Low numbers - Do they really make a difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low numbers - Do they really make a difference

I've been collecting books for many years now, but I've never had any of them valued, or really looked into that (wouldn't know where to begin for a start), and I've never sold any.

I know I've got a copy of rare items, such as the review copy of Micheal Marshall Smith's Only Forward, which I belive there are very few of, and a few other books that seem to sell for silly money these days.

However, I was wondering if having a low number of a limited does in people's opinions make a difference to value? I've got a number 1 of the PS Publishing version of Colorado Kid (Slipcased JK Potter edition) but I'm not sure why that would make it worth more than number 150 of 150?

Is it an individual taste thing, or am I just spouting rubbish?

Thoughts on this one appreciated.

G
    http://www.armadillorecords.co.uk - I've finally updated it.

Originally posted by Greenelk View Post
    I've been collecting books for many years now, but I've never had any of them valued, or really looked into that (wouldn't know where to begin for a start), and I've never sold any.

I know I've got a copy of rare items, such as the review copy of Micheal Marshall Smith's Only Forward, which I belive there are very few of, and a few other books that seem to sell for silly money these days.

However, I was wondering if having a low number of a limited does in people's opinions make a difference to value? I've got a number 1 of the PS Publishing version of Colorado Kid (Slipcased JK Potter edition) but I'm not sure why that would make it worth more than number 150 of 150?

Is it an individual taste thing, or am I just spouting rubbish?

Thoughts on this one appreciated.

G
    To me I'm not sure if it would bump up the value much but it would certainly make it more interesting to a collector. I guess what I'm getting at is that I think you could sell it for slightly more (maybe 3-5% more) and it wouldn't sit around long. Since I'm not a big wheeler and dealer it would be interesting to get someone else's opinion.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

For me, the lower the number on a Limited (or the alpha on a Lettered) the greater the intrinsic value it has to me, as a collector/reader. I love to collect, so, when I'm scouting for a particular item to add to my library, I place a personal premium of lower numbers/alphas, and would likely pay more for an # 12 than I would for a # 740, or a Letter B as opposed to an "FF" (or whatever). To use Greenelk's example, I have a Chadbourne slipcased Colorado Kid, and whilst it is exactly the same (quality and production wise) as # 1, or # 10, etc, to me Greenelk's copy has considerably more intrinsic value than the copy that I actually possess, which is a File Copy (same as a Publishers Copy I guess). How much more is it worth, to me? Difficult to say, but if I saw an identical item for sale, with copy # 740 for $200 and Copy # 12 for $250, I'd more likely lean towards take the # 12 at the extra $50. If the #12 was $500, then reason would have to prevail (well, hopefully and I'd go with the # 740. BTW Greenelk, if you want to get a ballpark figure for what some of your treasures are worth, I've found Abebooks to be a reasonably good barometer.
      Last edited by Grant Wootton; 09-19-2011, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Low numbers seem to make a difference for some, while they leave others cold, like me. I certainly would not pay more for a low numbered edition.
        I usually go by eBay if I want to have my books valued. I follow the sales of a particular title for a number of months. This gives me a pretty good idea of what it's worth. Or, maybe I should say, what people are willing to spend.

sk

Comment

I don't care at all. If it's a limited edition of 750 copies, then 1/750 is worth the same as 750/750 to me.

I've never actually sold a book, so I don't know how much it would matter to potential buyers.

Comment

I feel the same way. It's kind of neat to have a low number, but, to me, it's no different that a higher number in value.

John

Comment

It's the smell. Number 1 has to smell better than number 750 . . . the person adding the numbers starts getting hand cramps and slop sweat after number 500 . . .

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Keep Smiling, Jan
              Not enough books . . . . . just too little time.

Comment

If I have the option of buying identical books with different numbers for around the same price then I will usually go with the lower number. I won't pay extra just to get a low number though typically. I do like lower numbers though because of their added value to some collectors, but am not willing to pay a premium for low numbers. My lowest number for numbered items so far is #9 for the LE of CD #61 (and #62 when I get that one, as well as future issues). Lowest # for books are in the 30's
                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by JDar. View Post
                  It's the smell. Number 1 has to smell better than number 750 . . . the person adding the numbers starts getting hand cramps and slop sweat after number 500 . . .

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Keep Smiling, Jan
                  Awesome response Jan, although it has made me look at my higher numbered limited with a new eye - and, no, I haven't attempted a sniff test to determine whether your therory holds water

Comment

Well, there might be something to that. I use the sniff test for movies all the time (you can smell a truly bad one even before you enter the theater!).
                    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

This could also explain why CD rarely provides individual numbers for books with over 750 copies.

Jan
                      Last edited by JDar.; 09-21-2011, 08:59 AM.

Comment

This could also explain why CD rarely provides individual numbers for books with over 750 copies.

Jan
                        That and after numbering several thousand copies of certain books, we realized just how insanely much work numbering 3,000 books is.
                        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                          That and after numbering several thousand copies of certain books, we realized just how insanely much work numbering 3,000 books is.
                          I would expect it to be high on the "Most Boring Jobs" list.

What I get a kick out of is when someone gets a #182 and the books were limited to only 175 copies.

Comment

I would expect it to be high on the "Most Boring Jobs" list.

What I get a kick out of is when someone gets a #182 and the books were limited to only 175 copies.
                            I hope you're not refering to one of our books... I can't remember the last time we did a numbered run that low.
                            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                              I hope you're not refering to one of our books... I can't remember the last time we did a numbered run that low.
                              Definitely not CD . . . and thankfully you don't hear about it happening too often.

btw - to bring this full circle, CD books always smell GREAT.
                              Last edited by JDar.; 09-21-2011, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X