Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite authors that you've been able to meet at a signing or have yet to.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah i still need to post pics of my Joe Hill collection but to do that i need to borrow my girlfriends camera!

Comment

How many thousands of pounds spent on books and remarques and specialty slipcases? You can't spare a hundred for a camera?
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
        How many thousands of pounds spent on books and remarques and specialty slipcases? You can't spare a hundred for a camera?
        Haha well in my defence my phone was my camera and i could easily upload them to my labtop until it died, now i can't find the cd for the phone software to install on my girlfriends labtop

Comment

Just a friendly jab in the ribs across the pond. My PC died 2 weeks ago and I was without a computer for 4 days. Lots of reading time!
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
            Just a friendly jab in the ribs across the pond. My PC died 2 weeks ago and I was without a computer for 4 days. Lots of reading time!
            Oh i know and i might put one or two of my old pics up later!

Comment

I need to catch one of Joe's signings. Got to see Owen & Tabby at the 3 Kings event a few years ago, but didn't have anything for them to sign.
              "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

So far I've only met two authors, Jack Ketchum and Barry Eisler. Both were great to meet, they weren't just quick signings. In both instances I was able to stand there and talk with them, ask questions etc.

Comment

I have only attended three author events:
                  1. Stephen King reading from Lisey's Story and taking questions. The question period brought a new level of respect for Mr. King's mind. When asked a question he would begin to answer it then go off on a story that he could relate to the question and after
                  several minutes he would come full circle and directly answer the question. By then I had forgotten that a question had been asked to start the story.
                  2. Peter Straub reading from Mr. X. This one was interesting to me because I had a chance to have a conversation with Mr. Straub. The event was at Powell's and I arrived early because I did not know what to expect. I owned five Straub books and brought them all plus bought Mr. X. I asked the clerk how many he would be signing, his response was that each author was different and I should bring in everything I had just in case. I brought them all and sat them under my chair right in front of the podium and began reading Mr. X. While I was reading Mr. Straub came in and sat next to me. It was still early and I think I was the only person who realized who he was. I asked questions about a few of his stories and about the book tour, he was on the next to last stop and said that he took a nap when he got to his hotel room and had to call someone to find out what city he was in when he awoke. After his reading I was the first to get signatures since I was directly in front of him, I mentioned that I did not know what he was willing to sign so I brought everything and showed him a stack of books. He replied that since I had purchased the new book he would be happy to sign everything I had. He even commented on the pristine condition of my first edition of Ghost Story. He was a very pleasant person to speak to.
                  3. Joe Hill reading from Horn's. He was a genuinely funny man and had the crowd laughing much of the time. I also got to ask a question which got me a set of Horn's. He asked people with over three items to sign to wait until people with three or less got their items signed, I thought this was a good way to deal with this. He also signed my Horn's!

Comment

*Stephen King (BAG OF BONES tour)
                    *Clive Barker
                    *Robert McCammon (BOY'S LIFE tour)
                    *F. Paul Wilson
                    *Tim Lebbon (HC)
                    *Jack Ketchum (HC)
                    *Norman Partridge (HC)
                    *Joe Lansdale
                    *Simon Clark (HC)
                    *Peter Straub
                    *Donald Westlake
                    *Joe Hill (HORNS tour)
                    *Edward Lee (w/ John Pelan)
                    *Dan Simmons

There are more, of course, but those are the "big names" that I've met @ signings that leap immediately to mind.

HC: HorrorCon2001
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                      *Robert McCammon (BOY'S LIFE tour)
                      Robert McCammon and Stephen R Donaldson are the only two authors left on by book signing bucket list!!

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                        Robert McCammon and Stephen R Donaldson are the only two authors left on by book signing bucket list!!
                        From what I recall (and from what I've seen and read since), he was and is an awfully nice guy w/ real southern charm.

Probably my top bucket list author would be Ray Bradbury. I've never had the pleasure to meet him in person, and would love to. Oh, and Richard Matheson and Ed Gorman. Bentley Little. There are a lot of deceased authors I would have loved to have met in person -- Robert Bloch (exchanged one letter), Richard Laymon (talked to him on the phone once) and Hugh Cave (exchanged many letters), for example -- but that's all moot now.

Thought of another "big name" author I've met @ a signing: David Morrell.
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Anyone else UK based off to the 2011 Fantasy Convention in Brighton this weekend? I'm really looking forward to going and seeing loads of authors!

Comment

Wish I could join you, Tom!
                            Have a great time; do let us know how things went!

sk

Comment

Originally posted by Tito_Villa View Post
                              Anyone else UK based off to the 2011 Fantasy Convention in Brighton this weekend? I'm really looking forward to going and seeing loads of authors!
                              Sadly no, day job and weekend job of kids football coach has stopped me going. A very good looking convention. I'm sure you'll have a great time! (Yes, I'm jealous)
                              http://www.armadillorecords.co.uk - I've finally updated it.

Comment

Working...
                              X