with info.

Comment

Working...
                                X