Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Collector or Reader?

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Without a doubt, reader. Since discovering CD though I have found some great editions of books to read which are also forming a very nice collection. I love having a great story, well presented with good artwork etc. I think it is really cool to have a book signed by the authour (and artist) who have obviously worked hard on getting the story out there.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    Definitely a reader and a collector like others here. Was only a reader before discovering CD, but have accumulated a decent collection since that time. That collection will be over 100 signed or limited books in some way once I receive everything I have pre-ordered right now. I don't know what I've spent on my collection and don't think I want to know. While I love collecting the books, I intend on reading most of them when I have time. Will be rereading It when the anniversary edition arrives, and I intend on doing the same with Lonely Road edition of Clegg's Vampricon trilogy

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour divemaster's Avatar
    I have 2 book collections, both of which developed from my love of reading.

1) Stephen King. I have all the trade first and many signed / limited and specialty editions. I have read ALL of them. This is truly a labor of love, as I love the thrill of collecting these editions as well as the pleasure of reading such great books.

2) Arkham House publishing. I have many of these, including most of the "holy grails." However, I have only read a few of them. So this is more of "collecting" than reading, although I do pull one off the shelf from time to time to give it a go, and my bucket list I guess includes the intention of eventually reading all of them.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    I just wish I had started an Arkham collection.
    Unfortunately, I never got around to this - except for the three Lovecraft collections.

Not first printings, unfortunately.

sk
    Last edited by frik51; 09-22-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post
    I just wish I had started an Arkham collection.
    Unfortunately, I never got around to this - except for the three Lovecraft collections.

Not first printings, unfortunately.

sk
    I agree. The Arkham House stuff really just has a great "feel" to them. I think it's the cover art which really draws me into that classic horror feeling.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Still a reader first. Otherwise I would have jumped on the Dracula bandwagon, regardless of how many copies of it I have. After all, I don't have THAT one!
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication jhanic's Avatar
    At one time I had an almost complete Arkham House collection, missing only a few VERY high-priced items. I got bored with it and sold it for a very good price. I kind of regret it now, but the five-figure amount I got was appreciated at the time.

John

Junior Member Visitor BookCollecting101's Avatar

Glad to hear it...

I enjoy this thread. I have always thought I was a rare breed of collector who actually reads their books and intends to read all of them. I have always thought the perfect retirement would be with a library of well loved books waiting to be re-read and books waiting to be read for the first time. As retirement is rapidly approaching - as hard as that is to say... I really started building my collection about 4 or 5 years ago. I love fine bound books and signed first editions many of which I bought on Ebay. I bought a signed copy of Breakfast of Champions and received an email from the Justice Department that it was a fake. I really hate that. The Justice Department continued to email me about the case against the seller. He eventually got three years in jail. I ramble... Anyhow - it is good to see all of you reader/collectors actually read their books. I am very careful and it is very hard to tell I have even read them - but read them I do. The purpose of my library is for my enjoyment. Some of my books have increased in value, sure. That is not why I buy them, however. I can't even say they are to bequeath to someone as I have no children and only one niece who would not be caught dead reading "my sort of book". They are for my pleasure... and a pleasure it is.
    Debra Harrison
    www.bookcollecting101.com
    www.finehomedecor101.com

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library. ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Teriw's Avatar
    Collector of Stephen King, I have only read a few of the actual books and stick to my ereader for the rest because its much easier on my neck

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    I only buy what I'll read, so I've never been one to build up a collection based on publisher rather than author.

It's a lot easier to hang on to e-books, though. I was copying my e-book folder to a new PC yesterday and noticed I have over 6.35Gb of e-books, and much of that is still compressed in rar format. I'm sure that would be a house full of books in paperback form

Grant Wootton
    Yep, can't get by without my Kindle nowadays - never thought I'd be converted, but yep, it happens to the best of us Still though, there's nothing like the tactile sensation of a real book ........ collector/reader tis I
    Last edited by Grant Wootton; 02-23-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Reader Reader Reader.I Do not own a Kindel or any book reader.I am not to technological and have heard good and bad things about e-readers.I love to hold a book not a computer.I sometimes feel that I was born 100 years to late.

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    I am reading more and more books via my phone (Kindle App) and my PC (Kindle App) but I still love the feel of a hardbound book. I also like larger paperbacks, ARCs are a good example. For whatever reason I am not comfortable reading small paperback books. I always feel like I am bending the pages to far. You don't need to tell me I'm weird I already know.

Senior Member Inmate
    Up to my eyeballs in a very red state. I'm sort of a purple girl.
    Absolutely reader -- the collecting just happens, it grows out of the fact that I love to own books. My books range from beat-to-hell to personally autographed beautiful books that I still touch and read.
    "What shall I say when my lord comes a calling? What shall I say when he knocks on my door? What shall I say when his feet enter softly? Leaving the marks of his grave on my floor."

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour divemaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    I Do not own a Kindel or any book reader.I am not to technological and have heard good and bad things about e-readers.I love to hold a book not a computer.I sometimes feel that I was born 100 years to late.
    I agree. I don't see myself ever reading a book on a computer or a phone or whatever. There's just something about a real honest-to-life book that speaks to me.

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    I love this discussion, and it should probably have it's own thread, but that would require a lot of work to sort it out of this one. For me, I do love a good book, but truthfully these days I've negated my books to looking pretty on the shelf. When I read them I read my digital copies. I've even gotten to the point where if I'm re-reading something I already own, I've been buying digital versions of them. This way I have the books with me all the time, it helps that I'm a child of technology as well. Pretty much the only thing I still read in print on a regular baisis are my Hellboy comics, and that's only because I don't want to wait for the delayed digital release of them.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    I guess I'm too old-fashioned. I buy books that I want or might want to read one day. I like the feel, the smell, the sight and even the sound a real book makes while being read. I do have a few books on a Kindle app for my PC, but I can't get motivated to read them--if I could fiure out a way to print them from the Kindle app, I'd give them a shot, but until then, they'll probably just remain there.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tito_Villa's Avatar
    Never read an e-book and never will, you can't get much better than finding a comfy spot to sit and read a nice page turner.

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Teriw's Avatar
    I thought some of you may agree with this photo I just came across, though of yas right away....

406375_371857856171877_209125412445123_1361634_565813731_n.jpeg

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    The edge of a valley in the middle of a desert.
    I am a reader/collector. I usually will only buy a book that I know I will read. If I really liked a book I'll try to find a signed copy or limited edition of the book if it is available. I read mostly on my iPad because I don't want to ruin a book with my grubby fingers.