Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite authors that you've been able to meet at a signing or have yet to.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite authors that you've been able to meet at a signing or have yet to.....

Ok, I don't think there's a thread for this already, but here goes either wway...

Which of your favorite authors have you been able to meet in person so far and who's left on your bucket list of author signings to attend?

My favoriate that I have met so far have been:

Ray Bradbury
    Stephen King
    Peter Straub (X2)
    Dan Simmons
    Robert Jordan (X3)
    Tad Williams
    George R. R. Martin (X2)(Before his uber-success post HBO)
    Anne Rice (back when I still read her)
    Clive Barker
    Robin Hobb

My bucket list includes:

Robert McCammon
    Stephen R Donaldson

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    Robert Jordan (X3)
    I hate you for this Brad..... just kidding.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Dan, I asked him to signed his true full name on a few and he signed some loan lng string of names like Robert of James Oliver Rigney Jordan. I'm pretty sure its the longest signature I have!! Oh and my signed copy of Eye of thr World is a first/first!

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
        Dan, I asked him to signed his true full name on a few and he signed some loan lng string of names like Robert of James Oliver Rigney Jordan. I'm pretty sure its the longest signature I have!! Oh and my signed copy of Eye of thr World is a first/first!
        I'm going off to hire some ninja assassins..... I'll be back later.
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
          I'm going off to hire some ninja assassins..... I'll be back later.
          Make sure you tell them to pick up the books signed by "Terrance Dean Brooks"!!

Comment

Stephen King (x2)
            Neil Gaiman (x2)
            and I met/worked with Tom Monteleone, F. Paul Wilson, Douglas Winter, Elizabeth Massie and David Morell at a Borderlands Press Boot Camp several years ago.
            and in a different genre, when I was I kid I had Brooks Robinson sign his autobiography "Third Base is My Home".

And just a couple weeks ago I had Bernie Wrightson add his signatures to King's in "Creepshow" and "Cycle of the Werewolf" and had Charles Vess add to Neil's on their collaboration "Stardust".

I think the ultimate on my bucket list would be Ray Bradbury. I'd love to meet William Peter Blatty and Clive Barker, too.
            "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
              I think the ultimate on my bucket list would be Ray Bradbury. I'd love to meet William Peter Blatty and Clive Barker, too.
              Meeting Bradbury was equal to a Wayne's World "We're not worthy" moment.

One of the times I met Barker was at a museum in Chicago which was feature about 6 or so piece of Abarat art. Very cool to see them "live"!

Comment

Man, this thread almost convinces me to move back to the American continent. Most authors don't bother visiting my part of the globe..
                I did shake hands with Clive Barker, though, in London, and Raymond Feist took the trouble to travel to Rotterdam for a lecture.
                That's it, I'm afraid.

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                  Man, this thread almost convinces me to move back to the American continent. Most authors don't bother visiting my part of the globe..
                  I did shake hands with Clive Barker, though, in London, and Raymond Feist took the trouble to travel to Rotterdam for a lecture.
                  That's it, I'm afraid.

sk
                  I wouldn't worry about it frik...I live in the states and haven't meet anyone besides Victor Gischler. For whatever reason no one seems to come anywhere near my part of the country.
                  Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post
                    I wouldn't worry about it frik...I live in the states and haven't meet anyone besides Victor Gischler. For whatever reason no one seems to come anywhere near my part of the country.
                    You're in Florida. Over the past couple years, it's been the best place to see King. Or are you far away from Sarasota.
                    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                      You're in Florida. Over the past couple years, it's been the best place to see King. Or are you far away from Sarasota.
                      Maybe I was being a bit to literal here...I saw King at the UTD event at the Van Wetzel theater a few years ago. I didn't get to meet him per se only listen to him on stage. To answer you question I'm only about an hour and a half to an hour and forty five minutes away.
                      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Hey, that's almost close enough to hang around town once in a while (during the winter) and catch an incidental sighting. Years ago, I made a trip to Maine, just to see Stephen King country. While in Bangor, I drove past the house (of course) and later stopped at Bett's Bookstore. They had a copy of the Grant Dark Tower and I asked about it. The one clerk in the store said he didn't know anything about the special books, but said to come back the next day when the owner would be around. So the next day I returned and met the great Stu Tinker. When I asked about the book, he asked if I was the one that came in the day before, and I said yes. Then he told me that "Steve came in just about an hour or so after you left." I hurt my knee kicking myself.

Comment

I once stalked Christopher Fowler, until I finally caught him....

Though CF had done it to himself - a few years back when he released his childhood memoirs he did a series of treasure hunts around london, leaving signed copies of books, and posting clues on his blog. I turned up to two locations minutes after another fan (well, I work in London, and they weren't going to miss be if I was gone for the odd hour)

I finally managed success when a clue was posted for a park I knew was about 5 minutes away from my office, so I ran (yes, really) out of the office, jumped in a cab, and made it there quickly, despite the traffic in central London. No book. Just as I thought I was too late yet again, who should I spot wandering into the park, but Mr Fowler, clutching a pile of books. So I had a nice chat with him, and then he said he had to put the books down, so I could find them, rather than just handing them over, left me with signed, dated and remarqued copies of the first 6 Bryant & May books. It was fair to say I was quite happy that day!
                          http://www.armadillorecords.co.uk - I've finally updated it.

Comment

Had a great evening with Joe Hill, he really is a nice bloke!

Me, my sister and Joe

Joe during the reading

And me with the books that he signed for me and friends
                            Last edited by Tito_Villa; 09-20-2011, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Outstanding, Tom! Congrats. Of course, pics will be forthcoming...
                              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Working...
                              X