Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    Dan and All,
    I’m probably something of an anomaly here because I’m way more into Fantasy than Horror, though my favorite is when they are blended together.
    You're not as much of an anomaly as you might think (whistles innocently)
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Also enjoy Douglas Niles and Richard A Knaak. There are still others whose name escape my mind at the moment
      WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
      Spoiler!

Comment

Oh, hell yes.

Steven Erikson
        George RR Martin
        Joe Abercrombie
        Glen Cook

There are more, but these are the ones I've read recently, in fact I've just finished book 10 of the Malazan series (The Crippled God) and ~phew~ that was a long haul over a sprawling epic, and it was worth every minute I spent on it.

Erikson's characters are simply amazing. And not just the classic heroes like Anomander Rake, Trull Sengar and Ganoes Paran. What about Tehol Beddict? Kruppe? The undead female sea captain Shurq Elalle? And the Adjunct? Wow.
        http://louis-eldest.livejournal.com/

Comment

Tolkien
          Feist
          Jordan
          R.A. Salvatore
          S.P. Somtow

Comment

3 "no"... REALLY?!

Comment

Absolutely and I am one of them. As a genre I find it difficult to stomach what gets called fantasy. Obviously the argument could be made that many of the horror stories I read could be called fantasy.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                Absolutely and I am one of them. As a genre I find it difficult to stomach what gets called fantasy. Obviously the argument could be made that many of the horror stories I read could be called fantasy.
                Right you are. China Mieville said in an interview that sci-fi, fantasy and horror are the same thing. Trying to separate them is fruitless. All three take irrational and illogical occurrences and situations and treat them rationally and logically. When you read his stuff, that idea makes a lot of sense.
                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                  Right you are. China Mieville said in an interview that sci-fi, fantasy and horror are the same thing. Trying to separate them is fruitless. All three take irrational and illogical occurrences and situations and treat them rationally and logically. When you read his stuff, that idea makes a lot of sense.
                  Another example is most of Ray Bradbury's work. He's most often called a science fiction author, but most of his stuff is more space fantasy. There's little science to his fiction. I'd say Farenheit 451 is science fiction, and Something Wicked this Way Comes (and some early stories) is straight horror, but most everything else is fantastic with space or horror trappings. And I think that's wonderful.
                  "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I must be the anomaly. I'm a big sci-fi and horror fan, and I enjoy a good story, but the "Fantasy" genre pretty much leaves me cold. And when I say sci-fi, I'm referring to the Golden Age--stories and novels written from the late '30s to about the mid-50s. Now when you go to the science fiction section of the bookstore, it is almost 80% fantasy I think. Dragons and swords and such. I'll pass.

However, as mentioned above, there are fantasitcal elements to much of what I do like. Huge fan of King's Dark Tower series, but much of that is because King writes so well and gives you such fleshed-out characters that the genre doesn't really matter.

Comment

Working...
                    X