Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bluelines

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Greenelk's Avatar

Bluelines

Another general query. Is their a collectors market for bluelines, and where do people think they sit in the value chain of books?
    http://www.armadillorecords.co.uk - I've finally updated it.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication jhanic's Avatar
    I own a couple of Stephen King bluelines (It and Misery). I think that, because these are virtually unique, they are rather valuable. I don't know if there's a market out there or not, because they are so scarce. They are, however, a "different" kind of collectible that I'm sure doesn't appeal to most collectors.

John

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenelk View Post
    Is their a collectors market for bluelines
    Now, what are bluelines??

sk

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Greenelk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post
    Now, what are bluelines??

sk
    I believe that they're proofs made from the printing plates
    http://www.armadillorecords.co.uk - I've finally updated it.

Grant Wootton
    Hi Guys, found this description of bluelines out on the interwebby thingy

"Bluelines are proofs of the page negatives actual representations of each printed page of your book created by holding special light-sensitive paper up to the film. (Everything that will print turns blue, hence the term "bluelines.")"
    Last edited by Grant Wootton; 10-09-2011 at 12:54 AM.

Grant Wootton
    As to what they look like, I have only one in the collection, being CD's "Strange Highways" by DRK. I'm with John on these, in that they're rare, but due to the nature of the process, they're not much good for reading and need to be stored carefully as they're quite fragile.

Blueline # 1.JPG

Blueline # 2.jpg

Grant Wootton

Here are a couple pictures of mine:

It

Misery

John

Grant Wootton
    They're pretty cool John, particularly IT - must be massive in size given the way they're produced

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    I think I'll pass.....

sk

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    I guess I just don't understand the purpose of them in the first place. But then I'm slow...
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Grant Wootton
    Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post
    I think I'll pass.....

sk
    One's enough for me - they may be collectible, but they're also not that pleasing, aesthetically speaking, when sitting on the shelf

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Well, Mr. Woot's interwebby thingy is good for somethings. So now I know it's a negative used to check accuracy and position or sctaches and smudges before plates are made.

I assume htey are so rare because there's a different process that can be used or that these things just get thrown away...
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wootton View Post
    They're pretty cool John, particularly IT - must be massive in size given the way they're produced
    I think it is kind of neat. Unfortunately, the IT is missing four signatures. It's still about 2 1/2" thick. Both bluelines have the original markings from the various people who work at the printers and, of course, are not in "mint" condition, showing that they were the original working items.

And I agree, aesthetically, they're not attractive, but I've always liked the oddball things anyway.

John

Grant Wootton
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I think it is kind of neat. Unfortunately, the IT is missing four signatures. It's still about 2 1/2" thick. Both bluelines have the original markings from the various people who work at the printers and, of course, are not in "mint" condition, showing that they were the original working items.

And I agree, aesthetically, they're not attractive, but I've always liked the oddball things anyway.

John
    I concur on the oddball aspect - love 'em

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Hmm that's odd neither of those blue lines look quite like the blue lines I've seen. The ones that usually come through CD are all individual pages printed front and back, exactly like the book pages. These are sent to us prior to printing the book as one last final check to make sure nothing is wrong with the book. What you guys have looks a lot like what's called a "Folded and Gathered" which is essentially an unbound book, another level of what's basically the same thing as blue lines, with the exception that in most instances only either the blue lines are made or they make the Folded and Gathered. We don't do too many folded and gathered at CD, usually only if it's a really special / important book.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Grant Wootton
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Hmm that's odd neither of those blue lines look quite like the blue lines I've seen. The ones that usually come through CD are all individual pages printed front and back, exactly like the book pages. These are sent to us prior to printing the book as one last final check to make sure nothing is wrong with the book. What you guys have looks a lot like what's called a "Folded and Gathered" which is essentially an unbound book, another level of what's basically the same thing as blue lines, with the exception that in most instances only either the blue lines are made or they make the Folded and Gathered. We don't do too many folded and gathered at CD, usually only if it's a really special / important book.
    It's all Greek to me The one I have "Strange Highways" is from (via another collector) CD - so ... this makes it a really special / important thing that I (we, including John) have ???? Still maintain that, whilst not quite as ugly as sin, it's a close bloody relation

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wootton View Post
    It's all Greek to me The one I have "Strange Highways" is from (via another collector) CD - so ... this makes it a really special / important thing that I (we, including John) have ???? Still maintain that, whilst not quite as ugly as sin, it's a close bloody relation
    That one's old enough that it may be how the blue lines where done then (before my time). Also it most likely was printed via a different printer than we're using now, and each printer does things a bit differently.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Grant Wootton
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    That one's old enough that it may be how the blue lines where done then (before my time). Also it most likely was printed via a different printer than we're using now, and each printer does things a bit differently.
    Thanks Dan - we learn something new every day

When I first saw pictures of those King bluelines, I thought they were F&Gs, but after I received them, I realized they were not "just" F&Gs, but bluelines. As Dan said, each printer does things differently. These were done by R.R. Donnelley & Sons. I sent them an email but never received a response.

John
    Last edited by jhanic; 10-11-2011 at 04:56 PM.