No announcement yet.

Your Holy Grail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't know we had a holy grail thread! I've been able to pick up a few in recent years, one of which is the Heavenly Monkey edition of Lovecraft's Shadow Over Innsmouth. I'm going to post a bunch of pics on my collection thread.

Comment

Question for you about this book - I’ll preface this by saying that I don't know a lot about Bradbury - since this edition would set us all back a few bucks, what edition would you recommend for someone who hasn’t read this before?

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      Congrats, Mike -- very nice. One of my favorite Bradbury books; you must be thrilled to have it on your shelf.

I think if I were to tie Bradbury and "Holy Grail" together in a sentence it would have to be -- now that I have the S/L Gauntlet editions of DARK CARNIVAL and SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES (among others) -- the massive THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES: THE COMPLETE EDITION that PS and Sub Press collaborated on, after picking up the dropped ball from the failed Hill House. At aftermarket prices around $800, though, it will very likely just continue to be a hoped-for Holy Grail. I have only myself to blame, though, as I had the opportunity to get it at list price when it was published, but as I recall it was around $450, and that just seemed at the time (and, frankly, still now) a heckuva lot of money for it. I'll probably just have to remain content with my 1st inscribed-to-me Avon HC and my signed Easton HC...but, boy, I'd sure like that COMPLETE EDITION on my shelf...

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
        since this edition would set us all back a few bucks, what edition would you recommend for someone who hasn’t read this before?
        Ron will steer you right. Just be aware revisions were implemented in 1997 for The Martian Chronicles, changing the list of stories included ("Way in the Middle of the Air" was removed for PC purposes and "The Fire Balloons” and “The Wilderness" added). SubPress includes them all, then sticks it in and breaks it off with the price tag.

I read this B&N copy, and added the missing story from an e-book:

Bradbury.jpg
        “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
        -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Thanks!

I saw that they also advanced some of the years (1999 to 2030?) which I don't think would bother me . . .

Comment

My grail would be one of the Roman Numeral copies of 'Salem's Lot by Centipede Press. I don't even know how much those go for, but I want one

Comment

TD, you'd probably be perfectly well served by any edition (other than the high-ticket Sub Press edition), so it all depends on your budget. Easton has a nice signed HC, but that's going to run you a couple hundred, maybe $150 on a good day...cheaper than the Sub Press edition, but still... If you're just after the words and not too worried about the completist/original form that Bugen mentions above, Avon came out a while back with a matching set of small'ish HCs and, as pictured, there is the B&N edition that gives you two more solid collections to boot. As far as I know, THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES has never gone of out of print, so, heck, I suspect you could still pick up a brand-new spanking pb for a few bucks. If you haven't read it, I would really encourage you to do so, whatever the edition...it's definitely a classic for a reason.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I love Bradbury. The thing I don't like about his work was his constant need to revise. Leave it alone. He tampered with Homecoming so many times for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                  My grail would be one of the Roman Numeral copies of 'Salem's Lot by Centipede Press. I don't even know how much those go for, but I want one
                  Whew, that's a wallet buster for sure LOL!!

Comment

Ron - thanks for the info about The Martian Chronicles. I wasn't sure if it was one of those books that kept having extra parts added to it every time a new edition came out.

There are a few editions on eBay that I have my eye on just for their appearance. One is a book of the month club replica of the first edition and then there's this slipcased version from Heritage Press that looks kind of cool.

I won't lie either - that Sub Press version looks killer . . . I think I might throw my copy of The Loney up for some ridiculous Buy it Now but Make Offer price . . .

Comment

The SubPress edition of Martian Chronicles had half?? of the book being stories not included in the original edition. So, the new copies you find today, I expect, are the original table of contents and not that of the Subpress edition.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                        The SubPress edition of Martian Chronicles had half?? of the book being stories not included in the original edition. So, the new copies you find today, I expect, are the original table of contents and not that of the Subpress edition.
                        That is certainly correct. If my earlier posts suggested otherwise, I apologize.
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I had been hoping at the time, they would release a gift edition with the extra Martian stories, but obviously, it never happened. Maybe the trade publisher felt that might eat into their profits.

Comment

Well, I lucked into a really nice purchase. It was a bit pricey, but way cheaper than I've seen it. I had to pay $50.00 shipping from Australia, only the second book I've ever purchased from Downunder. I honestly thought I would never own a copy of Centipede's edition of Masters of the Weird Tale: Karl Edward Wagner. Only 200 copies were printed back in 2011. It sold for 275.00. I paid a little more than double that. Considering what some Centipede titles are going for, I think that is a pretty good deal. I'll post it once it arrives. Needless to say, the brakes are on all additional acquisitions for the time being LOL!!
                            Last edited by mhatchett; 12-04-2021, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                              Well, I lucked into a really nice purchase. It was a bit pricey, but way cheaper than I've seen it. I had to pay $50.00 shipping from Australia, only the second book I've ever purchased from Downunder. I honestly thought I would never own a copy of Centipede's edition of Masters of the Weird Tale: Karl Edward Wagner. Only 200 copies were printed back in 2011. It sold for 275.00. I paid a little more than double that. Considering what some Centipede titles are going for, I think that is a pretty good deal. I'll post it once it arrives. Needless to say, that brakes are on all additional acquisitions for the time being LOL!!
                              That’s a very good price for that book! Congratulations!

I’ve pretty much decided to not collect any of the older MotWT titles that are included in the Library of Weird Fiction, which is a compromise due to budgetary constraints. I have the two volume KEW unsigned set (not part of LoWF but I’m sure was the trial run for the series) that Centipede put out that I’m happy with.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

That’s a very good price for that book! Congratulations!

I’ve pretty much decided to not collect any of the older MotWT titles that are included in the Library of Weird Fiction, which is a compromise due to budgetary constraints. I have the two volume KEW unsigned set (not part of LoWF but I’m sure was the trial run for the series) that Centipede put out that I’m happy with.
                                I agree with you Sock. This was the Exception. If I don't already have it, I'm not looking for it LOL!!

Comment

Working...
                                X