Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Your Holy Grail?

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Thanks Ron,I was really happy to get it. I have those Gauntlet editions and even the PS edition. I guess I'll get the Centipede edition when it comes out as well LOL!! That Martian Chronicles would be something to find though. October Country is another one of my favorites. So many books, so little time and even less money HAHAHA!!

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Picked up one of my Holy Grails. Ray Bradbury Something Wicked This Way comes, 1st Edition, 1962. It's not a perfect copy, it has spent it's life out in the world, not cuddled on some collectors shelf, but for a 56 year old book, it's in pretty damn good shape and I could afford it LOL! It was good price. The original price was $4.95!!
    Attachment 20408Attachment 20409Attachment 20410Attachment 20411
    Great addition, Congratulations!

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    eBay has one - a mere $685....

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Congrats, Mike -- very nice. One of my favorite Bradbury books; you must be thrilled to have it on your shelf.

I think if I were to tie Bradbury and "Holy Grail" together in a sentence it would have to be -- now that I have the S/L Gauntlet editions of DARK CARNIVAL and SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES (among others) -- the massive THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES: THE COMPLETE EDITION that PS and Sub Press collaborated on, after picking up the dropped ball from the failed Hill House. At aftermarket prices around $800, though, it will very likely just continue to be a hoped-for Holy Grail. I have only myself to blame, though, as I had the opportunity to get it at list price when it was published, but as I recall it was around $450, and that just seemed at the time (and, frankly, still now) a heckuva lot of money for it. I'll probably just have to remain content with my 1st inscribed-to-me Avon HC and my signed Easton HC...but, boy, I'd sure like that COMPLETE EDITION on my shelf...

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    eBay has one - a mere $685....
    A pittance. Perfectly suited for my solid gold, diamond-encrusted bookmark.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Lol! I think you might have stumbled upon a new market: book collector bling.

Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Lol! I think you might have stumbled upon a new market: book collector bling.
    When in between books, my golden bookmark rests on my desk beside my snifter of Henri IV Dudognon Heritage Cognac Grande brandy (Google it) and my box of Cuban cigars. Alas, the stacks of cash I have peppered throughout my office/library tend often to distract visitors from its golden beauty...can’t imagine why.
    Seriously though, with a few notable exceptions, $200 or $300 is about the top of my comfort meter, so that aforementioned Bradbury collection will never be mine unless someone’s misfortune becomes my luck. Also the reason I’ll never be one of those fanatical Stephen King collectors...the really nice pieces I do have were attained at list price or in trade.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Ron, I might have to try to block you on here now. A solid gold, diamond-encrusted bookmark is gaudy and pretentious. Now, if you had a platinum ruby- encrusted one like mine...well, that just SCREAMS class!!!

I think a simple warning is sufficient for both of you. My bookmarks are made of dead peoples hair... lol!!! Keep it real men HAHAHA!

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    A bunch of amateurs in this thread. I use one of my spare $100,000 Series 1934 Gold Certificates as a book mark.

I will say that my all-time Holy Grail of an available book is King's THE STAND, the S/L traycased edition of the later Uncut edition. 'Course, if I'm not going to spend $800'ish on the aforementioned Bradbury, I'm certainly not going to spend $2K to $2500 on the King book. Still, it's nice to dream. (EDIT: I do, however, have a very nice (Fine/Fine or NF/Fine) 1st HC of the original ‘70s edition of THE STAND in the special Collector's trayase, so that's something ).

I say "available book" because my all-time Holy Grail would be a copy one of the 250 signed (and numbered, I think / as I recall) 1st ed HCs of Cormac McCarthy's THE ROAD. He has never signed that book (save for a few UK 1st HCs that were released with a signed publisher's bookplate tipped in, but again, the book itself wasn't signed) and refuses to do so, choosing instead to do a set of 250 signed and numbered HCs for his son as a nest egg. The son is free to sell them whenever he chooses once he becomes of age (and he's got to be getting close...I think he was 11 or 12 when McCarthy wrote THE ROAD, which was inspired by his love for his son). God only knows when they'll become available and how much they'll be...given that McCarthy's sig is already an expensive one, add to that this is a Pulitzer Prize winning book that has no other signed copies available on the market...well, it'll be the most expensive book I ever will buy, and I do mean "will buy." No way I'm shaking off this mortal coil without owning one of those copies, if the opportunity presents itself.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 01-19-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    I didn't know we had a holy grail thread! I've been able to pick up a few in recent years, one of which is the Heavenly Monkey edition of Lovecraft's Shadow Over Innsmouth. I'm going to post a bunch of pics on my collection thread.

Question for you about this book - I’ll preface this by saying that I don't know a lot about Bradbury - since this edition would set us all back a few bucks, what edition would you recommend for someone who hasn’t read this before?

Congrats, Mike -- very nice. One of my favorite Bradbury books; you must be thrilled to have it on your shelf.

I think if I were to tie Bradbury and "Holy Grail" together in a sentence it would have to be -- now that I have the S/L Gauntlet editions of DARK CARNIVAL and SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES (among others) -- the massive THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES: THE COMPLETE EDITION that PS and Sub Press collaborated on, after picking up the dropped ball from the failed Hill House. At aftermarket prices around $800, though, it will very likely just continue to be a hoped-for Holy Grail. I have only myself to blame, though, as I had the opportunity to get it at list price when it was published, but as I recall it was around $450, and that just seemed at the time (and, frankly, still now) a heckuva lot of money for it. I'll probably just have to remain content with my 1st inscribed-to-me Avon HC and my signed Easton HC...but, boy, I'd sure like that COMPLETE EDITION on my shelf...

Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    since this edition would set us all back a few bucks, what edition would you recommend for someone who hasn’t read this before?
    Ron will steer you right. Just be aware revisions were implemented in 1997 for The Martian Chronicles, changing the list of stories included ("Way in the Middle of the Air" was removed for PC purposes and "The Fire Balloons” and “The Wilderness" added). SubPress includes them all, then sticks it in and breaks it off with the price tag.

I read this B&N copy, and added the missing story from an e-book:

Bradbury.jpg
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Thanks!

I saw that they also advanced some of the years (1999 to 2030?) which I don't think would bother me . . .

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    My grail would be one of the Roman Numeral copies of 'Salem's Lot by Centipede Press. I don't even know how much those go for, but I want one

TD, you'd probably be perfectly well served by any edition (other than the high-ticket Sub Press edition), so it all depends on your budget. Easton has a nice signed HC, but that's going to run you a couple hundred, maybe $150 on a good day...cheaper than the Sub Press edition, but still... If you're just after the words and not too worried about the completist/original form that Bugen mentions above, Avon came out a while back with a matching set of small'ish HCs and, as pictured, there is the B&N edition that gives you two more solid collections to boot. As far as I know, THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES has never gone of out of print, so, heck, I suspect you could still pick up a brand-new spanking pb for a few bucks. If you haven't read it, I would really encourage you to do so, whatever the edition...it's definitely a classic for a reason.

I love Bradbury. The thing I don't like about his work was his constant need to revise. Leave it alone. He tampered with Homecoming so many times for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    My grail would be one of the Roman Numeral copies of 'Salem's Lot by Centipede Press. I don't even know how much those go for, but I want one
    Whew, that's a wallet buster for sure LOL!!

Ron - thanks for the info about The Martian Chronicles. I wasn't sure if it was one of those books that kept having extra parts added to it every time a new edition came out.

There are a few editions on eBay that I have my eye on just for their appearance. One is a book of the month club replica of the first edition and then there's this slipcased version from Heritage Press that looks kind of cool.

I won't lie either - that Sub Press version looks killer . . . I think I might throw my copy of The Loney up for some ridiculous Buy it Now but Make Offer price . . .

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    The SubPress edition of Martian Chronicles had half?? of the book being stories not included in the original edition. So, the new copies you find today, I expect, are the original table of contents and not that of the Subpress edition.