No announcement yet.

Collector or Reader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With collecting, over the past few months i have really scaled down. I supose that is what getting your own place will do to you!

Comment

What defines a hoarder? I must have at least 6,000 books in the house by now, and I don't buy anywhere near what I used to. I think I just need a bigger house

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
        What defines a hoarder? I must have at least 6,000 books in the house by now, and I don't buy anywhere near what I used to. I think I just need a bigger house
        You're right on the money. A hoarder is just a collector who needs more space.

Comment

Christ 6,000 books? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
            Holy crapy! I'm not entirely shure we have many more than that in the warehouse right now.
            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
              Holy crapy! I'm not entirely shure we have many more than that in the warehouse right now.
              That's because you guys foolishly send your lovely books away!!! LOL!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tito_Villa View Post
                Christ 6,000 books? Really?
                I'd say that's a low estimate, really. I brought over 2,000 with me from Ireland in the early '90s, and when I first came to the US I went nuts buying books. I used to hit the bookstore every Tuesday at lunchtime (the new books came in on Tuesday) and I would easily buy 10+ books a week. I've slowed down a lot now, mainly because our local library is so good, but I still bought at least 30 books in the past month.

I'd love to catalog all the books and see what I have. I bought a barcode scanner and software years ago that was supposed to help with that, but I found that it wouldn't scan any of the older books from the UK, and even the newer books were a problem because you had to pick the right edition from a list pulled back from the Internet.

Comment

If i had that many books my girlfriend would make my life a misery!
                  Last edited by Tito_Villa; 09-02-2011, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tito_Villa View Post
                    If i had that many books my girlfriend would make my like a misery!
                    I just did a quick estimate of what I have and it's around 300! I'm out of room with this number so congrats to Dave for literally having a library in his house.
                    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Try Librarything. I have most of my collection on there. It's pretty good.
                      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                        Try Librarything. I have most of my collection on there. It's pretty good.
                        Mike
                        Sounds interesting and useful. I'll have to check it out.

And 6000 books! I'd like to reach that number some day...

Comment

Librarything helps me keep mine straight!

Comment

Hey,
                            We can Friend up on librarything if Y'all want.
                            http://www.librarything.com/profile/mhatchett

Comment

Hi Mike - Appreciate your sharing the librarything link, I've been procrastinating and generally dithering about cataloguing my modest collection for some time now, and you've provided a bottler of an answer - sweeeet

Comment

I spent Saturday culling books from my collection. Just too many for the space I have. And I still have books sitting on the floor waiting for some place to go.....

Hunter

Comment

Working...
                                X