Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Collector Questions

Hi all,

I got my first actual book in from Cemetery Dance today - The Five by Robert McCammon. It is my first signed novel. I'm pretty excited, as dorky as that sounds. I have a few other actual Cemetery Press books on order but they are all pre-order. Anyway, my question - how do you all protect these books? Do you use Broadart covers? I use them on my collectible graphic novel HC's and I really like them. You may say - well duh, you use 'em and you like 'em so what's the problem? Well, I've been looking at folks collections in the threads (wow) and I don't see many, if any book covers and I wasn't sure why. Is there a drawback to using them? The other thing is that the covers I have are way too big (like DC Absolute and Marvel Omnibus editions) for typical HC novel's and I will need to order some. Anything I need to be aware of, any collecting or protecting tips will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ron

I use no protection whatsoever.
    Think I'm an exception here.

sk

Comment

That is such a loaded statement, Siep!!! But keeping context in mind... I don't put plastic covers on my books either. The ones I have with plastic covers came that way.
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I'm also the same on both counts. My books are protection free unless that's how I recieved them

I also have 3 boys.
        http://www.armadillorecords.co.uk - I've finally updated it.

Comment

Same as everyone else so far, no protection unless I got it that way, and with at least one I removed the cover because it was not done well and would have caused a lot of creases to the DJ. Removed most of the paper backing on one cover because it blocked the art on the backside of the DJ. That one was for Clegg's The Abandoned
          WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
          Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenelk View Post
            I'm also the same on both counts. My books are protection free unless that's how I recieved them

I also have 3 boys.
            No protection, 3 boys. Talk about context!
            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I use broadart covers for most of the dustjackets, and if they are too big i trim them down to size

Comment

20 years ago I used to cover my "good" books in sticky transparent plastic. Luckily, I didn't do that to anything valuable!

These days I don't bother with anything extra. The books sit on the shelves and no-one else touches them, so there's no need for additional protection.

Comment

No protection here also (Even though, on my wedding day my mom told me to "remember my raincoat" [It was drizzly that day, but not that bad! But she's always saying funny things]). I like to keep everything just like I got it. The good books are rarely handled and dusted off every so often.
                  "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                    That is such a loaded statement, Siep!!! But keeping context in mind...
                    I was.....I was.....Don't forget, I'm just an innocent Dutchie...

sk

Comment

This thread delivers!

Comment

Anchovies! I want anchovies on mine!
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I admit, I wrapped it and it looks good ... no, really, I did and it does. Maybe I should post a picture?

I plan on pulling it out right before I get ready to read it. Should be safe enough, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Tito_Villa View Post
                            I use broadart covers for most of the dustjackets, and if they are too big i trim them down to size
                            I did this and it looks great Thanks!

Comment

Yeah i really do think that they look better and it does protect ones that are more valuable!

Comment

Working...
                              X