Low numbers - Do they really make a difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JDar. View Post
    Oh no! I can't be the only one who appreciates the "new book" smell while fondling the covers of a newly published gem.
    I just saw this thread for the first time and thought this tangent was rather humorous. I love the smell of leather and when someone hands me a leatherbound book, the first thing I do, without thinking about it, is to smell it. I always get strange looks from the people who see me but I love the smell. Old books as well, nothing smells like it.

Comment

Originally posted by jhanic View Post
      I avoid PC editions, mainly for the same reason as divemaster. I like the uniqueness of the numbered copy.

John
      what if PC copies were numbered PC1, PC2... or lettered PCA, PCB...etc?

Comment

I like having a low number if I can get it, but I wouldn't actively search one out. I also don't put a higher value on a low number vs a high number. Like John and divemaster I would rather have a numbered version versus a PC copy, even though there may be less PC's of a given book.

Comment

I hardly have enough money to by signed copies, so i can't be too picky about what number it is that I get. That said if it's a larger print run #666 would always be the coveted one for me. Other than that the first and last printed copy would be slightly me more valued to me, but not enough that I would pay any substantial amount more for them.

Comment

What happens when you buy a book that is supposed to be one of a set number, and they forgot to put any number in the blank?
            "What shall I say when my lord comes a calling? What shall I say when he knocks on my door? What shall I say when his feet enter softly? Leaving the marks of his grave on my floor."

Comment

You can give yourself a #1 !

Or I suppose you can contact them and determine which nuber you were supposed to get.
              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

It's a Joe Hill book so I'm hoping maybe someday I will get to go to one of his signings and I will take this book and maybe have him doodle something fun in the blank.
                "What shall I say when my lord comes a calling? What shall I say when he knocks on my door? What shall I say when his feet enter softly? Leaving the marks of his grave on my floor."

Comment

Originally posted by Hedda Gabler View Post
                  It's a Joe Hill book so I'm hoping maybe someday I will get to go to one of his signings and I will take this book and maybe have him doodle something fun in the blank.
                  Good call! Are you sure it was meant to be numbered and not just a second printing or something?

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
                    I just saw this thread for the first time and thought this tangent was rather humorous. I love the smell of leather and when someone hands me a leatherbound book, the first thing I do, without thinking about it, is to smell it. I always get strange looks from the people who see me but I love the smell. Old books as well, nothing smells like it.
                    Gotta agree about the smell. I don't actively go around smelling books, but I love the smell of used bookstores. I got an old paperback of Rosemary's Baby from Half Price Books that was in a plastic bag, and opening the bag greeted me with a strong old used book smell, and I loved the smell I found.
                    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                    Spoiler!

Comment

Those Easton Press books know how to doll themselves up for your olafactory pleasure!

041011_bookssmell.jpg

"I love the smell of book ink in the morning."--Umberto Eco.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Im-very-important-I-have-many-leather-bound-books-and-my-apartment-smells-of-rich-mahogany.jpg
                        Last edited by srboone; 04-09-2013, 02:07 AM.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I can't see the attachment.

John

Comment

That might be for the better.
                            Originally posted by jhanic View Post
                            I can't see the attachment.

John

Comment

Fixed. Hopefully.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                                Fixed. Hopefully.
                                That's awesome

Comment

Working...
                                X