• Show
Clear All

Love it! Love it! LOVE it!
    Congratulations!

sk

Comment

Thanks, all!

Comment

That's one of my grails. Congrats on the find.
        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Picked up one of my Holy Grails. Ray Bradbury Something Wicked This Way comes, 1st Edition, 1962. It's not a perfect copy, it has spent it's life out in the world, not cuddled on some collectors shelf, but for a 56 year old book, it's in pretty damn good shape and I could afford it LOL! It was good price. The original price was $4.95!!
          IMG_0819.jpgIMG_0820.jpgIMG_0821.jpgIMG_0822.jpg
          Last edited by mhatchett; 01-16-2018, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Congrats, Mike -- very nice. One of my favorite Bradbury books; you must be thrilled to have it on your shelf.

I think if I were to tie Bradbury and "Holy Grail" together in a sentence it would have to be -- now that I have the S/L Gauntlet editions of DARK CARNIVAL and SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES (among others) -- the massive THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES: THE COMPLETE EDITION that PS and Sub Press collaborated on, after picking up the dropped ball from the failed Hill House. At aftermarket prices around $800, though, it will very likely just continue to be a hoped-for Holy Grail. I have only myself to blame, though, as I had the opportunity to get it at list price when it was published, but as I recall it was around $450, and that just seemed at the time (and, frankly, still now) a heckuva lot of money for it. I'll probably just have to remain content with my 1st inscribed-to-me Avon HC and my signed Easton HC...but, boy, I'd sure like that COMPLETE EDITION on my shelf...
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Thanks Ron,I was really happy to get it. I have those Gauntlet editions and even the PS edition. I guess I'll get the Centipede edition when it comes out as well LOL!! That Martian Chronicles would be something to find though. October Country is another one of my favorites. So many books, so little time and even less money HAHAHA!!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                Picked up one of my Holy Grails. Ray Bradbury Something Wicked This Way comes, 1st Edition, 1962. It's not a perfect copy, it has spent it's life out in the world, not cuddled on some collectors shelf, but for a 56 year old book, it's in pretty damn good shape and I could afford it LOL! It was good price. The original price was $4.95!!
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]20408[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20409[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20410[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20411[/ATTACH]
                Great addition, Congratulations!

Comment

eBay has one - a mere $685....

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                  Congrats, Mike -- very nice. One of my favorite Bradbury books; you must be thrilled to have it on your shelf.

I think if I were to tie Bradbury and "Holy Grail" together in a sentence it would have to be -- now that I have the S/L Gauntlet editions of DARK CARNIVAL and SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES (among others) -- the massive THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES: THE COMPLETE EDITION that PS and Sub Press collaborated on, after picking up the dropped ball from the failed Hill House. At aftermarket prices around $800, though, it will very likely just continue to be a hoped-for Holy Grail. I have only myself to blame, though, as I had the opportunity to get it at list price when it was published, but as I recall it was around $450, and that just seemed at the time (and, frankly, still now) a heckuva lot of money for it. I'll probably just have to remain content with my 1st inscribed-to-me Avon HC and my signed Easton HC...but, boy, I'd sure like that COMPLETE EDITION on my shelf...

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                    eBay has one - a mere $685....
                    A pittance. Perfectly suited for my solid gold, diamond-encrusted bookmark.

Comment

Lol! I think you might have stumbled upon a new market: book collector bling.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                        Lol! I think you might have stumbled upon a new market: book collector bling.
                        When in between books, my golden bookmark rests on my desk beside my snifter of Henri IV Dudognon Heritage Cognac Grande brandy (Google it) and my box of Cuban cigars. Alas, the stacks of cash I have peppered throughout my office/library tend often to distract visitors from its golden beauty...can’t imagine why.
                        Seriously though, with a few notable exceptions, $200 or $300 is about the top of my comfort meter, so that aforementioned Bradbury collection will never be mine unless someone’s misfortune becomes my luck. Also the reason I’ll never be one of those fanatical Stephen King collectors...the really nice pieces I do have were attained at list price or in trade.

Comment

Ron, I might have to try to block you on here now. A solid gold, diamond-encrusted bookmark is gaudy and pretentious. Now, if you had a platinum ruby- encrusted one like mine...well, that just SCREAMS class!!!

Comment

I think a simple warning is sufficient for both of you. My bookmarks are made of dead peoples hair... lol!!! Keep it real men HAHAHA!

Comment

A bunch of amateurs in this thread. I use one of my spare $100,000 Series 1934 Gold Certificates as a book mark.

Comment

I will say that my all-time Holy Grail of an available book is King's THE STAND, the S/L traycased edition of the later Uncut edition. 'Course, if I'm not going to spend $800'ish on the aforementioned Bradbury, I'm certainly not going to spend $2K to $2500 on the King book. Still, it's nice to dream. (EDIT: I do, however, have a very nice (Fine/Fine or NF/Fine) 1st HC of the original ‘70s edition of THE STAND in the special Collector's trayase, so that's something ).

I say "available book" because my all-time Holy Grail would be a copy one of the 250 signed (and numbered, I think / as I recall) 1st ed HCs of Cormac McCarthy's THE ROAD. He has never signed that book (save for a few UK 1st HCs that were released with a signed publisher's bookplate tipped in, but again, the book itself wasn't signed) and refuses to do so, choosing instead to do a set of 250 signed and numbered HCs for his son as a nest egg. The son is free to sell them whenever he chooses once he becomes of age (and he's got to be getting close...I think he was 11 or 12 when McCarthy wrote THE ROAD, which was inspired by his love for his son). God only knows when they'll become available and how much they'll be...given that McCarthy's sig is already an expensive one, add to that this is a Pulitzer Prize winning book that has no other signed copies available on the market...well, it'll be the most expensive book I ever will buy, and I do mean "will buy." No way I'm shaking off this mortal coil without owning one of those copies, if the opportunity presents itself.
                                Last edited by RonClinton; 01-19-2018, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X