NaNoWriMo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NaNoWriMo

It's almost November and time again for National Novel Writing Month. Which according to NaNoWriMo organizers is: "National Novel Writing Month, also known as NaNoWriMo or simply NaNo, is a novel-writing challenge that takes place every November. Participants begin writing on November first with a goal of completing a 50,000-word novel from scratch by the end of the month." The website is www.nanowrimo.org

I've started this project for 2 out of the last 5 years but didn't get anywhere. Since the contest on this site, I've been writing a bit more, and this year I'm determined to get through the month. I may not hit the 50,000 word mark, but if I stay on 1 project all month I'll be very happy.

As their materials stated in previous years. The idea is not necessarily to have a completed, ready to publish novel at the end of the month, but more to get into the habit of writing everyday and practicing towards the goal of finishing what you start. No one will read what you write, so quality doesn't matter at all. The important thing is getting the word count.

I know that many of you don't need this, but for some of us newbies it could be a great training tool.
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

I've done Nano a couple of times, but never got very far. I guess I need to over analyze my work, taking my sweet time on it. I may give it a go this year as well, as I've got a couple "short" novel ideas that might go somewhere. I am pretty sure I won't hit the 50,000 word goal by the end of the month, but maybe I can use this as an opportunity to actually get these writings under way.
    "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Comment

I know that some people think Nano is a waste of time but I'm giving it a shot this year. My goal is to develope my daily writing habit. I imagine that when I'm done with the project I'll have a ton of editing to do. Should be fun anyhow.

MLD

Comment

The daily writing habit is my mail goal, too. That has been the biggest problem with my writing dream, actually doing the work every day. The project I've started is just a basic idea, so I'm not even sure if there's enough material for 50,000 words. But if I run out and still have words to go, I'll fudge it and start another or add some stories to the end.

Good luck w/ yours, MLD
        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I thought about trying, but decided against it. I have a handful of books i am working on at the same time, and it's working out for me in some weird way. I'd hate to break that rhythm. Good luck to all of those attempting this, though. You can do it!
          Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Working...
          X