Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halloween Movies...

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement peteOcha's Avatar

Halloween Movies...

So, I need some suggestions for Halloween. I need two movies, one that I can watch with my wife (so, not too gory or scary, something maybe along the lines of The Others or Dexter for example). And then one for myself (here, anything goes ) Preferably, something recent, but really can be anything.

What will you be watching on Halloween??

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    I'm gonna be doing a marathon of season one of The Waking Dead. Haven't een able to watch it yet, so it's slated for Halloween.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member Hearing Voices ozmosis7's Avatar
    Hmmm...that is a great idea for any sort of party Srboone. My kids aren't primed for much horror, so we might do the Green Mile and things at that level of scary. They really can't deal with much beyond that, although I think their mother is holding them back. If it were up to me we would be watching Hellraiser. Hmmm, Of course, maybe she is right, I am a bit twisted.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TerryE's Avatar
    There should always be a viewing of Carpenter's "Halloween". My wife and I caught a few minutes on AMC last night with the story notes. (BTW, if I was planning to watch, I'd definitely break out the DVD and not watch it cut up on TV)
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    I keep reminding my sister that I've got plenty fo horror films when Zach (he's five) is ready! SHe's been kinda wary of me since the 80's....
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Yes, very nice and all, but where's the suggestions?!?!

A Walking Dead marathon is nice, unfortunately I'm all caught up there, just saw the most recent episode yesterday.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    You've probably already seen it, but REC (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/) was a very good horrormovie. Maybe more for you than for your wife, though...

Well, Hellraiser
    Original Friday the 13th
    Omen
    Psycho
    Evil Dead 2
    Army of the Dead
    Original Halloween
    Texas Chainsaw Masacre
    Hmmm...

Oh, and Piranha (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0464154/) for a bit of utter nonsense and boobs!

And the Peanuts Halloween special is key.

All I noticed was "boobs"... I think we have ourselves a winner here!

On a more serious note, I haven't seen REC yet so that might be good for me.

Ken, good classics, unfortunately I've seen them all. I was however tempted to rewatch Halloween or one of the first Jason movies, but then i figured I should give something new a shot. The Peanuts Halloween special I have not seen yet, so there's one I'll add to my potential list. Thanks!

Ah, sorry. I don't follow a lot of the newer stuff. I tired The Ring because I heard it was extremely scary, but it was just okay for me. A good movie, but not super scary. Just really weird. If you like the Sci-Fi type horror thing, The Button wasn't bad. Hmmm....maybe the Grudge? I haven't watched it, but the commercial scared my kids. You could queue up the new show, American Horror Story. There are a few episodes of that out, and I've heard it is great. Maybe it would help to mention a few films I have DVR'd on my machine: The Haunting in Connecticut, Splice, The Unborn, Clive Barker's Books of Blood. I've also been keen on catching up and seeing Hostel, and a couple others I can't remember at the moment. Hope that helps some.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peteOcha View Post
    On a more serious note, I haven't seen REC yet so that might be good for me.
    No - don't bother.
    It's got a few boo-moments, lots of silly screaming, lots of shaky-camera shots and that's it.
    I was very disappointed as I expected so much more.

sk

I just looked through a list on IMDb of "recent underrated horror movies". Top on their list was "The Mist". Definite must see if you haven't already. "Descent" was the only other one listed that I've seen and can recommend.
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

The descent was very nice, I'd recommend that one as well. The mist was quite fun, but in all fairness, not a very good movie. A bit silly, definitely not scary.

I'd also recommend The Exorcist III. Overall not a brilliant movie, and the ending is a bit of a disappointment, but there's one scene in that movie - and those that have seen it know which one I'm talking about - that makes it all worth it.

The Mist was fantastic.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Legend of Sleepy Hollow. The Disney version, Bing Crosby, nice, fun and safe. Something with some horror and humor? The original Fright Night? With Roddy Mcdowall.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post
    I'd also recommend The Exorcist III. Overall not a brilliant movie, and the ending is a bit of a disappointment, but there's one scene in that movie - and those that have seen it know which one I'm talking about - that makes it all worth it.
    Yeah, that's one of the few times I've almost freaked out in a theater. I loved Exorcist III (aka the adaptation of "Legion"). George C. Scott does a great job of filling in for Lee J. Cobb. (As he also did in a remake of 12 Angry Men).

Ooh, and speaking of George C. Scott... Have you ever seen "The Changeling"? A great ghost story. Perfect for the family.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    Ooh, and speaking of George C. Scott... Have you ever seen "The Changeling"? A great ghost story. Perfect for the family.
    Yes, loved it. Nothing gory, but a nice, creepy ghost story!

sk

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Ken, I'll look into that show you mentioned as I'm always looking for a good series to watch! The Button sounds interesting, I've been playing lots of Dead Space 2 recently so sci fi horror is right up my alley. Try the Japanese version of The Ring, its a lot scarier!

TerryE, I didn't even know IMDB had a list like that, thanks! I'll look into Descent.

mhatchett (Mike?) Thats a good one! I've seen it of course, but I don't think the wife has.

Regarding the Exorcsit III, do I need to have seen II to get the plot? (was II the one where they found that church buried in Africa or someplace?)