Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am ashamed to say that I have not yet read......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am ashamed to say that I have not yet read......

Dracula by Bram Stoker
    Different Seasons by Stephen King
    The Foundation Trilogy by Asimov

So, what have you been meaning to read for a long time, but just haven't gotten to yet? You don't need to be "100%" ashamed, I will settle for mild embarrassment!!!

You, my friend, should be 200% ashamed of yourself for not having read these classics!

sk

Comment

Maybe I should be 300% ashamed because I NEVER plan to read Asimov again...I hate Asimov and I don't even remember what I tried to read I just remember I severely hated it.

Edit:
      Last edited by Ben Staad; 09-24-2011, 01:26 PM.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

The worst part is that I've owned copies of each for a llloooooonnnngggggg time.

Comment

As far as modern horror/suspense I guess what I most need to read is most of Peter Straub's work after "Floating Dragon".

Classics would be "War and Peace", "Crime and Punishment" and "The Turn of the Screw". I'm pretty caught up with most of the stuff that I really must read in my life. But I'm sure this thread is going to remind me of some that I need to add to my list.
          "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Books I'm ashamed of not having read:

War and Peace (you're not alone in having this on your TBR list, TerryE.)
            The Phantom of the Opera
            The Decameron
            For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Sun Also Rises
            Brave New World
            Rose Madder, Duma Key, Under the Dome, Just After Sunset
            More books by Laymon and Ketchum (cause the ones I have read were awesome and redefined the horror genre for me!)

I can't recall ever reading anything by Asimov or Simmons, but I'm not ashamed of that.
            "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I've always felt as if I should read more Dickens and Twain. I read one work by each because I was assigned the books (A Tale of Two Cities & A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, respectively) in high school. 10th grade in fact. And I was an English major in college. Shameful!!
              "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Comment

Dracula by Bram Stoker
                Frankenstein by Marry Shelly
                Ghost Story by Peter Straub
                Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger (have started this before but got distracted and never finished it)
                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by HorrorScribe View Post
                  And I was an English major in college. Shameful!!
                  So was I, that's where my shame come from! I have only read A Christmas Carol by Dickens, so I have any one book by Dickens on my TBR list--whichever one I feel like reading eventually. I've read enough of Mark Twain to know that I don't care for his writings...(Dr. Edwards hated that about me. Oh well...)
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I won't post mine... When I started thinking about what I haven't read yet, the shame became too hard to bear.

Add another English major to the list here.

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
                      I won't post mine... When I started thinking about what I haven't read yet, the shame became too hard to bear.
                      Oh come on, post away, Pete.
                      I never read Shakespeare (for instance) till last year...Couldn't get my degree without having him on my list...

sk

Comment

Pete.....we're waitng...

And no Shakespeare, Siep?!?!?!?!?! Never too late to start, tho. I had read about 10 of his plays before even discovering King in1981.

Of course, I could fill many pages with the dark fantasy/horror/suspense books I've never read (especially the one discussed here--some of the authors i've never heard of!)
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Edward Gibbon's THE DECLINE AND FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE.

Now that I was reminded, I just bought all six volumes on Kindle for under $10. Not bad! It will take a long time to get through them, but I've always wanted to read it.

I read many of the classics when I was a kid. My grandparents had a big old bookcase full of books going back generations, and there were books going back to the late 1600s. I'm sure some of the classics were first editions, which meant nothing to me then. Many of them were old enough that the 's' looked like an 'f', and it was cool to see names and dates of owners from the 1800s.

Comment

Ok, ok...

Here's one from the classics: ...wait for it....

"To Kill a Mocking Bird"

From the horror pool, nothing (YET) by the following:

Lovecraft
                            Bentley Little
                            Jack Ketchum (i really want to pick up "The Woman")

and probably several more, but those are the big names that first come to mind.

...Let he cast the first stone who is without fault. :P

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post

From the horror pool, nothing (YET) by the following:

Lovecraft
                              You really should tacke Lovecraft!
                              From cosmic horror to the Necronomicon, the Cthulhu mythos cycle - plus opne of King's biggest influences: simply the best.

sk

Comment

Working...
                              X