Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Low numbers - Do they really make a difference

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    I'm an old-book-smell kinda guy myself. Best smell in the world , except for...sorry, went into Roland LeBay mode there.

But new-book-smell is where it all starts! As for fondling the covers, I prefer the lubricated covers of CD that the un-lubed ones of say, Subterranean Press.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Grant Wootton
    Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    I'm an old-book-smell kinda guy myself. Best smell in the world , except for...sorry, went into Roland LeBay mode there.

But new-book-smell is where it all starts! As for fondling the covers, I prefer the lubricated covers of CD that the un-lubed ones of say, Subterranean Press.
    If Rollie weren't tooling around in Christine somewhere's he'd surely be rolling (no pun intended) over in his grave over that one

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement peteOcha's Avatar
    I don't really care when it comes to low numbers... I mean, it would be great to have a low numbered limited, but I won't go out of my way and spend more just to get one that's a lower number. Although I do see how it could add to the book's value if it was a single digit number.

Ooh, ooh that smell
    Can't you smell that smell?

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour goathunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peteOcha View Post
    Although I do see how it could add to the book's value if it was a single digit number.
    How? Since books are typically numbered after the author has signed the sheets, there's not even a guarantee that copy #1 was the first one signed by the author. And since they're all from the same print run, the books should be physically identical.

Yet I've read about people "upgrading" their limited editions by buying a lower number. That never made any sense to me. I can somewhat understand wanting matching numbers of books in a series, but the number itself is so irrelevant, I can't see what difference it makes. But I know it does to some people. Hence my "How?" Do we just all automatically assume a lower number has a higher value?

I'm not really expecting an answer, because there is only one answer: some people believe a lower number is more valuable, so they are willing to pay more to get it, thereby proving that a lower number is more valuable. And why do they believe it? Probably because it psychologically suggests that they're a bigger---or more important---fan/buyer/reader, because they have the low number, which means they bought it first or earlier.....

Hunter

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    I think it's usually more desirable, but I don't think I'd pay that much more for it. But given the choice, of a #5 and a #740, I might pay $5-10 more or so if there was just a small price bump. If they were the same price I would definitely buy #5 over #740. And strangely, I never see #1s or #2s for sale, but then again I usually don't see the last number for sale either #750, so maybe it works at both ends of the spectrum and all that's left are the middle numbers!
    I always find it strange, though, when you buy a book and it's missing a letter or a number and there's just a blank space. I assume these are mostly PC copies, but you never know!

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    I think it's more of a personal preference thing as well as a common misconception among novice collectors. The lower number isn't technically more valuable, but there are typically more people wanting lower numbers so they are willing to pay more for a lower number. That and a lot of novice collectors are under the impression that the lower the number to more valuable to book is. If enough people think this way and are willing to pay more for a lower number, that makes the lower numbers worth more, even if they are physically identical to the higher numbers.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Greenelk's Avatar
    When I joined the collectors club for the Mansion House/Hard Gore books I ended up with 68 as 69 was gone. The only reason this meant something to me is because I'm a pervert.

That's quite a sad admission actually.

And possibly tongue in cheek. Though I did ask for number 69.
    http://www.armadillorecords.co.uk - I've finally updated it.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenelk View Post
    And possibly tongue in cheek.
    I hope no one asks which cheek...

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Party-Pooper!

HA!!!
    "I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    Quote Originally Posted by ClydeUmney View Post
    And strangely, I never see #1s or #2s for sale
    I actually did see a #1 for sale a few months ago of a hard to find CD book that they were asking a large amount for compared to other numbers I'd seen for sale. Think it was Operator "B", but not completely sure. Other than that book, I don't think I've seen a #1 for sale before.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Low numbers only matter to people who are selling books with low numbers......

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    Low numbers only matter to people who are selling books with low numbers......
    And of course to those people looking to buy low numbers
    Last edited by Tommy; 02-23-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    I prefer numbered books, even though I do not care what number I get, because I feel more comfortable that the book publisher stuck to the number that way. If a book says 1 of 999 it would be harder to confirm an extra out there then if it is numbered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    And of course to those people looking to buy low numbers, otherwise what is the point of numbering the books in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I prefer numbered books, even though I do not care what number I get, because I feel more comfortable that the book publisher stuck to the number that way. If a book says 1 of 999 it would be harder to confirm an extra out there then if it is numbered.
    I feel similarly, prefer numbered editions but don't really care which number, the collectors' market however does tend to put higher values on lower numbered books but I guess I am not telling you guys anything you don't already know
    Last edited by Tommy; 02-23-2013 at 03:09 PM.

But, of course, I someone felt they needed to pay more for a #1 that I was selling, I'd let (and probably encourage) them!
    "I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Me to.Only if I am the seller.
    But, of course, I someone felt they needed to pay more for a #1 that I was selling, I'd let (and probably encourage) them!

and on the flip-side of that, as a buyer I love numbered editions because I can pay less, sometimes a lot less, for a higher number and get the exact same book far cheaper than the lower numbered ones
    Last edited by Tommy; 02-23-2013 at 05:24 AM.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    The lowest I have is a #8.

What's everyone's opinions of PC editions? It's the same book as a numbered edition...